• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

housing advice

jayned

Young Bun
Hiya

we adopted next doors bunny when they emigrated. We think he's about 4 years old (he was NEVER picked up in all that time :cry: ) and has been in a small 4ft wide hutch. He's a BIG bunny, so we built a run for him to have more room.

Now the hutch is pretty old and getting damp and as winter is fast approaching we want to get him a lovely new bunny pad! All of the hutches I've seen seem to be too small..even the 6ft wide ones are only 18inches high! We would like him to be able to stand on his hind legs...which he can only do when he's on his lead in the garden! I really like the idea of converting a child's playhouse for him to use...have seem one that is 4x4ft and 5ft high. He will obviously get a good sized run added to this as well (husband & dad are maing one)

What I would like to know is do you think 4ftx4ft will be ok for him. We'll add some shelves and a ramp for him inside. WE haven't the room for a 4x6ft shed.

Thanks
JAyne & Tommy bunny
x

I'm no expert.. but he sounds like he's got a lovely deal living with you! :D

Brand new bigger home.. and run.. and somebody that loves him..
What more could he want?!

Sarah xx

If you haven't got the room for a 6 x 4 shed then a 4 x 4 is probably the better option, at least he gets 16 square foot of space. Another option would be a 6 foot double storey hutch. http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/hutches_forsale.asp the picture of this one does it no justice in showing how big it is.

Have a look at some of the people on here who have done some wonderful designs and really made palaces for their buns, if you cannot find the piccies, shout and someone may post some for you and someone may find you some old threads.

Janice

hi

well done for giving this bunny a home - sounds like anything's an improvement on what he had before :D

You can get 6x2x2 hutches from this company
http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=44&categoryID=6
But they're not cheap and are flat packed - good thing is the roof opens, which is good with a bunny not used to being handled, and delivery is a couple of days usually (although it's taking me months to get around to building mine!)

Good thing about a hutch is it's easier to insulate against the cold, and a double decker would keep the run area dryish, and be masses more floor space than a 4x4 playhouse. I've put a shower curtain around the front of mine and fastened a couple of duvets down over it on these cold nights we've had - I think Benny was warmer than the bunnies I have in the shed - although they have each other to snuggle up to.

When Benny lived in the shed with his brother Pepsi, I gave them a cat box to cosy up in, but Pepsi ate the roofing felt - I cut it all off after that :(

And just for balance, one for the other camp :lol:

The reason I prefer the shed/playhouse option is because you can actually get in it with them, so you can just sit on the floor (I have vetbed on the floor in mine over the top of lino). This is great for nervous bunnies or those who don't like being picked up as they are able to come up to you and walk all over you, you can hand feed them etc, all within a slightly cosier environment especially if it's raining! I have hutches in my sheds (Dudley has a 4*4 shed cut down to about 4' high as well so I can picture exactly the size you mean), so that they can go in to the extra cosiness if they want to. Usually though Dudley sits in his covered cat basket which is also in there!

I reckon 4*4 would be fine as a base size for your bunny, especially if you can put another layer in it and attach a run. Remember in the wild, bunnies spend long periods of time sitting in underground warrens, coming out to exercise at dawn and dusk, so as long as he has good opportunity to come out and exercise (bunnyproofing your garden so he can have supervised time out is also great) I reckon that size would be fine.

I like the playhouses too! We converted a storage shed for Hobbes and Phoebe but I wish I'd paid more for a playhouse now! I'll know for next time.
This is the bunnys shed, they have access to the run all the time and also get a run round the garden every day. My two are quite small so there's plenty of space for them.

shed.jpg

insideshed.jpg

thanks for the replies

Alison, that's one of the reasons I'd like a playhouse, so I can sit in there with him, as he's pretty nervous. Not really had much human contact. bless him

we are going to insulate the walls with polystyrene rolls and wood and my Dad is going to build a wooden box for him to snuggle in/sit on/chew!!

Thanks again guys...looks like Tommy will have a new home for Christmas.

The 4x4ft we're thinking of getting him is called, funnily enough,. 'Bunny Playhouse'

or alternatively, could you have bunny living in the house with you? You could then spend lots of time with him and they are so much easier to look after in this weather!

Kate

thanks everyone for your replies.

we are now going with a 6x4ft shed!

we were going to go with a wendy house, but as I have a chronic spinal problem, hubby didn't want me to be bending too much!

Have found a shed for £20....bargain!!

would love to have Tommy in the house but we have 2 cats and 9 rats already!

wow that is a bargain.. he'll have a fantastic house to live in! Im sure he will be alot happier. :D
Where did u find such a bargain?

Back