• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Rabbits

Alvins go all over the floor, mostly when he jumps out of the litter tray tho.... if he gets a fright the litter goes every where too :roll:

i think pooing everywhere is the norm...its the orange everlasting wee stains that drive me mad! what is it about male bunny wee? even when neutered elvis's wee was awful on the carpet- i still have stains around the house now to remind me of him!:rolleyes:

I would still get him neutered. This would probably limit the amount of poos on your floor. In any case he may mark a bit around the females if you keep them close to each other.

My neutered bunny boy is a house rabbit. He only misses by about five poos a day on the floor. And I think that's okay. When I had female bunnies around him he had a tendency to mark in front of their cage.

Today I am going to try to get him to use his new litter tray. I have put some kitchen roll in the one he "always" uses so when he wee's in there I can put that kitchen roll in the new potty and he will know what it is for! He hasnt used his new one yet, its much bigger than his little red one, so that may be where the confusion lies.

L x

bertie has 3 littertrays, 1 in cage,1 in loun-es and 1 on balcony. He uses all of them, but the 1 in his cage is his main one, although he's never locked up in his cage.
There's always a few poos infront of eachtray, if I clean them up some more will appear, so i think he's just marking his territot.
The one on the balcony has more poos infront of it, I guess cos we also have birds and 2 families of squirrels that feed and isit there, so he's making sure they know he's here.

I would recommend getting him neutered although it took the vet to persuade me, as I didn't want him to have an unnecessary operation, but if he's gonna be indoors, he'll spray when he matures,and that can b a bit whiffy and mark things. Also he'll be frustrated his whole life, and may not live as long.

It may help to calm him when he bcomes a teenager and starts acting like any other teenage boy, but it is your choice and your bun.

I was really worried that he'd never be the same again, but he is more gorgeous and cute than ever!

Been to good old wilkos.. and got the last double sized "mattress protector" and its PERFECT! And what a bargain for £6! I was excited when I found it! Its much better and it fits perfectly in the crate.

We have bunny proofed the kitchen so now stewy has free range whilst we're not at home!

Also, whilst I was out this morning I put some kitchen roll in his potty (in his crate) and when I got home I put the wee'd on paper into his new potty and he has visited his new potty on his own!! Yay! Only once.... but its a step in the right direction, its the first time he's got in fully on his own!

We have just hoovered up all the odd poo's that my dog missed clearing up (lol) and I am looking online now for a dirt devil type of thing, easier to get one of those out to clear up poo than my hoover each time!

L x

Oh bless him - he will get there. Wilkinsons pet stain remover and toilet trainer is great for cleaning up the yellow stains everyone and 1001 carpet non hoover foam is great at getting rid of nasty smells. Buster got some delux vet bed today and it was very expensive but as he has been so brave today (castration stitches out and vhd jab) he deserved a special treat. :D :D

I use wood based cat litter also in my litter trays - I have an angora and it is pretty good doesnt seem to stick to her that badley.

As for the little accidents outside if these are just poops it will be marking his territory i think. Mine are pretty clean where thats concerned but as soon as i bring a new foster bun into the house even tho the foster buns dont have free range of the house i find that the resident buns will start dropping a few poops just to say "hey i can small ya but im the boss"...........it may wear off in time that he leaves the poops mine took a while but eventually once they had established it stopped.

What toilet trainer is that that you use!?!? From wilkos? Is it specially for bunnikins???

He's getting a bit better tho, but I am determind to stick it out no matter what! I' m going to get a handheld vacuum cleaner tomorrow (only a tenner from argos), easier for hoovering the poops!

Just got back from watching the rugby and his first "long time" alone in the kitchen and there was a fair few poops on the floor.. scent marking me thinks.. bit easier to clean up on lino than carpet mind!

L x

What toilet trainer is that that you use!?!? From wilkos? Is it specially for bunnikins???

He's getting a bit better tho, but I am determind to stick it out no matter what! I' m going to get a handheld vacuum cleaner tomorrow (only a tenner from argos), easier for hoovering the poops!

Just got back from watching the rugby and his first "long time" alone in the kitchen and there was a fair few poops on the floor.. scent marking me thinks.. bit easier to clean up on lino than carpet mind!

L x

It is there own brand and it is for puppies and kittens for the carpet, sofa rugs etc. Cheap and cheerful. Seems to do the job (I have cream carpet and it works for me) They do get better and he will get to a poo routine :lol:

So what do you do with it? Spray it on the litter tray and then that is where he will go to the toilet?! Can you link it to me on the wilko plus website... !?!?! Please

L x

No it's like a stain remover - someone on the thread mentioned the yellow stains on their carpet that gets rid of them.

For his litter tray I use Johnsons small animal disenfectant and sometimes a little litter fresh (cat stuff) i then put paper litter in with lots of hay on top. Although when I was first potty training I used newspaper and put a bit of the wee wee covered paper in his clean tray.

Oh I seee! Luckily he doesnt wee anywhere apart from his potty , its the poos that get scattered! May just be scent marking at this stage! Been using frebreeze spray to get rid of any "poo" smells that he can smell on the carpet incase he thinks its ok to do it there?!

L x

Cool thanks.. might even be helpful for my dog.. shes 17 months old but when she does get caught out and need a poo she does it in the same spot.

Thanks

Have been reading this thread with interest!:wave:
I have 2 house bunnies..Roman the french lop in avatar, and Mo, the conti in sig pic.
Roman is 'getting on in years' and was very well litter trained until i got Mo, a year ago now. Roman got neutered as he was obviously getting very frisky(inc. at my legs!LOL!)
They have free range of the house, although they 'live' in the kitchen (the kitchen is on ground floor, everything else is upstairs) and i have been using the bottom of a very large indoor cage for litter box..i have been putting there food in there as was told they like to eat and 'relieve' at same time.
I bought a 60"x40" piece of vetbed as Mo has really bad hocks(under treatment of vet) but they have both ruined it! It is so large i cant put it in washing machine so have been on hands and knees scrubbing, but the smell just will not come out and it is now quite 'tacky' due to not being able to rinse it! I also hang it on the line when the sun is out.
Roman now goes toilet wherever he likes!
It is so frustrating!
Am going to try the megazorb litter and am going to buy more vetbed, but cut it up(and the one i have too) into smaller easier to wash pieces!!!
Would like to buy more litter boxes to 'dot' around the place, and a plastic dog bed has been suggested as Mo finds it very difficult to 'hop' about sometimes due to her legs:(

Back