• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed - bunny in the field out the back of my house!

Oh well done that is good news!!! :D

The trouble is he won't want to be put in a hutch anymore will he :lol:

You should enquire about and maybe put posters up and see the local vet but perhaps DON'T say what colouring he is because someone might say he is theirs and be lying and he might fall into nasty hands. Just a thought :?

Well done for catching him, not an easy task for you to have achieved, hopefully this poor rabit can now settle down to a normal rabbit life.

Could you take him to see if he is microchipped? If he is, you might recognize the name of the owners if they're near you and that might give you an idea of whether they're missing him or not.

If you think you know who it is, maybe you could pop round and say you've heard the rabbit belongs to them and say you've been trying to catch it before foxes do. They might be really grateful and not realised the lil bun could stilll be alive. In which case the next day you could say you managed to trap him and return him to them.

If they don't seem bothered, then just keep him and keep quiet -he'll be better off with you. You could have him microchipped under your name in case anyone contests it in the future.

At least that way you've given original owners a chance while doin best by bunny - well done for catching him/her! :thumb:

I'd put up some posters saying "rabbit found" but don't give any other details. You never know who might phone up after a free pet. I agree that you should see if he's microchipped and tell the owners you've "seen" him if you can track them down. A bit naughty, I know, but it's always possible that they just can't be bothered with him.
Well done on catching him! I hope he doesn't do a Houdini and escape again!

I have decided to keep quiet for a few days and see if they come looking for him - I know if I had lost a bunny I would be putting posters up and knocking on doors. If it belongs to the people I think it does they have children as they have toys in the back garden - I do hope it's not a childs pet and they have got fed up :? I know it's not always the case, I too have children (although my animals are my responsibility not theirs in any way, shape or form) but I know it often happens, and people do turf them out.

Have just taken some photos of him - I think it's a he but difficult to tell! Under 6 months I would say, not very old anyway. He's very pretty :) His mane is a bit matted so I might try to brush it later on.

stray.jpg

stray2.jpg

Surely if someone who owned him cared, then they would advertise locally?
Does finders keepers stand up in law? :lol: Maybe ask local vets if they have anyone similar on their books or have had any enquiries. But I would imagine you have a new friend there!

Well Spacegirl, I live up a lane at the top - all the folk up here have to go down the same lane to get out so if somebody has lost him, then all they would have to do is put a poster down the bottom of the lane and it would cover the whole road. I will wait and see if they appear concerned I guess, I'm reluctant to say anything at the moment as I don't want him to go back to somebody who's not really bothered. If they talk to their neighbour then they will find out we were trying to catch him almost two weeks ago! If they really want their bunny they will find out it's us that has him. They would also see the bunny shed/run from the field he was in, and probably see him hopping about! So they just need to open their eyes and they'll not go far wrong. If he were mine, I'd be frantically looking, I don't see anybody looking :( I dare not think of him as my own - I'd love to give him a name, but I just daren't get attached yet!!! :roll:

Well done for getting him :)

I think if you want to keep him then the possibility of them coming to get him is going to hang over you unless you talk to them.

Just explain that you have found a rabbit that you want to keep....

Otherwise, perhaps it might be worth calling the rspca advice line to see what they think the situation is on this....number on the website

That's very true Mandy. Perhaps I will wait a while, then put the poster down the road and say I am happy to offer it a home with my other bunnies? That way they won't feel obliged to take it back if they don't really want it? :idea:

shantel said:
That's very true Mandy. Perhaps I will wait a while, then put the poster down the road and say I am happy to offer it a home with my other bunnies? That way they won't feel obliged to take it back if they don't really want it? :idea:

Thats a good idea.

We once adopted what we believed to be be a stray cat where we used to live- literally 5 of my neighbours told us he was a stray as he'd been hanging around for ages and everyone was feeding him but no one could have him live with them.

So we took him....and then a week later there was a knock on the door- his owners had seen him sat in the window. Was so upset! I should have thought to put posters up.

wow, hes so sweet, i think your doing the right thing. If you want to put posters up id make it very gerneral like 'rabbit found' call 000000. If you really want to keep him then get him microchipped as previously suggested, and if the worst comes and someone wants to claim him months down the line he is registered to you which would probly prove the YOU are the legal owner of bunny

on the other hand there is a very slim chance that they may just think that theres such a slim chance of him being found in the wild they didnt bother to put up posters or try and find him.

or maybe just forget the feelings of us humans-wat do u thinks best for bun, who do u think could give him the best home. My guess is that your much more dedicated to his care/happiness than previous owners... :wink:

I think the worse thing about all this is that I don't know what sex he/she is and I don't like calling him an it!! It would be nice to know either way if he's staying or going. :roll: :lol:

shantel said:
I think the worse thing about all this is that I don't know what sex he/she is and I don't like calling him an it!! It would be nice to know either way if he's staying or going. :roll: :lol:

have you had a look ,will be pretty obvious if he's a he at a few months old :oops:

i 'think' animals are still unfortunately classed as 'property'.
and i 'think' that if this is the case, you can report him found to the police, they will tell you if you need to do anything like posters etc, then after a few weeks (not sure exactly how long) if no one claims him he is then officially your to do with as you please :D
dont quote me on this, but i would definately give your local station a call, saying that you will hold onto him for as long as it takes so. and ask for the name etc of who you speak to so if ever it is contested you can prove you reported him found :D

have you had a look ,will be pretty obvious if he's a he at a few months old

I can't see the obvious things Mandy lol :lol: I don't think he's very old so perhaps they're ahem not showing yet :roll: I think I will have him checked over by the vet next week, find out the sex, approx age and if he's chipped etc.

colliewoman - I have a feeling it's something like 28 days as a friend of mine found a guinea pig and didn't name him until the time passed. I will find out!

So glad you have managed to get this very beautiful baby and I can understand exactly where you are coming from....just keep us posted on the progress please

Back