• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herbie is getting a lump removed - Update P64 - Another lump!

Poor lad. We will keep our fingers and paws crossed that the lump is nothing sinister. Hope his wound heals quickly. xx

I hope the biopsy comes back as 'benign' and that Herbie will heal well.

Morse had a few lumps and bumps removed in his later years and they were all benign xx

I ended up just putting them back together as Herbie wasn't eating and was quite depressed. Within a hour of putting them back together he was eating. Hollie hasn't took the stitches out yet, so it is so far so good, will just keep fingers crossed.

I know it is a risk that she bites at his stitches, but it is more of a risk if the wee man never ate!

They said 7 - 10 days for the results of the biopsy.

I ended up just putting them back together as Herbie wasn't eating and was quite depressed. Within a hour of putting them back together he was eating. Hollie hasn't took the stitches out yet, so it is so far so good, will just keep fingers crossed.

I know it is a risk that she bites at his stitches, but it is more of a risk if the wee man never ate!

Aww...poor Herbie. Glad he's doing better now. :) xxxx
Vibes that Hollie leaves his stitches alone. Too bad a cone of shame wouldn't work in reverse to keep his backside unreachable by her if need be. :?

Hollie, don't take those stitches out! No girl!

So glad Herbie is eating. It often takes the partner to inspire a good appetite, doesn't it?

Lab results are back and it's not the very worst, but not great either. His lump was a tumour, an Anaplastic Sarcoma.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

Lab results are back and it's not the very worst, but not great either. His lump was a tumour, an Anaplastic Sarcoma.

I am sorry to hear this

Did the Vet say what grade the tumour was ?

I have not had a Rabbit with an anaplastic sarcoma, but a friend had a dog who developed one xx

Yes I have had a rabbit with this. I hope the vet did a wide excision .. They seem to be fairly aggressive and grow quickly. At least the one on my rabbit did!

What did the vet say about the prognosis?

She never said anything about grade, but I will ask on Tuesday when he is up to get his stitches out. It was a phone call whilst I was at work and I was trying to take it all in.

She said that they did take the recommended margins when they took it out and she hopes it has been enough, but we just have to wait and see.

MightyMax, did your bunny have any recurring tumours after it had been removed? Yes, it did grow quickly, I noticed a wee small lump and I could feel it growing each time I felt it.

When I 1st took him to the vets with it a different vet to what I generally see said that it was probably nothing and sent me off, I took him back a week later as I felt it was getting bigger. I am raging cos it could have been off a week before. I am also going through scenarios in my mind thinking have I caused this as I was treating his abscess which was about an inch away from where the tumour developed, and I am thinking I may have damaged him when trying to get pus out of the abscess or something :(

I just called the vets back, they said that they can't grade the tumour at the lab because of the type of tumour that it is. They said that the lab report says that it is the type of tumour that if it is going to reoccur then it will be localised at the same site. The vet said that I have to keep an eye out for any regrowth, which is hard considering he has a massive scar across the area. He did say that he couldn't say for definite, but if it was to come back then he would expect it to be in a few months time.

Och, my wee old man :(

I may be wrong here, but if any recurrence would be at the same site and if that site was not a major organ, then the prognosis *may* not be too serious for Herbie. As I say I may be wrong, but I'm just thinking about human cancers and any metastestes that occur.

I may be wrong here, but if any recurrence would be at the same site and if that site was not a major organ, then the prognosis *may* not be too serious for Herbie. As I say I may be wrong, but I'm just thinking about human cancers and any metastestes that occur.

Aye, that's what the vet said. So if it did come back he would maybe need to get it out again but with bigger margins taken away. It's just a worry as he is an old man and this is a lot to put him through :(

Glad he got through the op, sorry it wasn't good news :( I have a bun with fibrosarcoma, I think that's a less aggressive type than anaplastic sarcoma. He had his lump removed in October 2013 and is still doing well with no recurrence. Hope Herbie stays lump free. Sending lots of vibes xx

Thanks everyone. I have been rather upset tonight, but Herbie doesn't give a hoot, he is just his usual self, so as long as he is OK I should be thankful and counting my blessings that he is a happy wee Lad.

Last edited:
Back