• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi everyone,pleased to be new member

Tillybunny

Mama Doe
Hello, I have finally got round to registering.I have been reading the posts for months, with great interest, they have been such a source of help to me, with my rabbits, thanks to you all. I have three rabbits; Peter, who is three years old and was bought from P@H (you live and learn) for my teenage daughter, he is a grey Netherland Dwarf and is full of character. Then there is Tilly who is a rescue rabbit, she was bought to bond with Peter, but he had other ideas!!!! She is a mixed breed agouti rabbit and is such a little sweetheart. My newest addition and the last so my other half says, is Murphy-a chocolate dwarf lop, I have only had him two days, he is approx 5 years old, but his last owners decided they no longer wanted him and handed him over to a rescue. He is very timid at the moment and unfortunatly has sticky bottom syndrome which with time and patience I am hoping to resolve, but not sure if its possible with an older rabbit, maybe someone can give me some advice on this??

Hiya, welcome to RU! :wave:

My buns were ill for their first 2 years, with unformed smelly poos. I tried EVERYTHING, including all the different brands of rabbit food I could get my hands on. Eventually I realised that, suprisingly, it was the dried food causing the problem. I started feeding just vegetables (they flatly refused hay in those days) and the sticky bottoms cleared up within days, and haven't been a problem since. I would definately recommend giving the 'hay and veg' diet a go (80% of the diet grass and hay, 20% fresh veg) and see if it helps. I'd also cut out all fruit (v. bad for buns as it feeds the bad bacteria in the stomach). Do you feed peas or corn on the cob at all? I would cut these out too if so.

I hope this helps. Keep us updated! :D

Thank you will definately keep u updated on Murphy's progress. No I don't give corn or peas. I am trying limited pellets (burgess excell,my others seem to do well on these) just giving about a tablespoon a day, unlimited hay of all types, just tried him with Burns green oat hay and he seems to love that; and then small bowl of veg at night. Just don't want to upset his tummy too much with change in diet. Noticed on one site it said dry bottoms baths are preferable to wet, so OH has just gone into town to purchase Burt Bees baby cornstarch powder, as this is what was recommended, hope it helps, don't want to keep wetting his bottom too much,especially when weather is cold.

Last edited:
Hello Tillybunny

Welcome along :wave: Nice to hear about all your bunnies.

I'll be interested to hear if the Burns Green Oat Hay helps with the bottom probs, I have just ordered some for Starbuck as he has small poos and occasional uneaten cecotrophs (can never spell that)!.

If you're wanting to stick with the pellets, I'd give Science Selective a try. They seem much better tolerated to Excel, for some reason.

yes, I think I will try science selective, if he doesn't improve, I have heard good things about it. I will try to upload some photo's, but not sure how yet!!! also haven't got any of Murphy uploaded onto computer yet. But I am on the case so will do my best to get some photos of the furry trio for you all to hopefully ohhh and ahhhh over :)

Hiya, welcome to RU! :wave:

My buns were ill for their first 2 years, with unformed smelly poos. I tried EVERYTHING, including all the different brands of rabbit food I could get my hands on. Eventually I realised that, suprisingly, it was the dried food causing the problem. I started feeding just vegetables (they flatly refused hay in those days) and the sticky bottoms cleared up within days, and haven't been a problem since. I would definately recommend giving the 'hay and veg' diet a go (80% of the diet grass and hay, 20% fresh veg) and see if it helps. I'd also cut out all fruit (v. bad for buns as it feeds the bad bacteria in the stomach). Do you feed peas or corn on the cob at all? I would cut these out too if so.

I hope this helps. Keep us updated! :D

I completely agree with this, far too many rabbit owners have been given bad information by pet shops on feeding, I went to a rabbit day at my vets on Sat and the information she gave is what many of us on here see as the perfect bunny diet 80% grass and hay and 20% fresh veg she said about half there body size in fresh veg morning and evening which is what mine eat.
Muffin has the odd case of sticky bottom syndrome so I just have to keep my eye on her and the vet suggested I take her off carrot which greatly improved it, as again they are fairly high in sugar and can upset the flora of the digestive system.

If they're not on many greens, maybe you ought to build up to this amount steadily so as not to upset your newbie bun xx

photos from Tillybunny as promised

DSC_0231.jpg
Murphy (sticky bottom bun)

DSC_0146-1.jpg
Tilly

DSC00103.jpg
Peter

Photos of the furry threesome as promised, after I finally managed to conquer the photo-upload programme ( its easy really, and instructions are clear, just me with my daft head on:oops:)

Last edited:
Aaaaw, they are lovely. I'd try SS as Hoppit! suggested for the sticky bum. I use the mature for mine as even the normal SS gives one of mine runny poo. The adult should work for you though but the mature is an option should the adult not clear it :wave:

Back