• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed! Rescues/fosterers. Pics page 3.

Aww I'm so happy I could cry! Just checking things on here before getting everything sorted for them. Typical the weather is so awful but I'll make sure they are warm and dry and have lots of hay! My 2 don't get veg but they get fresh forage from the garden, I'll be very careful about introducing anything to their diet. I have an appointment at the vets for them both at 10:45am, I hope they will be ok and Poppy isn't pregnant. :shock:

Poor bunnies, I can't wait to get them here. :cry:

Just to say that my brother lives in Richmond, N Yorks. I don't know when he's next planning a visit to me (or my parents) but I'll ask him to let me know and then, assuming the buns can be got to him in Richmond, he could bring them south to Leics :wave:

Bless them, I do hope that they can be helped. I remember a few years ago Caroline at the Rabbit Residence had an unneutered m-f pair come in who had lived together for a few years but never bred. It was suspected that they were so malnourished that they just weren't 'able' to conceive - a bit like how a seriously underweight human can stop menstruating, I suppose. I guess it's also possible that one of them is infertile - things like EC can cause that, but I think it's best to err on the side of caution and assume that as soon as they are given the right care, they could become fertile quite quickly.

Good luck x

Sorry I have not been on to update people, I have been running around totally none stop since I went to the get the bunnies at half 6. So I went to get them and they told me they couldn't fit the hutch out of the door because there is scaffolding in the way (which was fair enough) and the back gate out of the alleyway is locked on an evening so I couldn't get a hutch. I am going to pick up the hutch in a few days because they are busy tomorrow. This meant I would only have 1 hutch for them both, I figured this would be ok for a few days as they had apparently been living together for a year. Getting them back to mine I had a good look over them, Poppy seems ok but skinny and doesn't feel pregnant but the vets can hopefully confirm that tomorrow. She has a bald spot on her nose but I'm not sure what that is (will ask the vet). Jasper is even skinnier and has signs of dental issues; watery eyes and a wet chin. :cry: Apart from that there seems no be nothing wrong with them.
Well I put them in their hutch and right away Jasper tried to hump Poppy, I moved him off her but she was getting really annoyed at him, growling and boxing him. The hutch they were in "together" had a huge hole in it and apparently Poppy escaped all the time...so I'm asuming whenever Jasper went to hump her Poppy just jumped through the hole and ran around the yard. I think this could be she is so skinny, there was never any food/hay put out for her and so she probably hardly ate (the yard was concrete). I am only asuming these things since it seems extremely odd that Poppy isn't pregnant.
Anyway, I obviously had to split them, Poppy was getting stressed out and I wasn't risking her getting pregnant. The only other hutch I had currently had a hedgehog residing in it. After a little thought I figured I had no choice but to place Prof. Hoodwink (the hedgehog) in a storage box for the time being with a box of hay and her food and water and put Poppy in the hutch. I bleached it and rinsed it but the hutch still smelt of hedgehog (they are quite smelly things) but I think it will be ok. I had to totally rearrange the garage so I could fit both hutches in and have everything still accessible.
I then went to my friends to borrow a guinea pig cage to put Hoodwink in for a few days. She seems rather miffed at having her hutch taken from her but I'm sure she will get over it. :lol:
I despise what I have the bunnies in atm :cry: and the fact that they are out in the garage. I feel so horrible but it is only temporary. They have water, food and lots and lots of hay but niether have touched the hay. :( The situation is far from ideal but must be better than where they were.

I have some photos and will post them in a minute, don't hate me for their setup. :(

Meet Jasper :) (his eyes were fine yesterday but were very wet when I picked him up today)

P1030942.jpg

P1030950.jpg

P1030951.jpg

...And Poppy. She is much more scared than Jasper and has obviously not had much contact. She is also a bit of a stroppy madam!

P1030940.jpg

P1030948.jpg

P1030947.jpg

I'm so glad they are safe and sound. The rain is torrential here and they would certainly have gotten wet as they had no hutch cover and Poppy would most likely have been running around in the yard, they are now in my garage where it is relatively warm and definitely more dry! I will post up as soon as I get back from the vets tomorrow.
Right now, I'm going to go to bed! :lol:

So pleased they're safe :) Hope the check up goes well and there are no nasty surprises.

Also hope you are able to get the other hutch. I assume they're not having any more rabbits and so there's no reason for them to keep it.

The owner genuinely cared for them but just had no clue about them, she said she couldn't look after them anymore and so had to give them up.

I'm back from the vets, it went well. The vet gave them both a good check. Their hearts, breathing and bellies are all good. Poppy has a slight spur on her upper right side but her teeth seem fine otherwise. Jasper has a slight misaligned jaw and his upper right side is a bit long, there's a few spurs but nothing serious and no damage in his mouth. This is good news as I thought it may be a lot worse than this. The vets said it's probably diet related and should be rectified with diet but in Jasper's case he will probably need a dental at some point. She also said his incisors are long and could do with a trim in the future. I asked if he would need any painkillers but she said he really should be ok for now but to watch him to make sure he is eating ok.
Poppy is definitely a doe and doesn't seem to be pregnant but it'll be worth keeping an eye on her just incase.

Poppy weighs 1.4kg which doesn't seem to bad for a nethie, she still needs weight on her though and her muscles building up.
Jasper weighs only 1.48kg :cry: this is pretty bad since he should weigh around 2.4kg. :(

Good news overall then (apart from the weight thing but at least we can deal with that :) )

Well done for taking them to the vet so promptly. At least you know what you're dealing with now and can proritise what needs to be done :D

The owner genuinely cared for them but just had no clue about them, she said she couldn't look after them anymore and so had to give them up.

I'm back from the vets, it went well. The vet gave them both a good check. Their hearts, breathing and bellies are all good. Poppy has a slight spur on her upper right side but her teeth seem fine otherwise. Jasper has a slight misaligned jaw and his upper right side is a bit long, there's a few spurs but nothing serious and no damage in his mouth. This is good news as I thought it may be a lot worse than this. The vets said it's probably diet related and should be rectified with diet but in Jasper's case he will probably need a dental at some point. She also said his incisors are long and could do with a trim in the future. I asked if he would need any painkillers but she said he really should be ok for now but to watch him to make sure he is eating ok.
Poppy is definitely a doe and doesn't seem to be pregnant but it'll be worth keeping an eye on her just incase.

Poppy weighs 1.4kg which doesn't seem to bad for a nethie, she still needs weight on her though and her muscles building up.
Jasper weighs only 1.48kg :cry: this is pretty bad since he should weigh around 2.4kg. :(

Aww, they're adorable! :love: Well done for helping them. I hope a good diet is all that is needed to get them back in shape xx

:thumb:That's great news! Just a question re Jasper's weight. he looks like a lionhead to me. How much bigger is he than Poppy? The reason I ask is that I've been told that 2.4 kg is about right for Sprocket, who is a dwarf lop. We had a lionhead before him, Gasket, and he was much smaller than that, I think he weight about 1.8 kg maybe?

Well tbh Poppy seems quite large for a nethie...but I know next to nothing about them since I've never had nethies before. Jasper is bigger than her though but he's very fluffy, it was what the vet told me but I know their weight can vary. He's not a big lionhead so perhaps he would be less than 2.4kg? I honestly have no sense of weight haha. I will weigh Fiver (my bunny), who is about the same size as Jasper, to compare.

Fiver weighs 2kg. So I would think Jasper should weigh about that, wonder why the vet said about 2.4kg....that does seem alot if Fiver weighs 2kg!

Ah, yes it does sound a bit heavy for a small bun. TBH I was told Widget is a bit on the weighty side at 2.8! She's a crossbreed, bigger than Sprocket, but more like a hare in stature. I think she's got some English/dwarf lop in her.

I have just been out to check on them and feed them. They are doing well and eating their food but still don't seem to have eaten any hay. :( Their poos are small and black and some are quite soft. Hopefully this will change when they start eating their hay and settle down.
Poppy is very scared, she flinches when I touch her and runs away as soon as I open the cage door, she growls and thumps at me but I think that is a mixture of fear and hormones. I don't blame her, she has been passed around from pillar to post and never had the chance to bond to a human, poor girl :(. Hopefully with some love and care she will come around and realise not everybody is bad!
Jasper, however is perfectly settled in, he is acting as if he's been there his whole life. :lol: He has been asking for nose rubs and hops over happily to say hello when I walk in the garage. He has had nose rubs and been tooth purring. :love:

have you offered them small amount so fresh grass?..don't give too much as if not used to it can cause gas bt a small amount will be fine

Also as they are honeybunnies they need new names ( we only use a name once and both of theirs have been used), and also new names, new start :D

so thinking cap on!

Back