• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!!! with my bunnies behaviour please

Cheech&Suki

New Kit

Hello, hoping you fellow bunny lovers can help me with my problem!
I have a male desexed mini lop called Cheech hes 7 months old, and a female mini lop called Suki whos 4 months old, shes not been desexed yet but will be! i bonded them about a month ago, Cheech has been desexed now for 2 and a hlf months. Anyway they are house buns, who used to stay in the living room but ive moved them to the cooler laundry room for summer, where they free-roam, have put a babygate up so they can stay out at night also feel bad locking them up :(. But my problem is that Cheech has started attacking me ( not my boyfriend ) whenever i go through the babygate to the toilet, he lunges, grunts, bites. hes like a little demon, it doesnt happen all the time! mostly in the mornings when im putting them outside or at night before i go to bed, he also started doing it but stopped right after he got fixed, i spoke to the vet and she said it was probably because i was giving him his medicine after and he just associated me with the awful medicine :( or his hormones being all over the place, anyway hes started again, and he even bit suki when she hopped over amidst his tantrum! (dont know whether he meant it cause they are the best of friends any other time even when im giving them treats he always lets her have first) so i dont know whether hes protecting her or his laundry room? should i start locking them up at night together? Also Suki is so timid, we first got her and she was fine always coming over for a pat and then hopping off, now she doesnt come near unless Cheech is gettin some bunny pats, he is the dominant one so dont know if this is to do with it? should i have some one one one time without him? or will that make her more shy? thanks in advance for any help you can give me! i was trying to post pics but havent figured it out.. x

Do you pick them up to put them outside? Maybe, if you do, this is the reason for him attacking you.

I used to but thought that was why to so i put them in the carrier now to take them out, but its not even like im going to pick him up im walking and he jumps at my feet and grunts and bites. but doesnt do it to my boyfriend! and then sometimes hes fine.

Has he got a place to hide. It sounds as if he is attacking in self defence because he is frightened. I'm sorry, I have no more suggestions.

yes they have a big cat tunnel, a box to hide in with hay in, their cage is always open to hop in and out. :( its ok thanks

Back