• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP/ADVICE NEEDED! Bunnies on the way!

KTJ

Alpha Buck
Hi Everyone :)

I re-homed 2 silver fox rabbits recently, Smokey and Bandit. I was told that they were both males and were brothers. After having them sexed, I was told they were both boys. However, I recently noticed that Smokey was humping Bandit and was told by vets that it was just a dominance thing and not to worry... but then for the first time ever, Bandit began nesting and taking his own fur and putting it into the nest.... So after noticing this over the past few days, I went back to the vets to double check and was informed that Bandit is in fact a female.... and she's pregnant.

I am only 20, and I have re-homed many animals, but none of my pets have ever had babies, so I am quite apprehensive.

The lady who an hour ago told me my rabbit was a pregnant female has given me some great advice... Ive got to separate Smokey and Bandit from now on, which is lucky as I have a rabbit pallace arriving this afternoon which is 3 times as big as the one they were in because I felt they needed a bigger hutch, so housing them separately isnt a problem.

Ive got to leave the bunnies for atleast 2 weeks, and let Bandit get on with being a Mum. She also needs more veg, but she already gets quite a lot, so I dont know whether to give her even more?

Does any one have any tips on what to do, what to buy, what to prepare, what not to do etc? Any help would be great! xx

Oh dear it's a shame the rabbits were mis-sexed but unfortunatley its pretty common.

I haven't any hands on experience of pregnant does and baby buns but has learned a lot from reading threads on here.

You certainly need to seperate the buns because if the buck is present when the doe gives birth it is possible for her to get pregnant straight away (even within 1 hour of the birth!) resulting in a second litter 31 after the first.

The doe certainly needs ad lib hay and water and perhaps extra pellets but I don't think extra veggies are usually advised and certainly any diet changes could adversely affect her tummy.

The doe will make a nest so provide plently of safe, warm nesting material and let her get on with it.

It seems that it is advisable to check on the babies each day, rubbing your hands on mum and her litter to take on her smell, to ensure they are warm and well with well fed round tummies, while mum is distracted with some food (a helper is useful). You may think mum is ignoring them as she will only return to the nest once or twice a day, perhaps at night, to feed them.

Have a look at some old threads and you will get some excellent advice.

I don't know much about babies, I'm afraid, but I'm certain you'll need to bring mum and babies inside as its far too cold outside at the moment for little ones.

Have you got an unheated room you can set her up in? You are best moving her before she delivers as the move might upset her and lead her to neglect them, once they're born.

Good luck!

If you're keeping the bunnies outside, it's best to bring the doe and babies inside until they're older. It's really much too cold outside for babies: I had a really sad case last Christmas where someone called me up to ask advice because their 'boy' rabbit had given birth, but unfortunately the seven babies died outside before their owner could bring them in: obviously I can't know all the details, but I think it was partly because they were so cold. If you can find a warm place for the doe inside your house (but not too warm, rabbits overheat at lower tempratures than we do) and keep her nice and quiet and warm that should really help her. Give her plenty of hay to eat and don't limit her food either. Remember that you can't clean her out or handle her or the babies until the babies open their eyes.

Best of luck to you and the mum. :)

Thank you so much for everyone's response, the support off people is phenomenol.
I am presuming that Bandit is just over a week pregnant, maybe 10 days, as I have never seen her and Smokey mating before then, but I know that the gestation period is very short, so at a guess, she has approximately another 10-12 days before she's due to give birth, so is it best to bring her inside in about a week's time?
I have a room which I can give to Bandit and her babies which will be perfect for her.
I was also advised not to handle her as it may affect the babies, but when I re-homed him (sorry! I can't stop calling him a her, it's so unexpected) and Smokey, they had either been mis-treated or just not handled enough, so they both hate being handled, so that's not really a problem because I just tend to let them do what they want, and most of the time they will come to me anyway.

Thanks again for the support, I knew sexing a rabbit incorrectly was quite common, but I never thought it would happen to me for some reason!! xx

as far as im aware handling of kits is ok provided the mom is ok with you and your hands smell of her and the nest,
some do just check the nest every day to remove any that may of died, check there tummys are plump, moms feeds about once a day, if you have a nose in the search bit, there is oddles of info for you to nose through :D

Gestation is usually around 31 -33 days I believe (?)

Remember if you bring them in they will all need to stay in until the warmer weather in the spring.

Generally speaking rabbits are not fond of being held (although there is always an exception), best to allow them to come to you for a stroke etc although of course it is necessary to know how to handle them safely so you can check bottoms etc in the summer months especially. I guess though as you say it is best to leave her be while she is pregnant. I would continue to stroke her and perhaps hand feed her so that she is used to you and trusts you.

Good luck.

Do you know what, I think Im going to change my vets, because it was them who told me that Bandit was a male, and it was them who told me today that the gestation period for a rabbit was about 3 weeks!... I have never needed to know that before as I have never bred rabbits or been concerned that any of mine have been pregnant, but after a quick search, you are right, the gestation time is about 31-33 days, so I have a lot of planning to do in order to make sure my Bandit is introduced to living inside a few days before the birth. Thanks for the luck, but I think it's Bandit who needs it, poor Baby!!!

I think you're doing a fantastic job in such a surprise situation!

It may be a good idea to find a new vet, yes--perhaps someone on here could reccommend a bunny-savvy vet in your area?

Also, in my experience, I really wouldn't handle the litter until they're a few weeks old--it really CAN make the mum reject them, and that's not a good situation for anyone!

Once again--good luck to you and to Bandit!

Oh I agree don't handle them - I should have been clearer - just check on them in the nest having made your hands smell of the doe and distracted her.

I'm not sure about moving the doe before the kits are born, if you are going to move her I would have thought the sooner the better, (I'm not saying its necessary just, if you are going to, let her get used to her new surroundings well before the birth).

I'm sure there is a thread with lists of bunny savvy vets in all areas.

Where abouts in Cornwall are you? Perhaps I can suggest a good rabbit vet?

I really hope all goes smoothly. It sounds like you're a great bunny mum anyway! :D

Where abouts in Cornwall are you? Perhaps I can suggest a good rabbit vet?

I really hope all goes smoothly. It sounds like you're a great bunny mum anyway! :D

Hi Hoppit, sorry I didnt reply sooner, I post so many things that I forget to check back on a few of them!
I'm in Newquay, but I often travel to Truro and Falmouth if you know of any good rabbit vets around those areas? No worries if not though :) Im trying my hardest to be a good bunny mum... I do hope that Bandit isn't pregnant, because I re-homed her and her brother, and I feel like Ive been irresponsible by not having either of them neutered, but until I joined this forum last week, I didn't know how vital and beneficial it is to have rabbits spayed/neutered. I'm only 20 and I know Ive got a lot to learn, and Im so grateful for all the help and advice Ive received off this forum, it's helping me be the best bun mum I can be!! :D xx

Hi Hoppit, sorry I didnt reply sooner, I post so many things that I forget to check back on a few of them!
I'm in Newquay, but I often travel to Truro and Falmouth if you know of any good rabbit vets around those areas? No worries if not though :) Im trying my hardest to be a good bunny mum... I do hope that Bandit isn't pregnant, because I re-homed her and her brother, and I feel like Ive been irresponsible by not having either of them neutered, but until I joined this forum last week, I didn't know how vital and beneficial it is to have rabbits spayed/neutered. I'm only 20 and I know Ive got a lot to learn, and Im so grateful for all the help and advice Ive received off this forum, it's helping me be the best bun mum I can be!! :D xx

Hey, don't feel bad! I'm 20 too, and even though I thought I researched buns thoroughly before I bought them 6 years ago I still find there's a lot I don't know. The people on this site have been a huge help to me, and I'm sure you'll find RU useful too. I'll PM you now with vet details.

Back