• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help !

twisted_angel

Warren Scout
Hello

I have a new 2yr old female Conti. She is very friendly and loves a cuddle.

I thought i would let my other female conti Betty and the new Conti have a run about together in the garden (away from their sheds and enclosures on neutral ground) but Betty kept jumping on Blackberry to hump her and had one time bit her and pulled some of Blackberrys hair out.

Is this normal? I have seperated them now. I am surprised as Betty gets on ok with the 2 small Lionheads.

I was hoping eventually to have Betty and Blackberry bonded and living together with maybe the addition of Barney too once his is neutered.

Yep, it's normal and dominance related. They chase and fur pull to establish who's in charge. The best thing to do is not to let them interact until they're neutered and bond them properly then. You can do it before but you run the risk of aggression and proper fights depending on the rabbit's personality. And you probably know this but when you bond, do it in a small neutral space and then don't split them up at all. :)

If you are bonding it needs to be in a small neutral place. Humping, nipping and chasing is quite normal in the early stages of bonding. Humping is a sign of dominance in rabbits, which they need to work out their pecking order.

Are the two girls neutered?

Thank you both. Neither are neutered but will be. Betty and Barney have just had their Mixy jabs 2 weeks ago and then their VHD jabs on Tuesday so was going to wait 2 weeks before getting their neuturing done as some people on here advised me to wait until after the injections.

Blackberry is due her jabs next month. She was sold to me as she is 2 years old now and needed a retirement home so is not neutured either but i fully intend getting her done after her injections next month due to lower the risk of cancer.

Back