• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bonding

Rachel14

New Kit
Hi I thought I had successfully bonded my six rabbits. They all moved into their new enclosure Saturday. Noticed occasional mounting but all were sitting together to eat and acting normally. I went to feed this morning and two of the boys were fighting resulting in a small cut to one of the boys ears. What could have happened? They’ve all been absolutely fine with each other. I’ve moved one of the boys out into another hutch and run but now he is on his own. What should I do next please?

Hi I thought I had successfully bonded my six rabbits. They all moved into their new enclosure Saturday. Noticed occasional mounting but all were sitting together to eat and acting normally. I went to feed this morning and two of the boys were fighting resulting in a small cut to one of the boys ears. What could have happened? They’ve all been absolutely fine with each other. I’ve moved one of the boys out into another hutch and run but now he is on his own. What should I do next please?

I'm sorry this has happened :( Firstly I would make sure that the cut does not need vet attention.

I suspect that the heirarchy in your group has been disrupted by the move to new accommodation. Did you originally bond the six in the area where they were, prior to moving them last Saturday? If so, I would asap return them all to that place. There may be still a problem, as a fight has now occured, but I think with very careful monitoring, you might get away with it. You will need to watch them very carefully though. If they are more settled in that place, I would leave them there for a longer period before attempting to move them again.

If this is not successful, then I'm afraid it's back to starting to re-bond them as before.

Good luck :)

Totally agree with Omi. Put them straight back where they were when they were OK. Then work on a way forward, but don't rush it.

Thank you for your replies.
The cut looks superficial but will definitely keep and eye on it.
They were in three pairs before and lived in hutches and runs like that. They’ve had several bonding sessions in a neutral area and then moved to the enclosure which is neutral for all of them. As they were happy and only one was mounting the others I was advised to put them together permanently as was confusing them.
I’m so confused 😕

You implied they were bonded as a group and then you moved them to a new enclosure. We are suggesting that the move to the new enclosure was too soon and that they should be moved back to the previous site as a group of 6. Personally, I would put the most vulnerable one back first so they are settled, then move the others the next day and keep an eye on them.

Looking at your other post, it's only been a few weeks of the bonding process. I suspect larger groups may need longer than pairs or trios to work out a stable heirarchy as there are so many more variable interactions. You have done well to bond them so far. Give them a lot more time in a space where they were Ok, then eventually look at moving them to the new enclosure. Changing anything during bonding risks some sort of fall out, and with 6 there are many more factors to consider than for eg a pair. You don't need to go right back to splitting them into the original pairs, as that will confuse them even more.

It will be worth it in the end - just go very slowly - months rather than days.

Thank you for your advice. They’ve never lived together as a six so I guess I was hoping for too much. I’ve separated the boy and he is now back with his original partner. The other four seem settled together now too. Will leave it until late summer now.

Back