• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!Rabbits refusing to come back in - are they ok outside?

bunnyhuggger said:
couch.gif
Izzegon yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am happy to go if you guys want this to become another tufty club.

If you actually want to achieve something from this list then you are going to have to accept that people will not always agree with your opininis and might even have opinions of their own!

AND YES they might want to voice them as well without all the oo's and aa's but just as plain facts which will hurt at times.

It will also require even handedness from the moderators which I see little of at this moment.

I say what I feel. Simple as that. It is the truth as I see it. sometimes wrong, sometimes right! but always the truth!

Bob, nobody is wanting you to 'go', you are a mine of usful information, just a bit aggressive (and just plain rude) at times and it puts people off asking questions. That's not fair on them, just think before you start typing. There are children reading these posts too, you are aware of that and yet you use abusive language.

bunnyhuggger said:
Bob, nobody is wanting you to 'go', you are a mine of usful information, just a bit aggressive (and just plain rude) at times and it puts people off asking questions. That's not fair on them, just think before you start typing. There are children reading these posts too, you are aware of that and yet you use abusive language.

Lynda you don't need to mince your word with me - big bad bob. Just say it as feel it!
:)

Unfortunately I don't see you as Big Bad Bob, I see you as Caring Kind Bob when it comes to rabbits, and I always have, even before RU! :D

Us poor ol moderators are never going to win, whatever we do we will upset one side or the other. We don't promise to be perfect or to always get it right we're just doing the best we can.

Most of the time when we put our moderator hats on we're not objecting with what people say or their right to say it, just the way they are putting their point across. The way you say something can make a big difference to how your words are received and whether they are listened too.

:D

Tam

bunnyhuggger said:
Unfortunately I don't see you as Big Bad Bob, I see you as Caring Kind Bob when it comes to rabbits, and I always have, even before RU! :D

I was aggresive abusive and rude 2 mins ago!

I prefer this version tho! Can anyone hear the sounds of butter melting..?

moderating is hard in the easiest of forums (I am a mod for Healthy Pages and that is not easy especialy when you have a fiaths section lol!) and as Tam says it is hard to find a middle spot and get people to realise that the way they write can often be harsher than what they are actually thinking!

Big hugs all round and I love this site so full of knowledgable people!

> Bob, I'm sorry if I've wound you up.

LOL you did wind me up!

>I don't think I managed to explain myself clearly. Thank you for the concern for the rabbits above all, but can I just point a few things out before anyone resorts to swallowing any pills?

<The rabbits were given to us by a very respectable animal sanctuary that is strict with who can and can't adopt them. Both bucks are neutured, therefore they don't fight. They have always lived together, they came in together: and they were only up for adoption together, because it would be unfair to separate them. They have been in the animal home nearly a year becuase of people's reluctance to take two bucks and also they're not young and cute and fluffy and obviously harder to train/pet.

<This is why they were given to us, because we are used to difficult rabbits - even though our other rabbits were trained they HATED being picked up to be checked over/taken to the vets, one bit the other got in such a stress we were sure he'd die. The new rabbits could have their freedom in a safe enclosed space and still be well cared for.

I really do think that a lot more explanation needs to be had here. “both bucks are neutered so they don’t fight” yet you have just told us that they fight? Not a big deal, unless you happen to be the losing buck.

>The garden is a large cobble stoned yard, enclosed entirely by large stone walls, and grass and a thin layer of soil has grown over the cobbles, so there's weeds and thistles and grass (and no i don't know what weeds, there are way too many).

This is where I have a problem. I would not let my rabbits graze on an area with unknown plants or vegetation. It really is as simple as that.

I could say a lot more but this post has already stirred up some feeling so I will be a good boy and say again….

“I would not let my rabbits graze on an area with unknown plants or vegetation”

That is about as much advise as you need at the moment. Sort that out then come back to usl

If you have a problem getting them in at night then don’t let them out especially when you do not have a clue as to what you are letting them out to, (your words not mine) although I have got to take my hat off to for your honesty in these matters!

See I can be nice at times!

You do need to sort your weeds out before you let your rabbits out!

Sheesh was that rude or abusive. Did it need an 18 certificate? Lol,

probably not but it did need saying.

:lol: :lol: :lol: - Bunnyhugger you Minx - your post re Bob - Is he Gone just made me howl - your such a card!!

Bob - I for one really value your input to the Forum - you certainly have a way of cutting to the chase - but collectively I hope we can all make a difference - OK we do it in different ways - but hey! were all human right!! - well some of us - BUNNYHUGGER!! - emmmmmmmm - the jury's out on this one - just kidding Lyndy!!!

Denny! - Brill girl - you were fast on the uptake to pop round to Indigoroses to help out!! - this is surely what Rabbs United is all about - WORKING TOGETHER TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

Indigoroses - please keep us posted - we hope the bunnies are safe and snugg - but really are hear to help if you need us!!

Over and Out

Bob - no,you've escaped a 18 certificate.

Where did I say they fight? They do not fight, at all. If it came out that way (where?might need editing) it's really not meant. Or I am really loosing the buck - which is worrying since I seem to have already lost two..... :?

Trust me, they are most certainly NOT going back out in the scary garden, once we get them *in*. Either rabbits or humans might die, before we have to worry about poisonous vegetation.

My only defence on the vegetation is that it didn't harm the other rabbits - who were out there before we even came to this house, but having said that, logic does say it could be more luck than lack of anything poisonous.

(I know there are thistles, brambles/blackberry bushes/rose bushes/a silver birch tree/rabbit nibbled runner bean plants/dandilions/nettles/grass and a lot of weeds I don't know what they are, but our old rabbits liked them. we simply have no flowers. )

Out of curiousity, what vegetation is typically harmful to rabbits? (I can see you running away in despair now over the useless people in charge of bunnies)

I do respect your opinion, and I'm sorry you got so much grief over this thread. Whilst i wasn't too pleased at coming under attack, you were pretty much telling me what I already figured. Bad idea to let rabbits run riot around a jungle.

nat

Bob,

I think that you have lots of good advice to offer this forum and you are clearly someone who truly cares for rabbits.

However, after reading your abusive responses to peoples concerns and request for help I turn off completly as I cannot be bothered to read your nasty, unhelpful comments.

Is it not better for people to try to do the best for their rabbits, and try to take advice from a forum full of rabbit lovers than to feel they have nowhere to turn and end up giving up?

You should encourage and educate not criticise. If people stop looking at posts that have your name against them then the good advice you have to offer will go to waste.

Hi there indigoroses

Is it possible to trim the plants so you can get on your hands and knees to get your buns?

Maybe they can have there time outside with the help of harnesses and leads. This way it could help train them when called and also allowed to roam with you following at a distance :wink:

I do like the idea of the hutch and pipes and boxes being in the yard with them as buns always have more than one hiding place :!: :!: pending on where the predator is :!:

But I do still worry about bunnies free roaming. It might cost a bit but you could always built a huge run using a wall or two to keep the costs down. Big enough for you to go into also and get them into their hutch at one end :)

Hope alls is going well

bronie

where we all love to hear your snippets of information Bob, I think it would be more useful to advise on how the situation may be remedied.

The forum was set up to provide a point of contact for people to come for help and advice about their rabbits care without fear of being critisised or attacked, or insulted. Not one of us on this forum is an expert, but we are all here to learn from each others mistakes, and to also learn from each others successes, so that rabbits enjoy a better quality of life for it.

I have two neutered bucks living together, never had a problem.

Some good advice has been offered here, and I hope that the situation with everyones help and support can soon be solved and the bunnies will be safetly back in their home.

Ok I am lazy and have skipped most the bitching part of the this thread.

Whats the status atm? Are these bunnies in or not? Is there any help we can give ie going round to the house and giving ideas or helping getting the bunnies in?

amber

Hiya Indigoroses - Any news regarding your bunsters!!

As mentioned before if your still have problems getting them indoors just give the Forum members a hollar - I'm sure someone will be close to you that could maybe pop round and give some hands on help.

Good Luck

indigoroses said:
Bob - no,you've escaped a 18 certificate.

Trust me, they are most certainly NOT going back out in the scary garden, once we get them *in*. Either rabbits or humans might die, before we have to worry about poisonous vegetation.

My only defence on the vegetation is that it didn't harm the other rabbits - who were out there before we even came to this house, but having said that, logic does say it could be more luck than lack of anything poisonous.

(I know there are thistles, brambles/blackberry bushes/rose bushes/a silver birch tree/rabbit nibbled runner bean plants/dandilions/nettles/grass and a lot of weeds I don't know what they are, but our old rabbits liked them. we simply have no flowers. )

I do respect your opinion, and I'm sorry you got so much grief over this thread. Whilst i wasn't too pleased at coming under attack, you were pretty much telling me what I already figured. Bad idea to let rabbits run riot around a jungle.

nat

What a nice post and reply. Please let us know how you are getting on. I understand that someone from the list is visiting - that is good and not much point in pre-empting what advice that they can give you!

Don't worry about me getting grief LOL! I gave you it after all!

I cannot help the way I communicate. I do try, but when I read it back it does not sound like me. I just say what I feel. Can't be more honest than that!

A lot of people jumped on the bandwagon and relished the opportunity to have a dig at me for various reasons - that's fine - I ask for it ;-)

I would dearly like to change and be like so many others, sweet and understanding and tactfully beating about the bush. But you know i would just not be me! so I am more than happy to stay the way I am speaking the truth as I see it. If others want to communicate differently then I will and do not stand in thier way!

However, in my own mind I WAS attacking you at first - I honestly thought your first post was a wind up! Clearly it is not.

I would really like to know how you are getting along now and how the buns are faring, I hope everything is OK with them and you. You can email me off list at bob@uk-home.co.uk but I am sure that others would also like to know how things are progressing as well - genuine request!

Best I put a smiley :) after that..... sheesh...

Bob, you might well think *this* is a wind up.
Rabbits are still not in. At least not for very long: they are coming into the shed, but because of the position of the backdoor, they're rnning out everytime someone goes out to try to shut them in.

The bush has been dug up, and the rabbits have a network of holes and tunnels under the bank of soil. They still can't get out of the garden, it just means that as long as they can get back to the hole, they're bolting from the shed because it'snot the safest space. All but one hole has been blocked up, and despite all the best efforts the rabbits keep making it back before someone can block it up. They jumped a waist high barrier, to make it back there.

They are eating their food, and sleeping in the shed (at times it seems, but not when any human has been awake to see them) and both seem fine, but we still can't catch them. They move to quickly away from the back door for anyone to throw a towel over them, and ushering them just makes them run down the hole, if they weren't there to begin with, which they usually are, or go as soon as the backdoor opens. (and it's the only way into the garden)
If people sit there, they just don't come out anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions about getting rid of that hole?It's getting ridiculous now. And it's such horrid weather. I know they're dry in the hole, but it's just not fair.

We're in the Lancaster area, if anyone could help, that would be the best thing that's happened all week!

Hiya Indigoroses

Sounds like your still struggling with these bunsters then gal! - I'm sure there must be someone around the Lancaster area who can help.
Have you tried contacting a Rescue near you and explaining the problem or even the RSPCA - I'm sure someone will come out rather than risk the bunnies being outside - even if you had to pay a small fee its better than any risk to the bunnies.

Hey Forum Gang! - Does anyone know of any rescues in the Lancaster Area who could help out here!!! - I agree the weather is getting worse for bunnies to outdoors but the main risk is from preditors even though they seem to have developed bolt warren holes which could be even more dangerous as they could possibly dig underground and it will be even more difficult to retrive them.

Back