• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed - Mr B Very ill - updated

I started writing wants below just after getting back from hospital. We thought he'd made it through. He did come out of G.A. We saw him very briefly as wanted him to be able to rest, were going to visit him tomorrow morning again and I came home. Now I'm devastated, less than an hour after arriving home and 2 hours from leaving him after seeing him so briefly when he came out of GA, I got a call that he'd turned for the worse and they'd been administering CPR for 10mins already. I couldn't get there in time before he died. I so regret not being there for him in his last moments. That he's made it through the GA and woken up, the news they'd made some progress was great. It was the most positive news there'd been in 48hrs. He was about to turn 3 this New Years eve. We'd only had one Christmas together, but he was the perfect husbun for Ms B, the perfect bun/husbun for us. He fitted in he loved her, she loved him, we loved him. It's so unfair we didn't get to have more time together. It's so unfair he didn't get to grow old with love together as our family. I can't believe he's gone, that at the 1st moment of hope he then departed. I love you Mr B. Ms B does too. I miss you so much already and will do so every minute when I go to sleep or wake up and you're not there by my bed. When you're not there begging for kale as I watch tv in the evening sat on my sofa. When you're not there by the fridge after I get up and make my coffee. R.I.P Mr B. You've been the best. You are so sorely missed and we don't understand why you were taken from us before you time. You will never leave my heart, wait for me at the rainbow bridge so we can meet again. XXXXXX

Update: Thank you so much for all the well wishes from everyone. Mr B has made it through the G.A! :) We saw him soon after. The vet also put in a feeding tube through his nose down his throat while he was under, so the poor thing had 2 tubes coming out of him and taped to his head. His stomach shows no signs of blockage. They think he has meningitis though vet can't say for sure what's causing the brain inflammation, and the infection whether it's parasite or bacterial caused the stress, then stasis and is responsible for the high amount of neurological symptoms and seizures he's displaying. The tests for E.C. and his blood (for WBC) are being sent off, with results expected in about 10 days. Meantime they are going to start treating with a 28 day course for EC to both buns and limit contact time between the two of them while still keeping his wife close to him.

I'm so sorry :'(
I also lost my lovely boy Billy in similar circumstance on Saturday morning. Feel free to inbox me if you need to chat.
Sweet dreams Mr B and lots of hugs to you.
xxx

I started writing wants below just after getting back from hospital. We thought he'd made it through. He did come out of G.A. We saw him very briefly as wanted him to be able to rest, were going to visit him tomorrow morning again and I came home. Now I'm devastated, less than an hour after arriving home and 2 hours from leaving him after seeing him so briefly when he came out of GA, I got a call that he'd turned for the worse and they'd been administering CPR for 10mins already. I couldn't get there in time before he died. I so regret not being there for him in his last moments. That he's made it through the GA and woken up, the news they'd made some progress was great. It was the most positive news there'd been in 48hrs. He was about to turn 3 this New Years eve. We'd only had one Christmas together, but he was the perfect husbun for Ms B, the perfect bun/husbun for us. He fitted in he loved her, she loved him, we loved him. It's so unfair we didn't get to have more time together. It's so unfair he didn't get to grow old with love together as our family. I can't believe he's gone, that at the 1st moment of hope he then departed. I love you Mr B. Ms B does too. I miss you so much already and will do so every minute when I go to sleep or wake up and you're not there by my bed. When you're not there begging for kale as I watch tv in the evening sat on my sofa. When you're not there by the fridge after I get up and make my coffee. R.I.P Mr B. You've been the best. You are so sorely missed and we don't understand why you were taken from us before you time. You will never leave my heart, wait for me at the rainbow bridge so we can meet again. XXXXXX

I am so very sorry that Mr B could not recover :cry: It is obvious how much he was loved by his partner Mrs B and by his human family.

RIP Mr B xx

:cry: :cry:

Oh no 😢 so sorry he didn't recover and passed, know the feeling to well, sending you lots of hugs and thoughts x

I'm so very sorry :cry: It sounds as though he had a life full of love. Sending you lots of hugs.

Oh no! :'( I'm so very sorry. There has been an awful lot of bunnies passing away lately. :( I do hope Mrs B will be ok. Sending you lots and lots of hugs.

Binky free Mr B. Xx

Thank you for all your kind thoughts. Ms B and I are both finding the sudden loss of Mr B extremely painful to come to terms with. Anywhere we go and everything we do reminds us of him as they both free ranged. She was standing stock still by their drinking bowl just now with so much hurt in her eyes I thought she was about to cry. For a moment I was scared in case she's taking ill too but after I went up and stroked her, she came down and went over and sniffed their carrier. I'm giving her lots of attention and I'll be keeping a very good eye on her to make sure she is okay. Measuring out only half portions of food now hurts so much and yesterday, halfway through eating Ms B stops and waits, as though she is waiting for MR B show up so they can eat together as normal.... :cry::cry::cry: In the meantime the post mortem only showed signs of a slightly irritated liver, which the vet thought could be due to Mr B's lack of food before he passed. I gave permission for them to take a brain tissue sample, so we're waiting now for the results of that, the WBC and E.C. to come back in about 10 days.

R.I.P and binky free now from pain my beloved one. You were the sweetest and handsomest husbun we could ever want.

Last edited:
Back