• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Buns in the Snow?

I didn't dispute that a winter coat was more or less affective at heat conservation, as that is its function. I just question the fact that indoor rabbits and outdoor rabbits do have other similar ways of keeping in heat short term!
I also did say that playing the snow is fine for 'healthy' rabbits that don't have any recent health problems such as yours. Just because I gave my opinion doesn't mean you should follow it. I wouldn't let Dillan play in the snow if it wasn't suitable for him i.e. he did have a health problem or was more sensitive to the cold.
All I wanted to do is create a little debate as I sometimes look at threads and maybe don't agree with whats said out of fear of being branded a 'troll' or someone saying 'anyone want trifle?' I don't participate.
I love my rabbits as much as anyone on here and I wouldn't do anything that would make them ill or worse. I wouldn't leave my rabbit out all day in the snow. I am simply questioning some peoples opinions and they are welcome to question mine!
Helen xx

i wouldnt question your view on rabbit keeping, i dont like being branded as being on a bandwagon is all just cus i happen to do the same as other members, even if i was the only one who said no id have still given that answer cus its the truth :p

I would say no do not let your housebunnies in the snow
They do not necessarily have common sense to come in when feeling cold and the change from dry indoor air to cold damp air can easily bring on resp problems

I think the thing here is for people to remember that rabbits are rabbits..they do not think like humans so will not think " I want to play in the snow"
Why risk it ?
and why on earth bring snow indoors for your housebun? They are not children so won't feel they are missing anything..give them a cuddle and some greens instead!:D

They do not necessarily have common sense to come in when feeling cold and the change from dry indoor air to cold damp air can easily bring on resp problems

I think the thing here is for people to remember that rabbits are rabbits..they do not think like humans so will not think " I want to play in the snow"
Why risk it ?
and why on earth bring snow indoors for your housebun? They are not children so won't feel they are missing anything..give them a cuddle and some greens instead!:D
He hates cuddles, loves licks on the face though, he charges at me when I am on the floor to lick my face.

Yeah they are rabbits, but Wispa is curious. And something new will be great for him.

Why risk it ?

:lol: I just brought a litter tray of snow in for my two and they loved it:love:

Feegal ate some and Sally kicked some into my dogs face.:roll:

Environmental enrichment;)

IMG_0253.jpg

I would NEVER put these two outside in the snow. Rabbits do not know what is best for them otherwise Gut Stasis would not exist and they would all hate pellets:lol:

I would not put house bunnies out in this weather. The coat they grow is dependant on the temp they have to endure which wouldnt be a minus number when kept inside. I just cant see the need to risk it. I dont however have indoor bunnies but I dont even let my outdoor buns out in it for longer than 10 mins as I just worry about them getting wet and cold.

I wouldn't let housebunnies put in the snow because it's just not worth taking a chance, even with a healthy young bunny. They don't have any more sense than a toddler and won't necessarily come in because it's too cold. They also won't know they're 'missing out' on anything by being kept indoors away from the harsh weather.

Alfie and Bubbles are outdoors, with lovely thick winter coats but they have only been out very briefly for the last couple of days and even then I kept them in an area close to the house that was free from snow, because it's got so incredibly cold the last few days.

I cannot begin to comprehend why someone would put a house bunny out in this!! Even if you don't think it's much of a risk why take it, just to get cute snow pictures :? Crazy!

While i am not saying anyone on here is wrong - a lot of very wise, knowledgeable, experienced people have said its not a good idea - i'll admit i let my girls out for about half an hour

I'd never advise anyone to do it as a 'good idea', but i dont entirely agree with the temperature change argument. Extremes of temperature do cause problems, but in a healthy rabbit going from an unheated room with the windows open, to outside in the snow in the middle of the day with the sun shining, for a short time, i think the risks are there but not massive. I think the basis of the argument is buns going from very warm centrally-heated houses out into the extreme cold with wind chill etc, then back inside and lying by radiators or on heat pads. This will cause problems, probably like chillblains in humans.

i only open the door - they choose to go in and out themselves - they are not encouraged, bribed or forced. Indi always bombs out, charges around, digs, snow plows, binkies etc. Phoenix will potter for a while but gives up quickly and goes back inside - but only just inside the door and watches from there.

I know some will disapprove, and i get why, but i wont lie or fail to comment because its against popular opinion.

and why on earth bring snow indoors for your housebun?

I have to admit I brought a handful in from the garden on Wednesday to show to the bunnies, but that was because they were having tantrums wanting to go outside, not understanding why they couldn't, and throwing my shoes around the floor to show their displeasure :lol: One whiff of the snow and a shiver at the open door... and they quickly retreated back to the living room to sit under the radiators :lol::lol::lol: They have more sense than I give them credit for sometimes ;)

I don't think they would be too thrilled now if I brought a larger amount of snow in for them to 'play' in... :lol:

Last edited:
I cannot begin to comprehend why someone would put a house bunny out in this!! Even if you don't think it's much of a risk why take it, just to get cute snow pictures :? Crazy!

I really don't get it either :? NO way would i let my 2 out even for 5 minutes, Lionel is of course sick so never in a million years but Lolly is a fit and healty (touch wood) 2 year old, that still doesn't mean i am going to put her outside just because it has snowed.

I've been thinking about this today and people's different opinions on it....and realised that for me it comes down to a weighing up of benefits and risks (much the same as I feel about feeding biscuits and so on....;) )

Benfits = 0
so even if risk = 0.00000001, it still outweighs the benefit

so....no snow jaunts for my bunnies ;)

I've been thinking about this today and people's different opinions on it....and realised that for me it comes down to a weighing up of benefits and risks (much the same as I feel about feeding biscuits and so on....;) )

Benfits = 0
so even if risk = 0.00000001, it still outweighs the benefit

so....no snow jaunts for my bunnies ;)

i get your method, but i dont see the benefits as zero - mine go out on any other given day if i open the door, and they really enjoy that too. But especially in the snow, they get a lot of physical and mental stimulation running and binkying around, digging for things they can smell etc. To me thats a significant 'benefit' that they cant get being house rabbits, even if i brought snow indoors. Just a thought.

i get your method, but i dont see the benefits as zero - mine go out on any other given day if i open the door, and they really enjoy that too. But especially in the snow, they get a lot of physical and mental stimulation running and binkying around, digging for things they can smell etc. To me thats a significant 'benefit' that they cant get being house rabbits, even if i brought snow indoors. Just a thought.

I guess....I can't personally imagine them getting any more benefit out of exercising in the snow than out of exercising in the non snow (?) but I guess every bunny is different and their behaviour is open to interpretation....if I want them to be entertained and exercised while it's this cold I just build them new indoor tunnel/maze type toys or create other diversions....although for all i know they're thinking "bother this, why isn't she letting us out to play in the interesting weather" :lol::lol: It's a shame we can't see inside their heads to tell what they want!

I guess....I can't personally imagine them getting any more benefit out of exercising in the snow than out of exercising in the non snow (?) but I guess every bunny is different and their behaviour is open to interpretation....if I want them to be entertained and exercised while it's this cold I just build them new indoor tunnel/maze type toys or create other diversions....although for all i know they're thinking "bother this, why isn't she letting us out to play in the interesting weather" :lol::lol: It's a shame we can't see inside their heads to tell what they want!

:lol::lol::lol: would make life soooo much easier! I do have the hassle of a bonded pair where Indi wants to be an outside bun and Phoenix wants to be an indoor bun! :roll: although Indi is more friendly since she's been indoors.

I wish i had my camera earlier - Indi climbed all the way up to the windows in their room (via stool, dog crate roof, shelf, windowsill...) and was perched staring out at the snow!

Yeah they are rabbits, but Wispa is curious. And something new will be great for him.

It is you who wants him to go in the snow..not him
He is not asking to go out and play in it..however small the risk..why do it..

I think its' very silly and..sorry..but irresponsible too

Surely if you open the door it's down to them if they want to go and play in it or not?

Some people here thinking you're chucking them out and shutting the door so they can't get back in...

Surely if you open the door it's down to them if they want to go and play in it or not?

Some people here thinking you're chucking them out and shutting the door so they can't get back in...
by the same rule if you took them for a ride in your car on a motorway..stopped and opened the doors..they'd jump out
I know letting them in the snow doesn't have the same high risk..but it still does pose a slight risk to their health..so again I wonder why do it:?

Enrichment :) Greens and cuddles are great but if there is never anything new or different for a rabbit to investigate it all gets a bit boring. You don't have to do it with snow but whilst it's available why not take advantage? :D A house rabbit is not going to suffer ill effects from voluntarily spending five minutes digging in a bowl of snow indoors.

I also think new experiences that are positive help make a rabbit better adjusted so that when there are changes outside your control they are less stressed.

I certainly wouldn't put outside any rabbit that had health problems but five minutes outside for a healthy house rabbit is unlikely to cause harm (providing of course the area is rabbit proof). Scamp went out last year.. it's just not Scamp proof at the moment.

Likewise if your rabbits outdoors usually, running about for a bit on the snow isn't going to cause harm. Rabbits have impressive padding on their toes. Have a feel of your rabbits skin (you'll need to bury your fingers into their fur. They feel lovely and toasty even though your fingers are cold and numb. I'm having trouble keeping Gypsy in the aviary. She rattles the door if I close it behind me when I go out to check on her.. she wants out and about. We were chasing her around the garden at midnight the night before last cos she'd snuck out when I fed her :lol:

Again, I stress I'm talking about fit healthy, adult rabbits. If you've got elderly/frail rabbits then I agree it's different.

I think that you have to be careful you don't put so much energy into protecting them from physical harm you end up compromising their mental well being. A house rabbit might choke on a treat, get a foot caught in a toy or poke an eye on a willow ball... all small possibilities that you could prevent by removing all toys... just have nice safe, padded walls. You bun would be physically safe but soon start showing signs of mental stress.

It's your rabbit though, so your decision. Weigh up the pro's and cons, factor in your individual rabbit and make your own mind up :)

Back