• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - Female and Male Rabbit suddenly started fighting

DustyFudge

New Kit
Hello,

We have two rabbits around the age of 9 months. They were both neutered/spayed about 2-3 months ago and have been happily living together ever since until now. They are brother and sister and so were introduced to eachother from first sight. We did however had to split them up for a few months until they were old enough to be spayed/neutered. But they could always see each other and we allowed them to cuddle each other under very close supervision.

They live outside in a hutch with a large run but we handle them on a daily basis allowing them to have a run around the living room for an hour or so. (We do ensure they have food and water when they are indoors). They have always been very affectionate towards each other and never demonstrated any anger towards each other over the past 3 months of living together until now.

Just recently, perhaps 4 times over the past week they have been really aggressive to each other. The girl has even caused a few bite marks on the boy. We believe the aggressive behaviour to start when the boy starts humping the girl and she runs away. And of course, he runs after her, which she suddenly lashes out with her teeth with fur going everywhere.

We are struggling to understand why they are suddenly fighting from this and how they can love each other the one minute and be so aggressive the next?

Could anyone please provide any advice on this as we desperately want them to live happily together as its heart breaking seeing othe rabbits on their own and we do not want it to come to this. We have taken them to the vets and despite the cost they have not provided any advice! (Both are healthy)

Also, we have since discovered a few bite marks on the boy which we will keep a close eye on but can anyone recommend some rabbit friendly antiseptic or do they need another trip to the vets?

Any guidance or thoughts would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you

I'm sorry to hear about the breakdown in your rabbits relationship. Its possible they may have been spooked outside & now exhibiting referred aggression, maybe one is under the weather although you do so both are healthy. Its difficult to fathom rabbits a lot of the time. Are the bites infected at all?

Someone in the know will be along shortly. Best of luck

Thank you. The cut appears clean and not very deep. However, I thought it best to check just in case I should be taking them to the vets as a matter of precaution? I imagine they'd have squabbles if they were in the wild and incurring cuts all the time? Possibly, that would make sense but usually when rabbits are frightened they usually bond?

Thanks again.

Tonibun, this happens inside mainly. Usually within the first 15 minutes of them being in the room together. This seems to be where they get more aggressive towards eachother but they have done it outside once but not as bad. They have a two tier hutch which when the chasing starts, the girl will hop upstairs and it appears to prevent any scraps? The only thing that we have changed, was the day before the first fight when we placed a litter tray in the corner for them in the lounge. They both wee in this, but didn't really pay too much attention to it at first?

it might be that they are having to re-establish who is dominant each time they come across new territory which might translate as each time they come in the house. I'd be tempted to leave them in their regular hangout & monitor closely

We will try this, but they have been in and out of the house every day for the past few months and have always been fine. If we manage to stop the chase at the very start, moments after they are together cuddling? It just feels so out of the ordinary for them both.

The only times my pairs chase is if I am coming round for food or when another rabbit approaches their territory. Cats can also set them off. I agree with JoeyandBoo to leave them in their normal arrangement and go from there. When it gets very cold it is not advisable to bring rabbits indoors for short periods as the change in temperature can upset their respiratory tract.

Also as rabbits are territorial animals, it may be confusing for them to have 2 territories if you see what I mean.

Hi
We have a recently bonded male/female pair who seemed to be getting on reasonably well, if a bit suspicious of each other, then all of a sudden they had a massive kick off and we didn't understand why. It was quite nasty with a lot of fur everywhere, small bite on his shoulder, and a sprained leg/wrenched shoulder for her. The vet couldn't offer any suggestions but said we should separate them. After talking to the rescue Centre where they were bonded, we came to the conclusion that it was to do with the treats they had been eating. They had been eating Nature's Salad by Rosewood (which basically looks like a bag of pot pourri). Because there are different herbs in there, some of which have a strong smell like mint, their urine was smelling different to how it normally smells which can apparently set them off fighting. Once we took the stuff away from them they were fine after a day or two. Lynn at the Rescue centre says she has come across this before with bonded pairs eating bunny treats, especially if one is eating them and the other isn't, or if they are picking different herbs etc out of the mix. So perhaps just check what they have been eating if the territory suggestions aren't working! If you manage to stabalise things then don't give them any treats to celebrate!

Back