• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Did Everyone Get Started Owning Buns??

I had a couple as a kid and never really bonded with them.
Then when I went to uni I was really missing have animals around me. I belonged to another forum and asked about small animals and some people suggested a house rabbit. I hadn't really planned on doing anything about it and was researching and the week before I was starting back for my third year I went into a pet shop and hidden at the back was a litter of buns. The shop didn't sell animals and hasn't done since, his friend had had a litter though. They were all really tame and were licking my fingers through the bars :love: . I left the shop but kept thinking about one of them in particular.

I had to clear it with one of my housemates (chris) as he was scared of rabbits. I went back the next day and got Molly. That was 3 and a half years ago now. :D

biggles was a compromise from my ex, he liked fish, but ya cant cuddle a fish i love cats but he hated them so i got biggles for xmas at 12 weeks old from a loverly breeder, we could of got a dog but we lived in a small place with a small yard and it would not of been fair

I got my first rabbit when we moved into a house from a flat when I was 10 :D I named her after dog of the boy I fancied :oops: :lol: She was an overweight (our fault for not feeding her properly), grumpy dutch who I loved heaps and got me hooked on buns for life :love:

About 3 months ago I didn't even know I wanted a rabbit, let alone too. But I adore them and would have more if I had the room.

I had a fantastic nethie when I was really little, then a dutch in my early teens and a dwarf lop we sadly had to rehome when in my early 20s because our chow chow tried everything to eat him and it wasn't fair on either of them. Then I had a break for a long time until Frank arrived on my doorstep and I promised to foster him until we found a good home for him. Didn't happen like that. :lol: He was here about half an hour and I'd decided he didn't need another home at all. He was in such a dirty, grotty, horrid little hutch it broke my heart thinking of someone else having him and keeping him in a similar one then the kids getting bored with him like his previous home and the adults only seeing to him when they could be bothered. So I cleared out my 6 foot by 10 kennel and run that was being used as a shed for junk and it makes an admirable rabbit hutch - all bunnies should have that much room. Then I got Dulcie through a rescue to keep him company.

I'd always wanted a rabbit as a kid, but my Mum always said no. When I met my boyfriend when I was 18, he knew I loved animals and always used to take me to pets at home and watch me get all happy when I was watching the fish and rabbits. One day we went in and there was a beautiful Harlequin dwarf lop in there and I instantly fell for her. She came up to us and kept standing up for a look. I couldn't stop thinking about her. The following day my Mum went down with my Dad for some cat food and saw her too. I hadn't mentioned her to my Mum was was weirded out when she said she had seen a lovely rabbit :) A few more days later, me and Mum went again and she was still there and desperate for a cuddle. After about an hour of seeing if we could afford it, we brought her home, named her Biscuit and still have her today. She's 3 next month :) and I love her more and more everyday.
I belive it was fate that we got her with all the vet bills she's had. Had she gone to a kid, i strongly belive she wouldn't be here today :(

Nibbles was an impulse buy :oops: Well, Mum bought me a bunny book that said bunnys need a friend so I went out and bought one. Didn't know anything about how to pair bunnys up, and went for a girl coz Biscuit wasn't spayed at the time. So naturally we had to split them.
Then about a year later we got Bobby from BARC for her, then we got Wuzzle from BARC again for Biscuit. Dylan and Minnie were coz I fell in love with Minnie when she was 3 weeks, and Dylan seemed to be the only boy from the litter. Then Minnie died, and we got Pheebs frm RSPCA, and then Bobby died and we got Wookie :)

We had a couple of bunnies (Starsky, then Bunny) when we were children. They were more classed as my sister's though. They led quite a good life considering. They did live alone, but had the full run of our garage, garden time when we were home and came into the kitchen for some fuss too.

When I'd left university, I moved into my own flat, and decided I wanted a house but (this was about 8 years ago). She was beautiful, and I adored her.

flopsy.jpg

She was bonded with Patch, but sadly went to the Bridge at 18 months, due to my lack of knowledge of bunny care:cry:

That is where Bobby (recently at the bridge) comes into the picture as he came to live with Patch, decided he didn't like being a house bunny, so my dad and I built them the run (which we still use) and they lived outside.

Then Squidgy came into our lives and I thought our bunny family was complete.

Until I saw Salt and Pepper on RIN and as we'd moved and had a larger garden, we decided we could love a couple more!

Sadly Patch went to the Bridge, and Bobby was bonded with Nougat, and then Ruby when Nougs left us. Bobby left us two weeks ago, and we now have Ruby and Pippin (yet to be bonded - gulp!)

I love bunnies and I don't know what I would do without them now. It's funny, when we were younger, my sister was always the animal lover, adn now it's definitely me that's taken over that role.

Last edited:
About 3 months ago I didn't even know I wanted a rabbit, let alone too. But I adore them and would have more if I had the room.

I have to say I was the same. Ive always wanted a dog, OH wanted a cat. I don't like cats, and he said it was unfair to have a dog, so when Charlie came along it was fate. My cousin went on holiday and Charlie went to my Aunties for his holiday, however, my cousin decided that she had had enough and just left him there :(

My auntie had had rabbits before, but has a lot on her plate so I came home (Charlie was in Hartlepool) and did my research (and found you lovely guys), four weeks, a hutch and a lot of knowledge later I went back for Charlie and the rest is history.

I love Charlie to pieces, well I love all of them, but he is my special bun, and would never be without them. I hate coming on here and seeing the buns in need page, but my OH is the sensible part of me :) We have a limit of 4. three down, one to go!!

But just cos he is sensible with number of bunnies doesn't mean that most of my pay doesn't go on them, rather than us!

I had two that were bonded when i was little, i've got my own house now and we are settled so decided to get some more, first all i did my homework and boy am i glad it had all changed since i'd had them, we then started looking about and got offered a bonded pair from a rescue that was shutting down, these were the last two left :) in the end it fell thro she decided to rehome them with her step sons :( while looking for someone to build us a hutch to home 2 i came across an advert for a bunny, my heart went out to him, he was in the smallest hutch i'd ever seen, i contacted hugos there who wrote to the owner but they wern't interested :( after getting advice from her i went up and got him thank god i did, i asked the lady a few questions and was told he didn't come out of his cage very often they worked full time, his hutch was only 2.5ftx2, he was in sawdust and had the cheap mix food with a carrot thrown in on the sawdust, they didn't know what sex it was they wasn't bothered they said, the bowl was screwed to the wall so never been washed, his water bottle was green, when he came to us his cage was filled it with hay he went wild, took him to the vets for his vac's & a health check - all clear just a slightly overgrown front tooth, a run that was 6x6 with pipes and houses in and he loves it, he didn't no what to do with himself when he came here it was like christmas to him :D he's just getting use to us now he's started running over to us :love: after xmas we are having him neutered and going to get him a friend :love:

My mum bought my brother his first rabbit just as i started having my first memories at 2ish. We just loved them and had one more, and then i decided to purchase Toffee and paired him up with Gho :)

we have always had animals and i got my first one at 17 called auckland westminster lol a great big grey lop and a big softy.He was a babe when i got him from my aunt who was given a mis sexed pair :( she kept them all apart from auckland x

It started when I went to agriculture school.
The first small animals we got were two rabbits named Nala and Kiara, and I loved feeding them leaves through the wires of their cage:D
We also tried to breed rabbits there... sadly the first litter went horribly wrong and the mother killed her newborns... (this was neither Nala or Kiara, they were never bred) so my classmate brought her rabbit who was already an experienced mother.
We tried to breed her to a lop dwarf to get purebreds...but it turned out Balder (the male) was close to sterile so instead we used a Netherland dwarf named Rambo:oops: (Bad idea...I know)
Still, a month later Zakura was born. After another two weeks she was mine. (But of course I didn't bring her home yet, she lived with her mother till she was 7 weeks old)
Zakura was a mean bunny, but I loved her all the same and still do. :D

I had asked my mother to let me have a rabbit earlier, and she went from saying: no, the dog's gonna eat it, to: maybe we could borrow one from a nearby farm and see how it goes, to: okay as long as you pay for it yourself.
Needless to say, the dog never ate her:lol: She even climbed on him once when she was a baby. I've never dared to actually set them loose together though:roll: Though I don't think it would go that bad, he's pretty good to my small pets (a school hamster actually came up and touched him on the nose once before running and hiding :lol: Max just looked at him)

Last edited:
We had a family bunny called Starsky (Dutch) before I was born. Then we had Pinky (REW) who I remember died when I was about 5ish. Then Tippy (Otter Rex), Truffles (Havanah Rex?) and Snuffles (Orange Rex) when we were growing up.

When I was 23 I went travelling in Australia and whilst I was there my sister got 2 buns from a pet shop who were supposed to be two girls... they weren't :roll: I decided that I was going to have one of the baby buns as my new flatmate when I returned to Glasgow. That's when I got Joey (baby kangaroo :lol:). Then I got Skye from SSPCA and then Leo from Rabbit Rehome. I love bunnies!! :love:

My grandparents bought me my first rabbit when I was 4. He was a lovely black and white dutch called Sam. I wasn't a normal child (i.e. didn't lose interest within the first few weeks) and spent every available minute with him. We spent 8 years together but I knew after he died that I would always have rabbits in my life.

Sam is the bun in my avatar!

I was very down and decided I needed to get out one lunchtime - so I went to P@H to 'look at the fluffies' I'd had horses dogs and cats as a child and a recent split meant I lost my beloved cats...

... so anyway, I was looking at the buns and an assistant asked me if i needed help - I asked how fast they ran :lol::lol:;) So she siad she would show me and picked a bun out of the pen.... he didn't make it to the floor just then as as soon as I saw him I had to hold him :love::love::love: I couldn't put him down - it was instant love !!!! So after a long conversation with the assistant and cuddle with bun....

.... I bought him, an indoor cage, food, hay books etc etc etc !! Went back to work and set him up in his cage next to my desk for the afternoon before taking him home!!!:love::love:

It was a very quiet office only 3 of us in there, my boss came out of a meeting and just said ' aww who is this he's cute' :lol::lol::lol:

.... anyhow - thats my boy Gabriel my first and very special angel, who kept me sane through many more hard times that were to follow I love him so much :love::love:

edit - just in case you are wondering... my other buns are all rescue !!:lol::lol:

I had bunnies as a child & my first one that I remember was a little black bun called Snoopy - however, I have to say I feel bad as to how I looked after him. I didn't neglect him or anything, but from knowing what I know now he could have had a better life - for example having a bunny friend etc. I last kept a bunny as a child up to the age of about 15.

My first adult bunny was Roscoe who we took in as a stray in 2002 from my sister's friend who'd found him in her garden. We'd just lost one of our cats & agreed to take him on. I didn't know anything about housebuns at that time but into the house he came - there was no way I'd have let him live outside on his own permanently.

18 months later I went to the RSPCA to get him a wifelet & came back with 2 sisters for him :shock: Then when we lost Roscoe last year, Barney joined us, last xmas we decided that we should add a 2nd little boy to our trio so Ollie moved in from a local rescue. I then started volunteering in Jan this year at that rescue & now we have 18 bunnies :shock::shock::shock: The last 3 which have arrived in the last 2 weeks & I've yet to post on RU.

Hubby says that 18 is definitely our limit & there is no way we are having any more! We'll see!!!!!

Anyway as you might have gathered I am now a self confessed addict to bunnies!!! :shock::lol::lol::lol: I can't help myself as they bring me so much pleasure & can never imagine my life without them now.

We went to a garden centre to buy a patio heater but we saw Charlie sat in his food bowl eating the food and looking cute so we took him home instead of the patio heater. I did get my patio heater in the end - the following summer!

I got buns by default. I asked my dad as a kid for a puppy but he said no so I moved down the scale of the next biggest pet (cat) until I got to rabbit and he said aye. I got two sisters one of which is still with me today and the rest I adopted as I worked in the animal rescues. They are my favourite animal and the only species I've ever had as a pet and I love them so much. I could never not have rabbits now.

I had always always always wanted a rabbit as a child and was never allowed.
My OH's mum agreed to allow me to have one at her house, and well it went on from there. I now have my own house with alot of buns and love them too bits!!!! :love: :love:

I blame my parents!!!!

I never ever had any before, but then in pets at home one day I saw a giant bunny and just thought "my god that's so adorable" (I always thought they were cute but never wanted them before. That was THE moment I decided I wanted some). Then I got my lad in April :D and now every time I look at him stretched out on my bed or playing in my room I just fall more and more in love :love:

I got buns by default. I asked my dad as a kid for a puppy but he said no so I moved down the scale of the next biggest pet (cat) until I got to rabbit and he said aye. I got two sisters one of which is still with me today and the rest I adopted as I worked in the animal rescues. They are my favourite animal and the only species I've ever had as a pet and I love them so much. I could never not have rabbits now.

Kind of the same here!!

I did 8 mnths of research (aged 11) on buns, basic care etc then went looking around for the suitable bun. Heard of a local woman having an accidental litter, discussed with her, asking colours etc, then got to work on the parents!

Eventually they gave in went to see the 9 babies, all were varieties of grey and then there was one pure black with two white socks, and i knew she was the bun for me! Knew what i was going to call her instantly, Starlight, and spent all my time with her.

Then when i was up in Liverpool, my ex's. dads bosses rabbits had had an accidental litter (found out later it was their 5th accident :shock::roll:) so ex brought me Shadow:love:

Moonshine was impulse buy, i saw her little white nose and knew i had to have her! I was on lunch break at time (animal college so tutor didnt mind:D) She was naughty from the word go! And was abused in the shop :( (my friend did work experience there and saw how they were handled) the first 2 months i had her, as soon as i opened her hutch door, she would cower in the corner and shake :cry: Now she is naughty mischevious and a thief!

Storm was a gift to try and cheer me up from my college friends when my beautiful Starlight passed away.

Scraggles is Moonshines baby from an accident when going to meet a potential partner for her (was told previously he was neutered :evil:)

Back