• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Bunnies (:

Haha. I can see it now with my bunnies when I get them, toys everywhere LOL

My boyfriend likes to moan about all of the rabbits toys everywhere :lol: ;) Poppy has 2 of the cat tunnels from ASDA and loves them, she sits in them sometimes and occasionally comes darting out and starts digging at James' legs then run off again :lol: I think she's playing with him :lol::lol:

My boyfriend likes to moan about all of the rabbits toys everywhere :lol: ;) Poppy has 2 of the cat tunnels from ASDA and loves them, she sits in them sometimes and occasionally comes darting out and starts digging at James' legs then run off again :lol: I think she's playing with him :lol::lol:

Awwh that's is cute ^^

ive got 2 house bunnies its the first time me and my partner have had bunnies i got floppy 18 months ago he was ment to be a dwaf lop but hes massive now hes not a giant tho. he took abit of training to do beacause hes in the house but it was well worth it. in october i thought it was time he got a friend so i got coco i put them in the same hutch but its split up bacause floppys so much bigger than coco, were still trying to put them together when there out. the only thing i would say i have to clean them out every other day because there in the house but we wouldnt have it any other way now, even my partner loves them and he has never liked any pets but he loved floppy and coco. they have got so much personality floppy loves a cuddle and hates the vets but never lets me put him down for the vet just jumps into my arms. :D

good luck if yoyu get rabbits

let me tell you the truth about house rabbits.

i have four.

they cost about forty pounds a month each to keep (including insurance).
they destroy your home.

yes, i love them.
no, i won't be doing it again!

i have four.

they destroy your home.

yes, i love them.

I will admit that house buns can destroy your house. Our first 2 were not chewers and didn't destroy anything with the exceptions of a few bit wires before we rabbit proofed. The one before Julie totally ruined the baseboards in one room. After she went to the the bridge we had to replace the rooms baseboards and flooring. It was a new house too but we still got another rabbit just did more rabbit proofing. Julie is a pistol and it is hard to stay one step ahead of her on the rabbit proofing front. It is just an on going process. We rabbit proof and it is fine for a while then one day she figures how to get to everything and we start anew. To us she is worth every penny and all the thinking and hard work that she causes.

Happybun is quite right!! House buns are destructive, messy and expensive! I've had my thinking cap on for some other considerations :D If you get a rabbit I would strongly recommend you get bunny insured vet costs can be huge! An out of hours consultation just to walk in the door is £120 and the rascals rarely get ill during normal hours!! If you search on here about vet bills you will see that many people have spent hundreds of pounds some onto treble figures! Also having a house bunny makes it very awkward for going away on holiday or even a night away! Have you researched to see if you have a rabbit boarder who offers indoor accommodation near you? Rabbits need to be regularly fed and checked on as they can develop a problem and go downhill rapidly so you would need to have someone who knows about rabbit behaviour willing to help feed and do the checks if you are away!

I found that I had to train myself to almost walk looking at my feet and looking before I turned to move! Bunnies are so silent and they can appear from nowhere at your feet so the risk of treading on them is high when you're new to indoor bunnies! Things like loo seats must be kept shut at all times just in case bunny decides to jump up!

I've had my two from little and neither of them likes to be picked up or cuddled! I would never want to go through having a bunny spayed again either it was very stressful! I definitely agree that if you are expecting cuddles etc you will have to go to a rescue where the bunnies character is already known!

On another note as bunnies can live for over 10yrs have you considered a long term plan for when you leave Uni? It's just a thought as when I left I had a place of my own that didn't work out and I had to move back in with my parents who would not have allowed me indoor bunnies!

Like you I thought I had done enough research before getting my two, but in reality it was a steep learning curve once I had them! I absolutely adore them but for many reasons I won't be doing it again!

I had three house bunnies at one point, when we moved house two of them got moved outside. So e bunnies are better than others at being indoors. I would speak to a rescue and find a bunny who isn't too destructive and is used to being indoors.

My strawberry was a nightmare inside, he ate everything, kept me up all night digging at carpets and destroyed the house.

We now have Mr B indoors who is an angel. He lives in the utility and kitchen without any cage and doesn't really chew. We still have to make sure cables are away as he will bite then but he doesn't chew carpet, skirting boards or the units like strawberry did.

We had Mr B from a baby and he has always lived inside with us. No matter how much I tried he is not a cuddle bun. He hates being picked up of even stroked. He also gets hay everywhere!!!

I will admit that house buns can destroy your house. Our first 2 were not chewers and didn't destroy anything with the exceptions of a few bit wires before we rabbit proofed. The one before Julie totally ruined the baseboards in one room. After she went to the the bridge we had to replace the rooms baseboards and flooring. It was a new house too but we still got another rabbit just did more rabbit proofing. Julie is a pistol and it is hard to stay one step ahead of her on the rabbit proofing front. It is just an on going process. We rabbit proof and it is fine for a while then one day she figures how to get to everything and we start anew. To us she is worth every penny and all the thinking and hard work that she causes.

I'll second this :thumb: My two are a pleasure and a pain inside ;)

ive got 2 house bunnies its the first time me and my partner have had bunnies i got floppy 18 months ago he was ment to be a dwaf lop but hes massive now hes not a giant tho. he took abit of training to do beacause hes in the house but it was well worth it. in october i thought it was time he got a friend so i got coco i put them in the same hutch but its split up bacause floppys so much bigger than coco, were still trying to put them together when there out. the only thing i would say i have to clean them out every other day because there in the house but we wouldnt have it any other way now, even my partner loves them and he has never liked any pets but he loved floppy and coco. they have got so much personality floppy loves a cuddle and hates the vets but never lets me put him down for the vet just jumps into my arms. :D

good luck if yoyu get rabbits

awwwh thanks!

i have four.

they destroy your home.

yes, i love them.

haha! thats what i love about bunnies or really any animal tbh. they may chew stuff etc but they are good company etc. and they'll be worth every penny.

Happybun is quite right!! House buns are destructive, messy and expensive! I've had my thinking cap on for some other considerations :D If you get a rabbit I would strongly recommend you get bunny insured vet costs can be huge! An out of hours consultation just to walk in the door is £120 and the rascals rarely get ill during normal hours!! If you search on here about vet bills you will see that many people have spent hundreds of pounds some onto treble figures! Also having a house bunny makes it very awkward for going away on holiday or even a night away! Have you researched to see if you have a rabbit boarder who offers indoor accommodation near you? Rabbits need to be regularly fed and checked on as they can develop a problem and go downhill rapidly so you would need to have someone who knows about rabbit behaviour willing to help feed and do the checks if you are away!

I found that I had to train myself to almost walk looking at my feet and looking before I turned to move! Bunnies are so silent and they can appear from nowhere at your feet so the risk of treading on them is high when you're new to indoor bunnies! Things like loo seats must be kept shut at all times just in case bunny decides to jump up!

I've had my two from little and neither of them likes to be picked up or cuddled! I would never want to go through having a bunny spayed again either it was very stressful! I definitely agree that if you are expecting cuddles etc you will have to go to a rescue where the bunnies character is already known!

On another note as bunnies can live for over 10yrs have you considered a long term plan for when you leave Uni? It's just a thought as when I left I had a place of my own that didn't work out and I had to move back in with my parents who would not have allowed me indoor bunnies!

Like you I thought I had done enough research before getting my two, but in reality it was a steep learning curve once I had them! I absolutely adore them but for many reasons I won't be doing it again!

im defo getting them insured for starts! there is a boarding center also i know people who can look after them.
Im getting a bun(nies) from a rescue too :) has they will know what the bun(nies) is like already :)
Long term I'm applying for jobs and im defo keeping my bun(nies) not matter what :)
Ive done alot of research and im seem to be okay at the mo :) x

Back