• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Buns in the Snow?

I have my bedroom window open everyday ( just to let in fresh air really ) however I still wouldnt be that keen to let them out.
Its not just being out in the snow, but id be worried it would stick to their fur abit ( as it has done on my dog!). And personally, my two would hate to be towel dryed. :lol:

I have never let my buns out in the snow, but I can't help but wonder...

If you left a door open and watched them, wouldn't the bunny's natural instincts take over? If the rabbit got too cold, wouldn't he just run inside? Then you could dry him off put a snugglesafe nearby, just in case?

All of those are questions because this is just random conjecture. I would just think that bunnies would come in from the snow if they got cold. They do bound around the snow in the wild...

All animals have inbuilt adaptations to changes in temperatures. Just because an animal becomes acclimatised to a given temperature such as that they experience in a house, it doesn't mean they will drop dead when they experience an 'extreme' change in temperature. As I said My rabbit loved playing out in the snow and experienced no adverse effects. And I'm pretty sure any other young healthy rabbit such as him would be completely fine.
He wouldn't run outside and stay there if he couldn't cope with it! He'd immediately run straight back indoors to be warm.
Helen xx

I'm sorry but I still disagree, extreme temperature change can cause a bunny to go into shock. Just because they enjoy it doesn't mean it is good for them. I'm sure a toddler would happily potter out and play out in the snow for awhile if you left the door open doen't mean it wouldn't get sick if it wasn't dressed correctly.

I know this is a breeders site but there seems to be some good info here, including how wrapping up hutches to snuggly is also dangerous http://www.verlannahill.com/Hypothermia.htm

Sorry if I have upset some people by asking this question.

Please don't be sorry. You were asking a question and thinking of your bunnies.

I hope my post didn't upset you, I was just posting what I would personally do if I had house bunnies.

*hugs*

no bandwagon, i answered a question aimed at people who keep houserabbits.. as did other house rabbit keepers. nothing in this world would make me go out in this weather in summer clothes so my rabbits will not go out if they dont have the correct winter wear either.

I really don't understand how you can compare an animal completely covered in fur to a human in 'summer clothes'. Biologically speaking I'm pretty sure that a rabbit with even a 'summer coat' will hold way more heat than a human in 'summer clothes' in cold conditions.
Basic biology shows us that all animals are able to conserve heat when they experience a decrease in temperatures. This will be done by outdoor and indoor rabbits alike. So they will both probably stop pumping blood through the veins in their ears (which i suspect is the main source of heat loss) as well as increasing their overall metabolism to generate more heat.
If my rabbit was old or had a health condition I wouldn't allow him out. But until i see convincing evidence that it will harm him I will continue to allow him to enjoy himself in the snow.
Helen xx

Why would you have upset people? You asked a question and people have different opinions on it :D

I really don't understand how you can compare an animal completely covered in fur to a human in 'summer clothes'. Biologically speaking I'm pretty sure that a rabbit with even a 'summer coat' will hold way more heat than a human in 'summer clothes' in cold conditions.
Basic biology shows us that all animals are able to conserve heat when they experience a decrease in temperatures. This will be done by outdoor and indoor rabbits alike. So they will both probably stop pumping blood through the veins in their ears (which i suspect is the main source of heat loss) as well as increasing their overall metabolism to generate more heat.
If my rabbit was old or had a health condition I wouldn't allow him out. But until i see convincing evidence that it will harm him I will continue to allow him to enjoy himself in the snow.
Helen xx
Also everyone is different, at work today I was really hot and the only way to cool off was to walk outside in the snow to cool off, all I was wearing was a t-shirt and joggers. I get really hot from walking with all my winter gear on and even walking in the snow.

I just hate to think I have upset people, or to think I wasn't really thinking about Wispa's health.

Helen xx

why do they get winter coats then? Ralph our dog has been getting his since the summer time so hes fine. as i said i wasnt telling the OP what to do i answered a question asked to everyone, i didnt jump on a bandwagon i dont let them out in the snow and just cus your bunny is ok doesnt mean mine will be.

Why did the vet tell me she thinks the cold weather outside is why Alvin has had stasis and Pearls heart has taken a turn for the worst if the coat is suitable for winter :?

I'm sorry but I still disagree, extreme temperature change can cause a bunny to go into shock. Just because they enjoy it doesn't mean it is good for them. I'm sure a toddler would happily potter out and play out in the snow for awhile if you left the door open doen't mean it wouldn't get sick if it wasn't dressed correctly.[/url]

Maybe for a long length of time any rabbit could get into difficulty if it were to be cold and wet. However an hour or so of running around happily and digging in the snow in a healthy usually indoor rabbit I don't believe will do much harm. I also think my rabbit is maybe more capable than a toddler in terms of knowing where it is and where to get to get warm.
Helen xx

Also everyone is different, at work today I was really hot and the only way to cool off was to walk outside in the snow to cool off, all I was wearing was a t-shirt and joggers. I get really hot from walking with all my winter gear on and even walking in the snow.

I just hate to think I have upset people, or to think I wasn't really thinking about Wispa's health.

I think that's an interesting point. All buns are different. For instance, my bun Eddison is prone to having an upset tummy if he eats anything outside the norm. Meanwhile, Milo eats dried out tuna chunks he finds under the fridge. :roll: Milo is a lot heartier in general, and I'd feel more confident with him testing out the snow.

Maybe some buns handle temperature regulation much better than others.

And people here are just passionate about their buns. I don't think anyone is upset at you at all. :)

Hmmmm, Bobby "got out" for about half an hour, thought she was a gonner, but when I found her lying in the fron garden... as soon as I opened the door she shot inside and lay straight next to the radiator, she was fine, BUT it was obvious it had shocked her how cold it was!!:shock: I felt awful that she had got out.. But to be honest she hasn't tried to squeeze past me again! She looks through the window from a safe distance:D

Maybe for a long length of time any rabbit could get into difficulty if it were to be cold and wet. However an hour or so of running around happily and digging in the snow in a healthy usually indoor rabbit I don't believe will do much harm. I also think my rabbit is maybe more capable than a toddler in terms of knowing where it is and where to get to get warm.
Helen xx

I know you're a bit newer to the forums, but Liz (Hugo's There) also has a unique perspective. She has been dealing with many different buns for a long time, but currently she deals with many poorly buns. She takes excellent care of them, and I think she will always be a bit more cautious than your average rabbit owner. (And there is never anything wrong with being too cautious, in my opinion.) She's a fantastic bunny mom.

No use digging heels in here, you guys just have two different opinions probably stemming from very different histories with rabbits. :wave:

No-one is upset - Its just different people giving their opinoins and advice - if you chose not to take it then there is nothing wrong with that - they are your rabbits, and your decisions as the bunnys mummy xx

I personally would not risk it - but thats my decision!

No-one is upset - Its just different people giving their opinoins and advice - if you chose not to take it then there is nothing wrong with that - they are your rabbits, and your decisions as the bunnys mummy xx

I personally would not risk it - but thats my decision!

:thumb:

why do they get winter coats then? Ralph our dog has been getting his since the summer time so hes fine. as i said i wasnt telling the OP what to do i answered a question asked to everyone, i didnt jump on a bandwagon i dont let them out in the snow and just cus your bunny is ok doesnt mean mine will be.

Why did the vet tell me she thinks the cold weather outside is why Alvin has had stasis and Pearls heart has taken a turn for the worst if the coat is suitable for winter :?

I didn't dispute that a winter coat was more or less affective at heat conservation, as that is its function. I just question the fact that indoor rabbits and outdoor rabbits do have other similar ways of keeping in heat short term!
I also did say that playing the snow is fine for 'healthy' rabbits that don't have any recent health problems such as yours. Just because I gave my opinion doesn't mean you should follow it. I wouldn't let Dillan play in the snow if it wasn't suitable for him i.e. he did have a health problem or was more sensitive to the cold.
All I wanted to do is create a little debate as I sometimes look at threads and maybe don't agree with whats said out of fear of being branded a 'troll' or someone saying 'anyone want trifle?' I don't participate.
I love my rabbits as much as anyone on here and I wouldn't do anything that would make them ill or worse. I wouldn't leave my rabbit out all day in the snow. I am simply questioning some peoples opinions and they are welcome to question mine!
Helen xx

If Wispa was old or had any health problems, then I wouldn't of had a second thought. But he's about a year and a half and a very healthy bunny, I think he would love the experience of snow. I might put some in a litter tray tomorrow, to see if he is interested and if he doesn't like it then no harm done, right?

I know you're a bit newer to the forums, but Liz (Hugo's There) also has a unique perspective. She has been dealing with many different buns for a long time, but currently she deals with many poorly buns. She takes excellent care of them, and I think she will always be a bit more cautious than your average rabbit owner. (And there is never anything wrong with being too cautious, in my opinion.) She's a fantastic bunny mom.

No use digging heels in here, you guys just have two different opinions probably stemming from very different histories with rabbits. :wave:

I am definately very cautious, I have learnt to be by experience :lol: I haven't even put my outside bunnies out in the snow, they have all been shut up in their hutches for the past week. I feel really guilty that they are not getting any exercise but still prefer that to them getting soaking wet and cold :) :wave:

Back