• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!Rabbits refusing to come back in - are they ok outside?

Hiya folks - hopefully most folks will know I'm definately not one for attacking anyone and making harsh judgements or being the perfect Bunny Mum - heaven knows I've learnt alot in during my short 3 years of bunny ownership and I really wouldn't be without all the expertise on this Forum - most of you guys have many more year on me thats for sure.

But sometimes I think even though some of us are relative novices there is no harm in questioning providing its not a personal attack - in that vain it would be good to learn why its sooooo difficult to get two bunnies in who are easy to pick up and cuddle - Indigoroses - are we miss reading this or are there more details you can give in this area? - Buffy one of my house buns is easy to pick up in the House - but not so easy in the Garden - although if it was time for Bed - even in my short three years and without owning previous bunnies with the threat of Foxes and other preditors out there at night - there are numerous ways I would try - Race a Bunny round the Garden :roll: - This is game Buffy and Cagney would definately enjoy.

Over and Out.

Sorry, I wasn't following this post. Bob....

I thought you agreed that education was important. Here is someone asking to be educated and your just turning them away?

For all you know they could both be neutered in which case its perfectly possible to keep two bucks together. If they are not neutered then they are youngsters and can be neutered and then kept together.

Being happy to be handle once taken out of a hutch is totally different to being caught in a large outside space. Especially as this is all new to them.

Telling someone that they are unfit and should take the rabbits back is not helpful. For a start they still need advice on rounding them up. indigoroses is here asking for help/advice, if you think she/he is doing something wrong then explain or point them to information to help them improve.

I suggest twice round the block this time, please.

Tamsin

indigoroses, to answer some of your questions and the points raised....

As you say its best they don't spent the night outside so the ideal solution would be for you to only let them out whilst supervised and then be able to get them inside the rest of the time. How long have you had them? It takes a while for a rabbit to decide somewhere is their territory so if you haven't had them long they might not associate the hutch/shed as their bedroom. Once you have caught them I suggest shutting them in for a week or so before trying the garden again. It will also take them awhile to make friends with you like your previous bunnies had so they come to you.

Its important you can catch them when needed as they will need regular handling so you can cheeck for problems like sticky bums which can lead to flystrike or other illnesses and you'll need to be able to take them to the vet for vaccinations.

If they ignore you and you can get close then I suggest you throw a towel over them and catch them that way. Otherwise open the shed door and shepard them in.

Re diet: Some garden plants are piosonous so be careful whats in your garden. A diet oof grass is good but it would be a good idea to have hay available too. With winter coming they'll also need to be inside at night so they have somewhere warm and dry to sleep.

I hope that helps, good luck catching them. If you have more questions do let us know.

Tamsin

well call me what you wll, but it just does not add up and I don't take back a single word i have said

I don't need to go through all that diplomatic **** to know when something stinks. And this reeks!"

Trouble is, that it is the rabbits that suffer through our inability to be plain and honest with each other. Ah well....

Re: HELP!Rabbits refusing to come back in - are they ok outs

Bob said:
Frankly, I don’t believe you. Which “Animal Home” is this that would allow you to adopt two bucks

I got two bucks from a rescue centre. Two neutered males will get along just fine.

Your post is instantly assuming the worst on every point and attacking them for it, rather than just asking the questions and waiting for the answers. It doesn't help your credibility and it does nothing to help with the problem. It's nothing to do with being 'plain and honest' with each other. You simply don't have enough information to be making personal attacks on new members.

Re: HELP!Rabbits refusing to come back in - are they ok outs

Bertie said:
Bob said:
Frankly, I don’t believe you. Which “Animal Home” is this that would allow you to adopt two bucks

I got two bucks from a rescue centre. Two neutered males will get along just fine.

Your post is instantly assuming the worst on every point and attacking them for it, rather than just asking the questions and waiting for the answers. It doesn't help your credibility and it does nothing to help with the problem. It's nothing to do with being 'plain and honest' with each other. You simply don't have enough information to be making personal attacks on new members.

I look forward to your posative advice to assist these people who clearly (in your view) are in so much trouble! I look forward to your comments on how you can best help them and resolve this situation.

bunnyhuggger said:
Jeez Bob, what happens to you sometimes? Do you take an abuse pill once a week? :shock:

Likewise from you as well Lynda. i have made my comments. Obviously not well recieved but they were and are how I thought.

Clearly you are very quicjk to express your thoughts on my comments. what about a few words of advce for these poor rabbits out on the town all night and eating who knows what? Over to you....

Tamsin said:
Sorry, I wasn't following this post. Bob....

I thought you agreed that education was important. Here is someone asking to be educated and your just turning them away?

Tamsin you always put things so sweetly and I have walked around the block!! Honest! In this instance I am afraid that I have to beg to differ, you can argue the case in whatever way you wish but my gut instinct tells me that those rabbits are in danger!

AND I hope that I am proved wrong and I really do mean that!

Wrong or right there is nothing wrong with speaking out. What was stated was my opinion and I give it more credence than those namby pamby replies – yours included, that do not address the situation as it was stated.

What if a child was involved? Would you react the same way? You can bet your bottom dollar there would be plenty of repliers if the word “breeder” was involved!

EDUCATION – yes!! But education before the event, not after it.

Would that not have been better than somebody placing an animal in such conditions, me trapping off on their posts and you and others spouting off “after” the event. Such a waist of energy. No wonder there is global warming!

From my own expriance I have never ever let my rabbits run free around my garden, I have a huge 4ft by 5ft run that I used to use (and still do - although they are still to be bonded). I have a large garden and would never feel confident enough to let them out of the run.

My nieces rabbit is allowed out but they have a small garden courtyard which is mainly stoned and rabbit proofed up to the hilt. Also it is supervised when in the garden and is trained to hop back in the hutch when it is time for bed.

My old rabbit Boby would escape now and then in a bid for freedom and it did take me about an hour to round him up at one point and usually throwing something on them stops them dead.

Maybe as the bunnies feel like they are now living in the wild they are lothe to go back in, they probably have found a nice little corner to relax in that is under a bush or some such so to me they would much prefer this al fresco living than in the hutch, but they should be in at night, I would never dare leave mine out all night - even in the summer, they were always in and fed by 9.

I do think we have to see all sides to the argument that is raging and Bob has only the bunnies interests at heart even though maybe his tone maybe slighhtly different, remeber that the written word is often harsher than the spoken. We have not heard back for the owners at this point so I await to hear their reply.

Hope they are alright!

With love
m

riaob1 said:
We have not heard back for the owners at this point so I await to hear their reply.

No Kidding! If that was my third post here I wouldn't be back either.

Indigoroses - Hi I need some help.

To summarise Bob's post - You are a liar. You are useless. There is no other solution except sending your pets back to the sanctuary. Oh and by the way you are an idiot too.

Not to mention the other prople on this forum who are also idiots and who are not in touch with reality.

Why on earth would that girl come back for more abuse? In fact I'm not sure if I'll be back to read it. At my expense or others.

This thread has achieved one thing. You have driven this girl "underground" she will not ask for help here again. She will be too embarassed to ask any more questions and I don't blame her.

...not underground

Bob, I'm sorry if I've wound you up. I don't think I managed to explain myself clearly. Thank you for the concern for the rabbits above all, but can I just point a few things out before anyone resorts to swallowing any pills?

The rabbits were given to us by a very respectable animal sanctuary that is strict with who can and can't adopt them. Both bucks are neutured, therefore they don't fight. They have always lived together, they came in together: and they were only up for adoption together, because it would be unfair to separate them. They have been in the animal home nearly a year becuase of people's reluctance to take two bucks and also they're not young and cute and fluffy and obviously harder to train/pet.

This is why they were given to us, because we are used to difficult rabbits - even though our other rabbits were trained they HATED being picked up to be checked over/taken to the vets, one bit the other got in such a stress we were sure he'd die. The new rabbits could have their freedom in a safe enclosed space and still be well cared for.

The garden is a large cobble stoned yard, enclosed entirely by large stone walls, and grass and a thin layer of soil has grown over the cobbles, so there's weeds and thistles and grass (and no i don't know what weeds, there are way too many). The cobbles and the well sunk wall that leads to concrete outside the wall means that our rabbits have never dug their way out in all the years we've had them. The one side of the wall is taken over by bramles, the back of the garden has some soil on a bank and trees. The rabbits have a big shed, with their hutch inside. The hutch and shed lock for safety at night. Since the other rabbits have been outside and haven't eaten anything poisonous it seems fine that these rabbits be allowed the same freedom, having said that the previous owner says she checked that nothing poisonous to them grew there. Though I confess I wouldn't know where to start, if anyone would like to tell me what to watch out for I'd be grateful.

The animal sanctury were perfectly happy with this set up and checked it all out before the rabbits were given to us.

As for the previous rabbits, one was eldery and she died of cancer this summer. The other was found dead the day after rabbit was put down, we're not sure why: definately shock. But it seems that it was shock at rabbit not returning. AS for the previous occupants (who trained the other two rabbits to come in at night) that was my housmates sister: who rescued rabbit, and had cared for danny who was the baby of another of her rabbits. She didn't feel it was fair to move them with her, to a small yard where they couldn't have the run around they were used to, so when her sister moved in with us, we agreed to keep the bunny's where they were used to rather than move them. It didn't seem fair. Although I was quite surprised to find they had the whole run around at first, but they were completely fine having that level of freedom.

Whilst our two new rabbits are comfortable being picked up and petted and checked from their hutch, catching them in the GARDEN is a whole different matter. Whilst I don't understand that their now bolting everytime a human comes out (because they were hopping around paying me no attention when I was going out there and just walking around to get them used to humans coming and going) it is NOT easy to pick up a rabbit that's running everywhere, hiding under the brambles and just does NOT want to go in. Even if usually they will be picked up without scrapping and biting.

I *know* they shouldn't be left out at night (hence this post of help, novel solutions for getting them back in, please) but at the moment we seem to be causing more trauma and distrust by trying to round them up.
Obviously we should have left them in their hutch longer, but they came out themselves, and were going back and forth the shed when I was there (now I've had to come home to look after my gran) so I left not thinking they were going to not come back in.
We also are concerned that they're not eating they're dried food, because they need more than the vegetation. The animal home - when i asked them how soon we should leave them in hte shed before letting them run - said as soon as they were happy going outside themselves, they may not come in for days but would when they were hungry/needed shelter. This hasn't happened, and we really want to get them in at night -but depending on HOW dangerous (ie cold/hungry)it is to leave them outside we want to do this the right way,rather than scaring them utterly.

They've only been there five days, two days they were in the shed , and not really bothered about coming out. But now we really need advice on getting them back in.

Please don't attack me, I do want what's best for the rabbits, but we want to give them the chance to hae more of a life than they were having in a hutch most of the time in the animal home. Even if we decide they'd be better off somewhere else, we still need to GET them in, without sending them into shock.

At the moment, lecturing me isn't going to help: we need those rabbits in, I'm away and since they're behaving out of character, because they were coming up to me if i had treats for them, but won't for the others' , we need advice from people used to dealing with rabbits when they're being awkward.

(the stick method has failed, they just go straight under the brambles and will not come out apparently). I know most people are surprised by our bunnies running round the garden, but the other two were just fine, and their original owner really wouldn't have done anything she thought dangerous to them - and though unusual it really did work out, although they were rarely out at night (only if they'd gone under the cursed brambles in the rain and just refused to go back in,&yes, this did cause us stress.)
Thanks for all the suggestions and for not -on the whole-throwing fits that the rabbits are just outside all the time, I'm giving them to the rabbit-keepers, though I must admit they're not very keen on the water-pistol idea!
will keep you updated, please cross your fingers that they come in sometime soon.

Hi indigoroses

Have you tried putting a box or shelter out for them in the garden so that they can go in there for safety?? or even constructing a kind of pen with a removeable side, so that they can be semi ushered / wonder in and then someone can close the side behind them, let them settle for a bit and then pick them up?? try and get them doing it for a while and then use that as a way of getting them in.

I feel that as your mates are chasing them around they are getting more and more afraid of them, maybe if one or two of them sat down and let them come to them then this may eleviate some of the stress for both rabbits and humans! (thats if they don't do this already).

Hope this helps in some small way and you get them back in soon

Sorry if my post seemed to be negative before.

With love

Maria

Hi Indigoroses

What about trying to 'corner them' as such and then use a large bed sheet (or equivalent) to throw over them one at a time. This wouldn't hurt them, but might disorient them enough that they won't really see a new hiding place to turn to, and your friends could then pick them up whilst wrapped in the sheet. The fact they are then covered might make it less stressful for them to be picked up (sounds bizarre, but my vet sometimes covers Rob with a towel, when he goes into 'hyper' mode on the table).

Not an ideal way to get them in, but as you say, they really need to go into the shed for the time being, and possibly be confined to it for a few days, without stress in the shed, and hopefully they will start to see it as their 'safe retreat' / territory. Maybe then, their freedom in the garden has to be confined to certain safe areas, where they can learn to go back to the shed, before being allowed full run of the garden.

I don't like the idea of throwing a sheet over buns either, but I agree that the endless chasing of them is probably very stressful, and it is too risky for them to be running about the garden alone at nights.

I hope you have luck in whatever method you choose to try - keep us updated :)

I understand your anxiety and your concern for the buns - yes, they do need to get back inside and then learn that humans are not going to hurt them. The only way to train them is to get them back in and start from scratch.
Maybe once they are back in you could find someway of blocking off part of the garden? This would mean that they would be allowed some freedom and as they get used to you and your housemates then you could extend the exercise parts?
If you can let us know what area you are in and maybe someone from the forum is nearby - they could maybe help go and get the rabbits in as by the sound of it, your housemates are feeling scared about getting them and the buns are sensing this?

Hiya Indigoroses

Thanks for the post - There is soooo much info there I am still a wee confused :roll: regarding some of the elements of your post but I've looked at a couple of areas as follows:-

Quote: Whilst our two new rabbits are comfortable being picked up and petted and checked from their hutch, catching them in the GARDEN is a whole different matter. Whilst I don't understand that their now bolting everytime a human comes out (because they were hopping around paying me no attention when I was going out there and just walking around to get them used to humans coming and going) it is NOT easy to pick up a rabbit that's running everywhere, hiding under the brambles and just does NOT want to go in. Even if usually they will be picked up without scrapping and biting.Quote

Sounds like they are enjoying their freedom these two bunsters - I think it may be worth thinking of a longer term plan for training them from some of the brill ideas put forward here - I really do think you may have to resort to throwing a sheet over them or blanket short term to get them back into a safety area. Have you tried a favorite treat and then when they come up to you could you not catch them then?

Quote:They've only been there five days, two days they were in the shed , and not really bothered about coming out. But now we really need advice on getting them back in Quote

Indigoroses - so if I'm reading this correctly the bunnies have been outside for three days out of five unsecured - can you tell us where you are as there may be someone who can pop round and help you get them back in short term and give you some hands on advice!! - what do you think bunny forum folk - could this work???

Quote:We also are concerned that they're not eating they're dried food, because they need more than the vegetation.Quote

I believe Bunnies if healthy and fit can live happily on just good quality hay and veggies and there are many good posts on the Forum regarding diet advice. Be really careful though about what the Bunnies are eating outdoors, how are their poos (if you don't mind me asking) are they a nice marble size, mid to lightish brown in colour and not smelly?? sorry to ask such a personal question of your bunnies but poos are always a good indication of general bunny health.

On a general note about this thread, I think caution should always be the key until exact facts have been determined and whilst I really do believe Bob has the bunnies best interest at heart - Abuse solves nothing - even our Wonderful Bunnyhugger got in the line of fire!! - Don;t worry Lyndy - we'll send you some bunny hugs to recover.

Tams - correct me if I'm wrong :wink: but I'm sure the Charter promotes Education really strongly and the last thing we all want is to judge too quickly and too harshly - arn't we all here to help bunnies after all - This Forum is an excellent media to do just that - and if some is in dire straight with a bunny plight we all know that we'll move heaven and earth to help - but by attacking folks thats a sure way to drive folks away and that way we achieve absolutely nothing.

sorry - bunnytales here rabbiting on again I'll carry on with my baked spud now!! - hope this helps Indigoroses!!

bunnytales said:
there may be someone who can pop round and help you get them back in short term and give you some hands on advice!! - what do you think bunny forum folk - could this work???

thats a vey good idea, if I live locally to you indigoroses I will certainly help if you want.

Do you have any tunnels that you could position at the front of the shed leading into the shed so that, they would run and hide in them, you could block the one end so that there was only one way out - into the shed.

Bunny report: Bunny's seem happier with humans today it seems. They're not completely sprinting it anymore. Hopefully if the humans can stay destressed with a little patience bunnys might come for treats, and much as they hate the idea I do think that possibly a sheet might be the best way to go because they need to be checked over now.
I do think that some frantic bunny-chasing must have gone on as the humans got more worried and stressed. Which I think they can see hasn't helped, so chasing has been banned for a day at least to stop them feeling threatened.

Denny: I can think of a plastic sort of tube that might work as a tunnel, if they can chase them (with a stick hopefully, guiding them) into it, and then into the shed. That seems like it might work.

At the moment their hutch is in the garden, (As suggested) in the hope that they will go into it and get re-accquainted with it. My bunny-loving housemate doesn't want to do that, incase they will then only go in the hutch if it's outside, but it seems a better idea at the moment.

As for help, thanks so much for the offers, I'll ahve to ask my housemates (obviously, because I'm not there) but they might be grateful of some help, because even the experienced bunny person has failed. I just feel quite mean that I'm not there, because I wasn't having a problem with the bunny's coming to me (!) perhaps it's because I played with them alot before they werelet out I don't know.
Will keep everyone updated, and try the suggestions, thanks so much for all the advice.

couch.gif
Izzegon yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

bunnyhuggger said:
couch.gif
Izzegon yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No offence Bob but I am glad you don't live with me, we would be fighting over who wears the trousers :lol: :lol:

Back