• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help identifying plants (pic heavy)

natsbunnies

Warren Scout
I went for a little walk today (was inspired by all the lovely foragers on here) but I am AWFUL with identifying anything so if I could please ask for some help with these.

IMG_3449_zps99e6a18d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] sorry for the blur

IMG_3448_zps2da0e3aa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I think this is bramble

IMG_3447_zps265d0154.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3445_zpsc5f91eac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I think thats nettle

[URL=http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/natsbunnies/media/IMG_3444_zpsd887ea43.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w680/natsbunnies/IMG_3444_zpsd887ea43.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
This was just growing on the ground
IMG_3443_zpsac86395f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
So was this one
IMG_3442_zpsacd4d4ab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3434_zpsb320dfc5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any help would be great if any of these can be eaten by the buns

Im pretty certain that last pic in situ is Dock, as far as Im aware it is poisonous to most animals.

I am by no means an expert but I think they are;

- Dock not edible, quite poisonous actually.
- no idea, has thorns so maybe a rose of some sort? Leaves look a bit to nasty to tell.
- goose grass (if it is sticky) edible and tasty apparently (I'm allergic to it so buns don't get any)
- nettle, probably dead nettle if you can touch it! I think it's edible.
- maybe buttercup? Not sure.
-don't know
- don't know
- Dock again.

Yes, the last one is dock. It is poisonous - but I've read somewhere that the young leaves are ok - I would never risk it.

The one you thought was nettle is, indeed, white dead nettle, and is safe (mine love it). Can't help with the others, sorry - we need Parsnipbun!

Thank you so much.
Are there some nettles that they can't eat?
Also if anyone can confirm the goose grass looking one. Yes it was a little sticky it stuck a lot to my gloves, was very tricky to get in my bag lol.

Is it best for them to have fresh forage or to dry it.

Sorry for all the questions the only thing I have ever picked for them is dandelions so I am a COMPLETE idiot when it comes to this foraging stuff. So I need all the help going

Lovely thanks Hele. I may have to go back and look at it again.
What was growing was only a few inches high so difficult to tell as what I have is on a much smaller scale. Thanks for the link :D

IMG_3441_zps8a256a47.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the lovely place I get to go looking round. :D

Thank you so much.
Are there some nettles that they can't eat?
Also if anyone can confirm the goose grass looking one. Yes it was a little sticky it stuck a lot to my gloves, was very tricky to get in my bag lol.

Is it best for them to have fresh forage or to dry it.

Sorry for all the questions the only thing I have ever picked for them is dandelions so I am a COMPLETE idiot when it comes to this foraging stuff. So I need all the help going

The deadnettle (and other forage) is fine to feed 'raw'. I think that other nettles have to be dried - but I've never tried feeding them.

Back