• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP please what breed do you think these bunnies are (Pics added)

likeRAWR

Warren Scout

I was told they were dwarf lop and dwarf lop lionhead(he keeps one ear up and one down), but just want to be sure.

I am feeding them Excel dwarf pellets, don't know if I need to change to Adult pellets.

Dwarf lop and lionlop cross or dwarf lop/lionhead cross, and yes take them off Dwarf food I think it's pointless anyway. An adult dwarf rabbit is the same as any other adult rabbit, the extra things in junior/dwarf food often upset their stomachs too

how big are they? one is a lionhead x lop, and other is a lop, could be mini or dwarf depending on size

how big are they? one is a lionhead x lop, and other is a lop, could be mini or dwarf depending on size

Muffin (lop) is 3105g and Punky (lionhead) is 3230g.

Also, they don't seem overweight and they're active but what weight is the average for those breeds?

Muffin (lop) is 3105g and Punky (lionhead) is 3230g.

Also, they don't seem overweight and they're active but what weight is the average for those breeds?

I think they are a bit heavier than is average for those breeds. Dwarf lops are usually around 2-2.5kg, lionheads 1.5-2kg normally I think. Where did you get them from? If they are pet shop/back yard breeder/ mass breeder bred they are likely to be a bit of a heinz mix and wont be a pure breed and so wont conform to weight standards. It is best to just get them checked by a vet to see if they are over/under weight, as weight alone for mixed breed rabbits isnt really an indicator of whether they are a good size or not, if that makes sense.

They look like crossbreeds to be, the one with the lionhead gene showing is a LionLop, the other is a Lop of form, but both are crossed with something else somewhere along the line.

I think they are a bit heavier than is average for those breeds. Dwarf lops are usually around 2-2.5kg, lionheads 1.5-2kg normally I think. Where did you get them from? If they are pet shop/back yard breeder/ mass breeder bred they are likely to be a bit of a heinz mix and wont be a pure breed and so wont conform to weight standards. It is best to just get them checked by a vet to see if they are over/under weight, as weight alone for mixed breed rabbits isnt really an indicator of whether they are a good size or not, if that makes sense.

I bought them in a pet shop.
My vet has said that they're average weight/size and that they have no health problems from their size,
but couldn't confirm exactly the breed was as I said I bought from a pet shop.
Should they be put on a 'diet' to bring the weight down a bit?

Last edited:
I bought them is a pet shop.
My vet has said that they're average weight/size and that they have no health problems from their size,
but couldn't confirm exactly the breed was as I said I bought from a pet shop.
Should they be put on a 'diet' to bring the weight down a bit?

No just because they're larger than 'show weight' for purebreeds doesn't mean they're overweight. You often get rabbits bred for show which are too small or big so different weights (And I think the showing organisation is the only one with 'average' weights for every breed). And pet shop rabbits are often cross breeds which would affect size, if your vet says they're a good weight stick with that :)

32951128661293441113446.jpg

He is too cute :love: Such a poser

Aww they are gorgous!I have a petshop cross breed, who was sat in the back of a petshop for like 8 weeks, as she didn't sell because she looks odd :/ There is nothing wrong with her tho she is so gorgous! and yh shes about out of proportion and rather large but shes still cute!!

They are gorgeous. :love: My rabbit is about the same weight, slightly less at the moment. He is a lionhead cross. His coat and mane changes quite a lot during the year.

The photo of them together is especially sweet. :love:

They are very :love: The butterfly lop looks like Ted, we think he's a cross mini and dwarf and quite possibly a bit of something else as well :love:

Back