• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey’s results Update p68

I finally managed to get to speak to my own vet. She has said that the operation to remove the abscess would be a major op, because of where the abscess is situated. She considers that the risks would be too great for Honey, given the problem with her lungs. The vet also thought trying to get some samples from the lungs to be too risky.

So the current plan is to try baytril and penicillin injections and see if they help either problem. My vet is still consulting with D1ck vet over the results of the scan and the best non invasive treatment.

So far, Honey is well and seems happy.

I think a non invasive approach seems to be the best option for Honey given her other problems and her age. It is what I would opt for if she were my Bunny anyway. I hope that she remains comfortable within herself for as long as possible. I hope that you are doing as well as possible too xx

Thank you both for your replies.

I spoke too soon about Honey being well. Today she is very quiet. Could the penicillin be causing it, or do rabbits usually cope with it well? She was on it a few years ago and didn’t have any problems then.

I spoke too soon about Honey being well. Today she is very quiet. Could the penicillin be causing it, or do rabbits usually cope with it well? She was on it a few years ago and didn’t have any problems then.

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, hopefully someone can help, I’d give the vet a call too to ask. sending lots of vibes for her, and hugs to you xx

I've not noticed any side effects when I've had rabbits on penicillin.
Is she eating / pooing OK?
Does she have any pain relief?

I had 3 buns on penecillian and they were quite ok on it, maybe a little less appetite but generally ok but I remember a girl who wirked in a rabbit rescue tell me that it can make some a little flat. I hope Honey improves today x

Most Rabbits do tolerate injectable Penicillin, but I have had a couple who reacted badly to it. Going off their food and in one case having diarrhoea.
What other Meds is she on ?

I would give the Vet a call this morning and seek their advice. I'd also monitor Honey's poo output carefully. Any signs of diarrhoea and she'd need to go straight back to the Vet. Sending lots more vibes for her xx

Maybe it was the trip to the vet last night that’s upset her. She’s eating and pooing. And is taking metacam, Tramadol and gabapentin for pain relief, as well as Zantac. I’ll try to speak to my vet before the next injection is due if she stays so quiet.

Maybe it was the trip to the vet last night that’s upset her. She’s eating and pooing. And is taking metacam, Tramadol and gabapentin for pain relief, as well as Zantac. I’ll try to speak to my vet before the next injection is due if she stays so quiet.

It could be that she is still a bit stressed. Has her Tramadol and/or Gabapentin doses been altered ?

Most Rabbits do tolerate injectable Penicillin, but I have had a couple who reacted badly to it. Going off their food and in one case having diarrhoea.
What other Meds is she on ?

I would give the Vet a call this morning and seek their advice. I'd also monitor Honey's poo output carefully. Any signs of diarrhoea and she'd need to go straight back to the Vet. Sending lots more vibes for her xx

Thanks Jane. Honey has been on the other meds for some time now. The gabapentin is the newest one started about 3 weeks ago so I assume it’s not them causing the problem.

What did the rabbits take instead of penicillin?

Kiki gets bimoxyl LA every two days and has not had any issues with it in the three years we have been using it. What type of penicillin is being used, maybe there's a different preparation you could try? Hope she's feeling better soon!

Kiki gets bimoxyl LA every two days and has not had any issues with it in the three years we have been using it. What type of penicillin is being used, maybe there's a different preparation you could try? Hope she's feeling better soon!

Sorry for not replying sooner. I’ve been busy with my other bunny who took ill yesterday.

Honey is on depocillin and had the first injection at home today. She seems brighter again so if she stays that way I will assume it was the vet visit that had her so upset. If she gets worse again after this injection, I’ll contact my vet because it would point to the injections being the cause.

Sorry for not replying sooner. I’ve been busy with my other bunny who took ill yesterday.

Honey is on depocillin and had the first injection at home today. She seems brighter again so if she stays that way I will assume it was the vet visit that had her so upset. If she gets worse again after this injection, I’ll contact my vet because it would point to the injections being the cause.

That's okay, glad she is starting to feel a bit better now! Hopefully the injection will work, we've had great results with Kiki's! If it's still causing issues might be worth trying the bimoxyl, it's a slightly different antibiotic, although still in the same family!

Honey is due at the vet tomorrow, and might need to stay in for a dental :cry:. Given her problems I am worried about the anaesthetic when her lungs aren’t brilliant. She’s also had quite chalky urine so she will be getting that looked at as well.

Any spare vibes would be appreciated.

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you and Honey. It's horrible waiting for that phone call after a dental!

Honey is due at the vet tomorrow, and might need to stay in for a dental :cry:. Given her problems I am worried about the anaesthetic when her lungs aren’t brilliant. She’s also had quite chalky urine so she will be getting that looked at as well.

Any spare vibes would be appreciated.

Is she going to The Royal D1ck ?

Sending millions of vibes xx

Back