• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home made run?

Another option if you wan't to have the run on grass is to put heavy slabs all the way around the outside to make it harder for a fox to tunnel underneath. I wouldn't risk leaving them in this at night though :)

Yeah thats a good idea. Thanks:D:D
xx

Another option if you wan't to have the run on grass is to put heavy slabs all the way around the outside to make it harder for a fox to tunnel underneath. I wouldn't risk leaving them in this at night though :)

Only problem with that is the buns could dig out under the slabs and then you have no way of getting them to come out of their new tunnel!! :oops::lol:

I have in the past layed turf over the wire mesh floor. It last a few months I think before the buns trashed it. I'm just really paranoid about the foxes around here, having lost a lovely bun to a fox in broad daylight a couple of years ago

I have in the past layed turf over the wire mesh floor. It last a few months I think before the buns trashed it. I'm just really paranoid about the foxes around here, having lost a lovely bun to a fox in broad daylight a couple of years ago

Oh god thats awful :(
We're quite lucky I have never seen a fox round here in the whole 12 years Ive lived here!
xx

Thats a brilliant idea, do you think it would work out cheaper to buy the aviary pannels or make them yourself?
xx
It's definately cheaper to make them yourself as they can be quite expensive.

What you need to do is order tonnes of wire mesh though, something like a 20m roll :shock:

It's also quite hard to make them square, but that's just my bad craftmanship :lol:

It's definately cheaper to make them yourself as they can be quite expensive.

What you need to do is order tonnes of wire mesh though, something like a 20m roll :shock:

It's also quite hard to make them square, but that's just my bad craftmanship :lol:

Corr 20m :shock::shock: Ill see what my dad or boyfriend can do for me :D
Thanks for all your ideas guys
xx

Wow, I like that!!:D
Did that cost much to make? If you dont mind me asking:)
xx

Hi Jade my other half makes all my runs,hes not here at the moment but I will ask him when he gets home how much the wood cost.We have a massive roll of the wire and I think that was the most expensive bit as its really thick and strong.

I cheated and got a run off happy hutch for Eclipse but Jazz and Gizmo's is fab.. although not 100% secure, they get locked away at night.

Eclipses:
001-11.jpg

Jazz and Giz's:

015-4.jpg

Hi Jade my other half makes all my runs,hes not here at the moment but I will ask him when he gets home how much the wood cost.We have a massive roll of the wire and I think that was the most expensive bit as its really thick and strong.

That'll be lovely :D thankyou xx

:oops: Sorry to pinch your thread, I'm having to rethink and rebuild my runs at the moment because Mr Fox has been visiting. Do you all think that your runs are fox-proof?

:oops: Sorry to pinch your thread, I'm having to rethink and rebuild my runs at the moment because Mr Fox has been visiting. Do you all think that your runs are fox-proof?

Mine are (touchwood). I use the strongest weld mesh I can find: 1/2 x 1 inch (not the cheap flimsy rubbish you find in some shops) attached to the wood with metal u-nails, 2x bolts on the door and 4 or 6 on the roof. I have weld mesh on the floor and roof. I have covered the floors with wood and rugs for comfort and they have corrugated roofing sheets on the top to keep them dry. I use sheets of clear acrylic in cold weather to keep the draughts out but you have to leave a gap for ventilation and remove them when it's warm.

I think the Happy hutch one was about £75 and the other was mainly free because we reused most of the mesh and wood off an old unwanted run... That one only cost about £10 :lol:

I think the Happy hutch one was about £75 and the other was mainly free because we reused most of the mesh and wood off an old unwanted run... That one only cost about £10 :lol:

The happy hutch one is a good price. Ill have a look on their website :D
And £10 what a bargain:lol::D
xx

Hi jade,just spoke to Andy ref runs.he says the wood was less than £40.We already had the wire and the chains to hold the runs onto the nest boxes.

The run i posted on the first page, cost us only around £70 to make :) The wood was literally less than £20, the stain was from P@H and was £5, the rest was for the mesh, which is the most expensive stuff :?

Just uploading pics of our new run though it isnt finished yet :lol: xXx

Back