• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed - bunny in the field out the back of my house!

Dont knw about thr, but scots law says an animal like a pet rabbit is "owned", if u find a wild animal and take it home and keep it then it's urs, but it must be truly wild, ie no1s ever owned it. otherwise they'll always hav a claim 2 it. Personally, if I loved him already Id not let on and then if they do come knocking say u were waitin 2 see "lost" posters because if u put up "found" ones any1 could say he was there's and u wouldnt want him fallin in2 wrong hands. Tht way looks like u'v been bein caring, not sneaky :wink:

My friend that found the guinea pig called the local vet to see if they had a client with the same animal and reported the find to the RSPCA, stuck up a couple of notices and in seven days he was hers the RSPCA said, so it's not 28 days.

AFAIK the rule only applies if you advertise the fact it's been found, if you don't do anything to attempt to notify the owner e.g. notify rescues, vets or put up posters then you could be dememed to be deliberated trying to deprive the owner of their property - stealing by finding.

Dogs must legally be taken by a dog warden or someone that's appointed by one hense a lot of rescues can't take stray dogs directly. I don't think the same applies to cats/small animals but they are considered property. So the same way that you can't keep a wallet you found on the street but if you hand it in (so someone looking for it can find it) and no one claims it for a certain period then you can.

Legally you have to make all reasonable efforts to contact the owner.

I would check the sex asap, if it's female then she could well deliver you a litter of wild rabbit crosses.

Tam

aaawwww what a beautiful bunny! Its amazing he/she has survived so long in the open with that gorgeous colouring :shock: Glad he is now safe and i hope you find out what sex he is and if he is lost soon. Well Done!! :D

Putting a poster up down the road today - so lets see if the owners ring. All I have written is: Rabbit found, if you are the owner please call ****

Bunnysam said:
Keep us posted :D

I bet you must be very attached to bun now :cry: Fingers crossed you get to keep him/her.

Yes I am :( I was hoping the owner would put their own poster up, or come knocking on doors (if they are local to here) but I haven't seen anything. I have been very reluctant to put this poster out but I can't move on or see him/her as my own until I have given them a fair chance to claim their bunny back.

Why not contact a local rescue centre and put a note up in the vets - that would the first place I would look. Also, if the owner is the family down the lane they would have to care enought to go out of their way to try and look for the rabbit - if they don't they don't deserve him/her.
S/he is the image of my second bun Tufty.

Just think though,

Im sorry I cannot remember your name but someone on here lost their bunny, I think the next door neighbour let it out!

I'd be devastated if Rosie went missing,

Maybe you could put posters up and make the people who come forward bring photos as proof, if they have no photos then they clearly arnt worthy of the bunnyness!

Just a thought

No sign of the owner yet....

I fear I may have to risk giving her (and I think it's a she now as I had another little lookie yesterday :roll: ) a name as I can't stand calling her an 'it' any longer lol

Any ideas???!!!???!!!! A unisex name might be a good idea at the moment until I can get the sex confirmed :D :roll: :lol:

Anybody any ideas on names.....? :roll:

I have today put a wire door between the shed and the outside run so they can see each other properly now for the first time :) The longer they can see and smell each other, the easier the bonding will be :wink: I have bonded 10 bunnies as a group before, so hopefully this won't be too hard :lol: :roll: (she says.....)

Back