• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Ebony is missing fur under her dewlap!

Bebbeb

Young Bun
Hello everyone!

I hope you can help me, I'm really worried and all vets are closed today!

My friend picked up my bun today and I saw her missing fur, it was red like she pulled it out. When I went to look closer and move the fur out of the way it went further back! it looks like she's missing a lot and it's all red raw, I saw what looked like a white scab further up but I'm very squeamish and didn't get a great look! She;s acting normal and hasn't had a change in behaviour or appetite and it's not visible unless someone else picks her up so I don't know how long it's been there! From what I saw it looked fresh.

Please can someone tell me what this might be? is she pulling it out herself? Should I be worried? Will she be ok?!

She's not up to date with vacinnes either. I was going to take her this month or next when I got payed

Hello everyone!

I hope you can help me, I'm really worried and all vets are closed today!

My friend picked up my bun today and I saw her missing fur, it was red like she pulled it out. When I went to look closer and move the fur out of the way it went further back! it looks like she's missing a lot and it's all red raw, I saw what looked like a white scab further up but I'm very squeamish and didn't get a great look! She;s acting normal and hasn't had a change in behaviour or appetite and it's not visible unless someone else picks her up so I don't know how long it's been there! From what I saw it looked fresh.

Please can someone tell me what this might be? is she pulling it out herself? Should I be worried? Will she be ok?!

You'll probably have to get a vet to have a good look when they open. It could be a sore or abscess, or something that's irritating her to make her pull her fur out.

She could also be having a phantom pregnancy:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Pseu_preg/pseudo_en.htm

Please try not to worry!

You'll probably have to get a vet to have a good look when they open. It could be a sore or abscess, or something that's irritating her to make her pull her fur out.

She could also be having a phantom pregnancy:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Pseu_preg/pseudo_en.htm

Please try not to worry!

I'm going to ring asap tomorrow! I've never seen her do this before so I'm on edge.

She once had to be seen with her nipples swollen and lactating! So I hope you're right and this is due to phantom pregnancy :/

Does pull fur from their chest area when they are nesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuTTbC5ImU4

Is she your only Rabbit ? If so then she obviously cannot be pregnant but she could be having a pseudo-pregnancy (phantom pregnancy)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Pseudopregnancy_Rabbit.htm

In order to ascertain exactly what the fur loss is due to you need to get your Rabbit seen by a Vet x

She is my only one so there's no pregnancy but she has had what I think was a phantom pregnancy before!

She's 5/6ish I wanted to get her spayed this month or next but was worried about her age?

She is my only one so there's no pregnancy but she has had what I think was a phantom pregnancy before!

She's 5/6ish I wanted to get her spayed this month or next but was worried about her age?

If she is in over-all good health and she is not over-weight then I would certainly consider having her spayed. I would only want a Vet who is very experienced with treating Rabbits/Rabbit surgery to carry out the procedure.

As you may know, entire Does have a high risk (approx 80%) of developing uterine cancer from the age of about 5. Pseudopregnancies can be a warning sign, but they do not mean that the Doe definitely already has a uterine cancer

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UterineAdenocarcinomaRabbit.htm

If she is in over-all good health and she is not over-weight then I would certainly consider having her spayed. I would only want a Vet who is very experienced with treating Rabbits/Rabbit surgery to carry out the procedure.

As you may know, entire Does have a high risk (approx 80%) of developing uterine cancer from the age of about 5. Pseudopregnancies can be a warning sign, but they do not mean that the Doe definitely already has a uterine cancer

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UterineAdenocarcinomaRabbit.htm

Personally I think she is in good health but we will see tomorrow! I will ask about having her spayed when I get her seen to.

I'm well aware of the high risk ebony is at which is why I was hoping to have her done soon

I'm going to ring asap tomorrow! I've never seen her do this before so I'm on edge.

She once had to be seen with her nipples swollen and lactating! So I hope you're right and this is due to phantom pregnancy :/

Yes, hope so :D She is lucky to have such a concerned owner. I know you know of the risks both of spaying and not spaying, and will make the right decision when you talk with the vet about it.

Good luck xx

Yes, hope so :D She is lucky to have such a concerned owner. I know you know of the risks both of spaying and not spaying, and will make the right decision when you talk with the vet about it.

Good luck xx

Thank you so much! I've had this worry in the back of my mind all day! Even asked a friends mum her opinion and she think's it may be hormonal which I hope it is too! This forum has kept me at ease so thank you everyone who has commented, it means a lot to me <3

She's a bloody pain sometimes! But I can't help love her xx

Thank you so much! I've had this worry in the back of my mind all day! Even asked a friends mum her opinion and she think's it may be hormonal which I hope it is too! This forum has kept me at ease so thank you everyone who has commented, it means a lot to me <3

She's a bloody pain sometimes! But I can't help love her xx

You're very welcome :D

Hey all,

Just to give you an update, I took Ebony today and the vet isn't fully sure whether it's a growth or hormones so I have been given some cream to rub in twice a day and I have to go back in 10 days, they'll determine then whether it's a growth or not judging by size. If it is a growth they can remove it but it's up to me and whether I want to take the risk.

I spoke about spaying and they said personally because of her age they wouldn't recommend it as it's a very risky procedure.

I'm struggling getting the cream on her, she's on edge so she is very hard to catch! any advice on how I can calm her down? I feel like she's constantly hiding now.

Back