• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help for Berrys legs please.

I have a rabbit with spondylosis which is causing hind limb issues. Daisy is on daily metacam by mouth and monthly Cartrophen injections. It might be worth talking to your vet about Cartrophen as it is good for arthritis. The injection is given at weekly intervals for 4 weeks and then monthly thereafter.

We have seen improvement with Daisy's mobility since she has been on Cartrophen. She actually did a binky a couple of weeks ago, not very high and not very graceful but it was good to see. :D

Just to say I've given Doughnut lots of medicine and I know what you mean about the anxious eye, once I've picked her up, that's in I have no chance again for a few days, she's off and running!

I used to put her medicine on a bit of weetabix, it soaks it up and most rabbits love weetabix, so stressfree. She is now just on infracol and metaclop and sometimes metacam and I've discovered she loves all of them! I just offer her the syringe, which I had found this out a year or so ago when I used to stress every day about getting her medicine in. Maybe just offer the syringe and see what happens, here's a demonstration, hope it helps and well done for getting your beloved bunny sorted.

[video]http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Doughnutpic/media/video-2013-09-11-18-23-29_zps7cd5eb62.mp4.html[/video]

Does your bun like raspberries? I put fergs medicine in the raspberry hole so it's like a cup - that's the only way he'll take it :)

Thanks all for your replies. I will certainly add them to the list . . . .and keep you posted.

If he does not improve both in taking them and in ease of movement I will certainly ask the vets about the cartrophen injections - that sounds much easier.:)

I have thought of physio but can't seem to find any on this area. I will keep looking.

Thanks again , nose rubs from my pair to all your lovelies. X x :love:

berrys legs. U/D 25th April.

Just an update. Berry has he a few visits to the vets and although still on tramadol and metacam - don't see any improvement but at least he is in no pain! - we have also been put onto cartrophen injections every 3 days. I have been doing them myself and getting on ok although yesterday he did jump as I did it.:(

On others posts I notice that they had their injections weekly so I guess Berry must be on little and often? He has had 3 now and we have not seen improvement yet, am I right on thinking that cartrophen builds up and then works rather than instant success?

Now today he is off to a different vets - a longish car journey which will be interesting:roll: for acupuncture!

Our vet has been amazing, don't know if I allowed to name on here or not but the practice is powis and partners in stourbridge, he has researched on his weekend, rang around other rabbit 'expert' vets and frequently rung me at work or home with any updates. I am really touched by his efforts..so yes, off we go to Kidderminster at 12 and see if we can help my wonderful boy anymore than we are already. :love:

Thanks to Tracy and hugos there for acupuncture and cartrophen recommendations and to all good wishes from everyone else. Xx:love:

Last edited:
Back