• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heidi is 10

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
In August 2014 I went to a county fair that had many different things to see and do. After looking at the creative arts exhibits, I went to view the rabbit show for the 4-H group, youth.
I saw a couple dwarf bunnies, my first loves, before noticing some black mini rex bunnies. Our mini rex was elderly and had become an an important part of our lives.
After the judging, several bunnies were for sale, including the black mini rex bunnies that caught my eye. I asked about a young bunny, and the 13 year old owners mom suggested her son show me an adult bunny, named Fraidy. I sat down and held her and she was a very good girl. I worried about her fate if I did not get her, so I gave the teen boy $20, a bargain, and had to wait until the fair ended to take her home.
She was a year and a half old, so she is now 10 years old. I do not know her exact birthday.
When she arrived home, she was afraid of everything and hid her head, as if we could not see the rest of her. I changed her name from Fraidy to Heidi and covered part of area so she would feel safe. She was my bunny, Our elderly mini rex, Black Velvet was my spouses girl.
When Black Velvet went to the bridge, he was devastated. He grieved a long time and one day he started talking to Heidi, giving her treats and before long she chose him as her human. I call Heidi his Bunny Honey.
I still hold her and enjoy her very petable velvety fur, yet my spouse will always be her #1 human. Each morning he talks to her as he gives her breakfast pellets and fresh water and adds fresh hay.
She comes to him and allows him to give her pets and rubs on her ears. I am so glad she is here to give us joy.

Last edited:
As you know, I have a special place in my heart for Rexes :love: Heidi is very lucky to have been found by you and to have a living home for so many years.

I can’t imagine my home without a Rex x

Happy Birthday Heidi :love: She must be very beautiful and the fact that I don't remember hearing very much about her, suggests that she has also been a very healthy bunny :love:

Omi,
You are correct that Heidi has only had a relatively few health issues, though that may change now that she is older. She is shedding now, so I am watching her output closely.
Once she is done shedding, I will try to get a photo.

Omi,
You are correct that Heidi has only had a relatively few health issues, though that may change now that she is older. She is shedding now, so I am watching her output closely.
Once she is done shedding, I will try to get a photo.

That would be lovely. Thank you :love:

Friends, Thank you for celebrating this milestone with us. I will read her your posts. I have a willow ball which she would love to destroy, yet will wait for her to stop shedding.

Last edited:
Aww, happy birthday, Heidi! Enjoy your teenage years with your very loving family. :love: She's so lucky that you found her at that county fair and gave her such a wonderful home. I'd love to see a photo of her as well. :love:

Heidi loves Fibafirst, yet no supplier was shipping to USA for months. I finally was able to order again from a reseller, so purchased two boxes, they weigh more than Heidi, and it took almost two months to arrive in USA from UK. They arrived a couple weeks ago and she is enjoying her belated x-mas/birthday present.

Heidi loves Fibafirst, yet no supplier was shipping to USA for months. I finally was able to order again from a reseller, so purchased two boxes, they weigh more than Heidi, and it took almost two months to arrive in USA from UK. They arrived a couple weeks ago and she is enjoying her belated x-mas/birthday present.

Well done for obtaining some for her :love:

Back