• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Any ideas?

The vets have not managed to get hold of the apramycin :( Although they now think it may not be mucoid enteritis, although the babies were showing all the typical signs of it. They think it might be best to send Violet for a post mortem. They are going to try and arrange it today.

Oh Lind i know that the PM can be very destressing but it will confirm what it is, hang in there im thimking of you XXXXX

nope they did pass squishy poo which would be normal but not blood but in some ways it seems strange this is usually due to stress but babies usually get this not aduts, is there any way they have been stressed, iv know adults can get it but seems wiered how they all have got it but could be due that seeing a ill one as stressed them all out as with one litter the one stared then they all became ill over a few days but i know its not catching. iv only ever saved 2 from this and lost about 4 but with one i might of been able to save but the flys got to him in a matter of an hour as we put then out side in a pen as we thought it was best as they could get grass and freash air and they seemed to peark up but the flys got to one and he couldnt go though that too so was pts, but u have tryed ur best and i know how u feel iv not known many survive
becky

That was what I thought was strange, because they don't all live together so even if the babies and Heidi had got stressed I can't see how all of them could. Violet was in by herself! My vet called me late this evening and said to have all of them vaccinated in the morning. I have got to go and collect the vaccines tomorrow and then vaccinate them all against vhd.

Another 2 dead this morning. 1 was little Poppy. Tamsin do you know if you have to have them tested for coccidia before starting treatment or can you just start it anyway, because I do have the drug that they say treats it.

This was little Poppy

RSCN0665.jpg

You really need to talk it over with your vet as I'm sure there are different treatment, different doses and I don't know what effect it could have if that isn't the problem. Remember I'm only guessing from your description and what I've read online, I'm not a vet. If your vet is stumped you need to insist on getting intouch with an expert.

There is abit more infor on drugs/treatment in this PDF: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/coccidiosis_general.PDF

I think diagnosis is done by examining the poop so if your vet says go ahead with treatment you could seal some in a plastic bad and stick it in the fridge until you can get it to the vets for testing.

Best wishes,
Tam

Thanks. I had a post mortem done on 3 of the bunnies this evening by a friend of mine from DEFRA. He has taken lots of samples of faeces, intestines and liver and I will have the results on Monday, although he said he thinks it is mucoid enteritis but there may be an underlying bacteria causing the problem,if there is he will have cultured it by mid morning on Monday, so until then I have just got to wait! Thanks for everyones advice.

Well I don't get my PM results till tomorrow,BUT I have not lost anymore. :D There was 2 more who had the bloated belly and passing mucus but they look alot brighter today and are eating and drinking. This extra hot weather seems to be helping them?

I have just had a call from DEFRA with PM results. They say that they have got mucoid enteritis, but they found pastuerella in the liver and a massive growth of E.coli. Obviously E.coli is opportunistic so may not be relevant. The pasteurella in the liver he said may just be due to the fact they were run down and the pasteurella got into the blood supply and ended up in the liver. He said that often rabbits have these strange episodes and you will loose alot and then it will suddenly stop and you will never know the real reason that it happened. He is now running sensitivity tests on the e.coli and pasteurella to find the exact right antibiotic for it, as he said there would be no harm in treating them even if that is just secondary. I lost my house bun Annie yesterday. She had 1 week old babies which I am now handrearing and they are taking it quite well.

RSCN0340.jpg

I have just caught up on this thread, what a horrible time for you, thinking of you and keepig everything crossed that it gets better soon

xxx

I have just caught up on this thread too. I am sending you loads of hugs and thinking of you and the furries

Take care
Kay

Back