• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help rabbits fighting

i have checked them both over and they seem fine there is no blood i looked underneath them

god what have i done??

Have you tried them in a different room to the one you first tried them in?
They maybe up tight and thats why she/he is tooth grinding? :?

Rachel, I'd put your bonded pair in a pet carrier and take them for a drive round. They will then be very unlikely to fight as they are too close and can't escape.

I would also put different clothes on if you have been handling Hector - he'll still be quite manly even though he has just been done. He will be for about 4 weeks.

What you are seeing is referred aggression.

My Katie and Captain did that whenever an un-neutered boy was here for fostering.

They can't get to Hector so they have a go at each other to assert their pecking order.

Don't keep your other buns apart if you can possibly help it, they will settle down but just remove them from Hector's scent.

If you need an indoor cage for overnight let me know and you can borrow one. Not suitable for Hector but would be for your other two.

Helen

Have you got time to tell us what happened from the start now that they are seperated?

Hope you are ok!!!

Hmmm.....

don't worry, it's not your fault. You weren't to know that they would react like that. The grinding she could be doing because she is stressed and nervous. Is there any way at all that you could split the room in two temporarily to house them seperately in order to let them calm down? They are both probably feeling very tense at the moment so maybe some time apart but where they can still see/smell one another may help. How old are they and are both neutered?

hi just spoken qith helen/dutchess. ive changed my top, just going to disinfect the big cat carrier and put them both in take them in the garden and for a drive. wish me luck i will be back in a bit.

oh yes they are both neutered and are a year old now.

Rachel says that things have calmed down now.

The bonded pair are in a separate room and will be going back outside where they live shortly.

Hector is a new bun to the family and will be living indoors. The other pair live outside.

Hector had gone outside for a quick spin in the run and the other two didn't appreciate him muscling in on their space with his big old manly smell (only neutered last week).

I think things should be fine if they are put back in their own environment without Hector around and without his smell.

Anyone else any thoughts that might differ so that Rachel doesn't have to worry?

Helen

good luck!

I'm sure they will be best buddies again soon once they have realised they are being a bit silly and had time to calm down :roll:

Rachel says that things have calmed down now.

The bonded pair are in a separate room and will be going back outside where they live shortly.

Hector is a new bun to the family and will be living indoors. The other pair live outside.

Hector had gone outside for a quick spin in the run and the other two didn't appreciate him muscling in on their space with his big old manly smell (only neutered last week).

I think things should be fine if they are put back in their own environment without Hector around and without his smell.

Anyone else any thoughts that might differ so that Rachel doesn't have to worry?

Helen

No I think it was nothing more than referred aggression...

Rachel just needs to make sure that even when Hector has had time to recover from his neuter that she is still careful when allowing him out for exercise when in view of the other two. :) If possible I would allow him to roam somewhere the other two can't see.

where should i put them in the carrier in the spare room hallway or where

I'd just pop it somewhere away from Hector so even outside the back door for a short while. Maybe only 10 minutes or so Rachel. You shouldn't need any longer than that. If it does start again (which I doubt) then that's when I stick them back in the carrier and take them for a 10 minute drive around.:D

No I think it was nothing more than referred aggression...

Rachel just needs to make sure that even when Hector has had time to recover from his neuter that she is still careful when allowing him out for exercise when in view of the other two. :) If possible I would allow him to roam somewhere the other two can't see.

I agree, I think its just referred aggression and they should be find once they have calmed down and are out of Hectors sight :)

hi helen once they have been outside in the carrier should i put them straight back into the hutch?

I think so. Especially with this rain, Hector's smell will have disappeared and they won't be able to see him anymore.

They should be absolutely fine, honestly.

They will probably have forgotten all about it.

Now I know why my dutch neutered pair have been behaving oddly,they live outside in the playhouse and Stumpy-bum has been outside in the run close by,they have been chasing each other,but when I bring Stumpy inside again they are ok.I am going to put stumpys run around the side of the house,away from Beatrix and Norman.I am sure your buns will be ok now Rachel x

hi we are back, well all it seems forgotten now, they are back in the hutch. they did sit a little seperate in the car journey but there is no fighting or fur pulling now!!! they are in the hutch mooving around.

Helen when should i clean them out now, should i leave it a couple of days or will tomorrow be ok?

thanks sooooo much for everyones help. dont know what i would do without you.

xxxxx

Hi Rachel.

I am pleased that all seems fine now.

If you want to clean them out now then it should be fine as they have had a while together.

As long as everything is familiar to them, they should be fine with that now.

You know where we all are if you need any more help!

Helen:D

Hi Rachel.

I am pleased that all seems fine now.

If you want to clean them out now then it should be fine as they have had a while together.

As long as everything is familiar to them, they should be fine with that now.

You know where we all are if you need any more help!

Helen:D

Hi Helen/everyone

the fistycufts have started again so i have brought them into the front room in the pet carrier and it has stopped again.

Do you suggest i keep them in tonight? also what do i do tomorrow when i am at work?:?:(

I am sorry to hear that it's kicked off again.

If you can keep them in tonight so that you can keep an eye, then I would. So long as they aren't near Hector. Just give them a litter tray and some water somewhere secure like a bathroom and they should be fine.

You might want to sit up with them a while though.

I am surprised that they didn't settle down.

Thing is, the smaller the space the better it should be to be honest. So I would try and keep them contained.

Hope they settle down soon.:(

hi i disinfected a dog crate and they kicked off in that buster got on top and humped her:oops: then they had a fight put them back in the pet carrier they not fighting but stomping their feet?

Back