• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Holistic vet care

Alicia

Mama Doe
I’ve never really been interested in this kind of thing before, but Jelly is on two different medications and she’s ok but I really don’t think she’s much better. She’s got a heart condition and one of the valves doesn’t open and close properly and her trachea also doesn’t work as it should. I’m going to email the vet and try and get the name of her condition because I can’t remember it now.

She’s on medication twice a day and she’s ok but she just sits generally and I don’t know what to do. The vet says she’s not suffering but if she struggles to breathe I don’t see how she isn’t suffering. I’ve heard of a holistic vet and wondered about seeing if they could suggest anything for Jelly maybe alongside her medication? Or am I just clutching at straws here?

If you have a trusting relationship with the Vet who is currently treating Jelly discuss it with them. My Vet is not averse to some complimentary treatments. It is when people go DIY with pills and potions that problems occur. Not suggesting that you would do that, but unfortunately some people do. Some complimentary/alternative remedies can interact with prescription drugs so it will be important to bear this in mind for Jelly.

Yeah I agree I would be wary and check with your vet. My dog is on a holistic medication but it's one that the vets know have been tested, it can't be given within 2 hours of his prescription meds as it can reduce the absorption. The problem with a lot of them is they haven't been tested so vets won't know if they're safe, we had Jack dog on a tablet before bought from a well known company but it made him pass what looked like blood in his poo and the company said there was no side effects like that, the vets didn't know so he went through loads of tests all came back clear turns out it was a pigment from the tablet! So I'd only use ones the vets know too.

I can sympathise, Bigwig was like that with her lungs and the vet said she wasn't in any pain (on medication) but was having similar to asthma attacks so was upsetting to see.

Back