• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horse hay for bunnies?

You'll need somewhere to store the bale.

I'm sure that you are talking about large bale hay rather than the regular sized bales.

Make sure it smells good - not dusty or mouldy

Sounds great. I buy small bales (local organic) for £3.00 each. They last about two weeks - eight rabbits and two guinea pigs.

Hay's hay! I used to take some hay home from the farm when we had a horse for our rabbits if we were running short, although not a bale.

Used to have their straw for bedding too - still have some in a carrier bag in fact! Haven't bought too much straw for a couple of years as topped it up from the farm but now we don't have the horse will have to buy it all this winter!

Hay's hay! I used to take some hay home from the farm when we had a horse for our rabbits if we were running short, although not a bale.

Used to have their straw for bedding too - still have some in a carrier bag in fact! Haven't bought too much straw for a couple of years as topped it up from the farm but now we don't have the horse will have to buy it all this winter!

Not quite :?

The farm I get my hay from has 3 different grades, Cow (£5 per bale), Horse (£6 per bale) and Rabbit (£8 per bale). The Cow and Horse hay I don't think is good enough quality to feed rabbits. It's more dusty and brown. The rabbit hay has a lot of green and is less dusty and smells 'fresher'.

Would just say to anyone getting hay from a farm, just check the quality. It took me ages to find a good supplier around here, a lot of the hay from farms was musty and rubbish.

I use hay I buy for my horse for the rabbits.... Pet shops split the bales and bag it, charging a fortune... same hay
If the hay is good enough for my horse (im fussy) its good enough for my bunnies too..... Ive never heard of "horse hay" and "rabbit hay" that's prob just so they can charge more for rabbit :shock:

Not quite :?

The farm I get my hay from has 3 different grades, Cow (£5 per bale), Horse (£6 per bale) and Rabbit (£8 per bale). The Cow and Horse hay I don't think is good enough quality to feed rabbits. It's more dusty and brown. The rabbit hay has a lot of green and is less dusty and smells 'fresher'.

Would just say to anyone getting hay from a farm, just check the quality. It took me ages to find a good supplier around here, a lot of the hay from farms was musty and rubbish.

£8 ??? for a small bale??? no way!!!!!

There are 2 types of hay

Meadow hay - cut from 'normal' fields. May contain weeds and less desirable grasses.

Seed Hay - Cut from fields which have been planted specifically for hay production. More expensive as contains no weeds and has chosen types of grass for a higher nutritional value.

The green hay you describe is probably this years cut, which is not really suitable for horses, it needs to 'rest' a while.

I use hay I buy for my horse for the rabbits.... Pet shops split the bales and bag it, charging a fortune... same hay
If the hay is good enough for my horse (im fussy) its good enough for my bunnies too..... Ive never heard of "horse hay" and "rabbit hay" that's prob just so they can charge more for rabbit :shock:

£8 ??? for a small bale??? no way!!!!!

There are 2 types of hay

Meadow hay - cut from 'normal' fields. May contain weeds and less desirable grasses.

Seed Hay - Cut from fields which have been planted specifically for hay production. More expensive as contains no weeds and has chosen types of grass for a higher nutritional value.

The green hay you describe is probably this years cut, which is not really suitable for horses, it needs to 'rest' a while.

There is a massive difference, the rabbit hay they sell is exceptional. It's from a SSI field so grown totally seperate to the other hays.

Generally the boarders and fosters that come here, always leave here eating more hay and a lot of my customers ask me where I get my hay from. My buns have all got the best poos I've ever seen, so I'd rather pay £8 per bale for decent hay than less for any old rubbish :thumb:

Horses need good quality hay so if it's good enough quality for horses it is for rabbits too. Of course that doesn't mean everyone selling 'horse hay' is selling good quality hay. You definitely need to check it out and make sure it's not musty or really dusty etc.

There is a massive difference, the rabbit hay they sell is exceptional. It's from a SSI field so grown totally seperate to the other hays.

Generally the boarders and fosters that come here, always leave here eating more hay and a lot of my customers ask me where I get my hay from. My buns have all got the best poos I've ever seen, so I'd rather pay £8 per bale for decent hay than less for any old rubbish :thumb:

I wouldn't feed anything but the best quality hay to my horse, Im very choosy.... I pay £20 for a huge round bale including delivery (small bales here are around £3 to£4 ) clean, fresh and smells delicious... after over 20 years..... I know my hay.... lol...... I have to see it and smell it before ill take delivery :lol:

Hmm hay, don't get me started. I had been ordering the stuff from timothy hay.co.uk but find it goes brown quick and my buns like the crunchy stuff which has been lacking recently from them. I'm now trying to find a farm or stables locally to get some hay from. I called a local place who charge £5/bale but their hay is a mixture of meadow and rye, but I thought the best hay for buns is timothy so don't know if to keep hunting before giving it a try?

I thought the best hay for buns is timothy so don't know if to keep hunting before giving it a try?
Mine eat what they're given, which is whatever B&M or the farm shop have in at the time (depending on what's open, what time of year it is etc.). I'm a mean bunny mummy ;P It's up to you: with the farm I get mine from I can view and feel it before purchase, and when buying from shops it's usually visible through the packaging, so you can tell if it's the sort they like or not :)

Back