• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hiro's thread - Total Ear Canal Ablation. UPDATE

I've just spoken to Molly and the CT scan is definitely going ahead today. She said that he is a completely different Rabbit to the one that came in already, he's eating and pooping quite a lot and his head tilt is a lot better although he has still got a tiny one.
Hopefully if any procedure needs doing she will do it today whilst he is under for his CT.
Lots of good vibes for Hiro today please. I'm so nervous :(

Sounds promising :D

Loads and loads of vibes xx

He's now had the CT scan and he absolutely fine.
Unfortunately he has got a middle ear infection and it's beyond Molly's capabilities to remove. However she is happy to do the rabbit side of things if she gets help with the surgical side from one of her colleagues. He's got to have a small section of his skull removed.
We can bring him home for now and he's booked in next Friday for the op.
Starting to feel a bit numb now :cry:

Unfortunately he has got a middle ear infection and it's beyond Molly's capabilities to remove. However she is happy to do the rabbit side of things if she gets help with the surgical side from one of her colleagues. He's got to have a small section of his skull removed.

Oh goodness................:cry:

I am so sorry to hear how serious the infection is :cry:

I wish Hiro all the luck in the world for the surgery xx

I'm sorry to hear this :(

I really really hope all goes well for the lovely Hiro :wave:

I'm absolutely devastated. I'm now wondering if I'm doing the right thing by him but she did say that she would tell me if she thought it wasn't worth it. But apparently he is really quite bright within himself and he's eating and drinking well now.
He's only a baby really... 18 months :(
Is this quite a common thing? Or is it rare?
I just feel so bad that he's been suffering with this for so long... I'm guessing that if we'd have caught it earlier it wouldn't be so bad :(

I'm pleased to hear that Hiro has had his CT scan and is fine. I'm sorry to hear about the middle ear infection though. Easy for me to say, but don't feel bad about it. Rabbits can't tell us very easily that they don't feel well and I know you would have sought the vet's advice for him earlier if you had known about it.

It sounds a big operation, but I would feel happier about it knowing that Molly would have been honest with you if it wasn't the right way forward for Hiro.

Sending loads more vibes for him.

Thanks everyone :)
I'm so excited to get him home now, I've missed him so much :love:
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that his brother will be happy to see him too after 4 days apart... :?

I'm absolutely devastated. I'm now wondering if I'm doing the right thing by him but she did say that she would tell me if she thought it wasn't worth it. But apparently he is really quite bright within himself and he's eating and drinking well now.
He's only a baby really... 18 months :(
Is this quite a common thing? Or is it rare?
I just feel so bad that he's been suffering with this for so long... I'm guessing that if we'd have caught it earlier it wouldn't be so bad :(

I'm sure Molly's advice is 100% honest and reliable!

These things are extremely difficult to deal with and eradicate, and often it's the only way forward.

Common or rare? There've been quite a few cases reported here on RU, for sure.

I don't think you could have caught it any earlier. These things are very difficult to spot and diagnose. You had the scan done and that's what's speeded up the process of identifying what was wrong, so I would say you've done brilliantly :D

I'm feeling a little better today. I'm really excited to get him home. I've got a whole week with him to enjoy before I need to start stressing about the op so I'm just going to take each day as it comes :)
I'm considering taking his brother in with me to pick him up today. I haven't got a clue if that's a good idea or not though?
Thanks again everyone for your kind words, support and good vibes for Hiro xxxxx

Last edited:
I'm feeling a little better today. I'm really excited to get him home. I've got a whole week with him to enjoy before I need to start stressing about the op so I'm just going to take each day as it comes :)
I'm considering taking his brother in with me to pick him up today. I haven't got a clue if that's a good idea or not though?
Thanks again everyone for your kind words, support and good vibes for Hiro xxxxx

I would do that, unless his Brother is an exceptionally bad traveller who may get poorly as a result. If you do take him I'd also take a separate carrier too just incase xx

I would take him as well. If they can come home together (which is a slightly stressful situation) then it may help their bond when they get home.

Best of luck for picking him up :D

We are on the way!
Sylar is with us and we are all very excited... except for Sylar who is looking at me in total disdain and wondering why I'm dragging him all the way to Liverpool :lol:

I'm starting to panic. The operation is only 2 days away now and I'm really starting to doubt whether or not we are doing the right thing :cry:
It doesn't sound like there is any other option in his case though :(
Since he's been home he has got a lot better within himself and sometimes when I look at him I actually forget how poorly he is.

Today's the day :(
We got a call yesterday saying that his op is scheduled for 12 o'clock.
We are taking both of them in today so the house will be very quiet tonight. It's going to be a long day.
*sigh*

Back