• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heidi and Dash's Bonding Diary *PICS ADDED*

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Been meaning to start this post for a couple weeks as a log of my bonding of Heidi and Dash. I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Sorry it is so long, I thank in advance anyone who reads it all!*
History (for those who don't know)...
Heidi: female, age approx 11months, spayed in July this year. Adopted from pets at home in July, she was territorial and difficult to handle, now a million times better, hoped to bond with my pair but didn't happen. So I got Dash, male, age approx 6m, neutered 1m ago, absolutely no territorial or adolescent behaviour from him, he's a star!! :love:
So this is what's happened so far...*
They've lived outside in hutches side by side. They've been in seperate runs near to eachother and there's been no negative behaviour. A couple of weekends back I decided to try them together (hoping for an easy bond :roll:) so I used a neutral space but it didn't go well. They sniffed eachother calmly then a fight just erupted and I couldn't tell who started it as there was no warning signs! I have since realised its def Heidi who instigates things! I had to seperate them so I put them in runs. I did a bit if reading up on different methods and the next day I decided to try alternating hutches each day so I started that. I then decided to try putting them together on top of one of the hutches so I could keep hold of Heidi. It went well, I did have to hold her close to me and I think it made her feel more secure. I'm convinced it is fear aggression, but she will nip him given the freedom! So iv been doing that every night for just over a week now and this is what's been happening: Dash is calm, will eat food I put there, hop around a little, come over to me and Heidi and try to instigate grooming or snuggling. However this makes Heidi nervous. She has tried to nip a few times, one time she had a grip and I couldn't get her off him! Thankfully it was just his fur and he was fine. So I have been trying to increase the time they spend together and also judge the mood as to how long to give it. I also try to end on a positive note so if she has had a try at nipping, I calm her again before I put them back in the hutches. I'm just doing a lot of reassuring her, constantly stroking her and telling her she's a good girl etc. and stroking Dash aswell of course! She does seem to be improving, she will allow him to get quite close and does sometimes try to nip but not every time now, but I do have to be very alert and ready to pull her back if she starts on him because if she gets him he will fight back so I can't let that happen. Last night it was going pretty well, managed about half an hour and they were nuzzling eachother on a few occasions, but let her for too long and she turns it into a nip. He actually came and attempted to groom her head but she seemed to freak out as if she thought something bad would happen and she pulled away and grunted. It's made me wonder of she's had a bad experience with another rabbit in the past. I don't know if she was 'old stock' or if she'd been returned.*
Right so this is where we r now...
Tonight - things started positively. Heidi didn't run off and hide for a start when I went to get her (which she started doing once she wised up to what was coming, so this is a good start!) She seemed quite a bit more relaxed tonight. She hopped around a bit and her ears were turning curiously rather than threatening or fearful. However she did try and get a few nips in when Dash hopped close enough! But they did touch faces a few times, I had to keep stroking Heidi, it seems as soon as I move away she tries to nip. Does anyone have any ideas what this behaviour means? Something else she does and did again tonight that I don't understand is she will nuzzle her head under his belly and be there for a few seconds, then suddenly nip him. She nuzzled for quite a while tonight and I thought ooh this is good but then she nipped him. He does absolutely nothing to provoke her, he just stays calm and still. I feel so bad for him and so mean! It's lucky he's like that tho, it would be impossible if he was the same as her!*
So now I would appreciate some opinions on whether things are going well. Any advice and encouragement appreciated!! Thank you very much*:wave:

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't really help you here, but hope that someone comes along soon with much more experience. All I can say (from my own experience) is that Boys are much more laid back than girls! :wave:
Hope someone comes along soon who can help.

Sounds like Donny and Lola :lol: Lola is very protective of Donny and I can stroke her easily (she is cuddly ...ish;) :lol:) but if I pull my hand away rather than remove my hand above she'll go for me. I was bitten the other week but it's usually a head butt. She doesn't like it if I'm standing between her and Donny so will attack shoes at that point! and if Donny is running around and spooks her she head butts him too :roll: :lol: She's been humping him recently and my dad told her to get off because he was eating hay.. so she humped his face :roll: he was still eating hay though! :lol:

Donny is such a laid back bunny he just takes it and couldn't care less, but he can give it as good as he gets! ..the fur in the shed the other day proved that! :roll: Fireworks :evil: .. Lola has always been a madam, she was always going to be the dominant one :)

So do u think it's all going ok at the moment? I have wondered whether trying them together again in a pen and letting them sort it out might work but I'm going to wait til I'm off work now. I'm off for 3wks over Xmas so going to stick to doing what I'm doing til then, although standing out in the cold with them for half an hr each night isn't much fun :roll:

Unfortunately I can't really help you here, but hope that someone comes along soon with much more experience. All I can say (from my own experience) is that Boys are much more laid back than girls! :wave:
Hope someone comes along soon who can help.

Thanks for ur reply :wave:

So do u think it's all going ok at the moment? I have wondered whether trying them together again in a pen and letting them sort it out might work but I'm going to wait til I'm off work now. I'm off for 3wks over Xmas so going to stick to doing what I'm doing til then, although standing out in the cold with them for half an hr each night isn't much fun :roll:

Why don't you wait until you're off? :) And in the mean time give them a blanket or something each and swap them every day so they get used to their scent :) if they fall out big time before then it might ruin any chance of a bond so might just be safer/easier to wait until those 3 weeks where you can watch them all the time and do it constantly :)

Why don't you wait until you're off? :) And in the mean time give them a blanket or something each and swap them every day so they get used to their scent :) if they fall out big time before then it might ruin any chance of a bond so might just be safer/easier to wait until those 3 weeks where you can watch them all the time and do it constantly :)

Yeah that's what I meant I'm going to wait :lol: I am just going to continue alternating hutches and having them on top of hutch together each night and in the runs when I can. I think I need to take it really slowly with them anyway, Heidi needs to build her trust in him. So much for an easy bond :roll: Hopefully will all be worth it in the end tho :thumb:

Yeah that's what I meant I'm going to wait :lol: I am just going to continue alternating hutches and having them on top of hutch together each night and in the runs when I can. I think I need to take it really slowly with them anyway, Heidi needs to build her trust in him. So much for an easy bond :roll: Hopefully will all be worth it in the end tho :thumb:

Ohhhhh :lol: good plan :lol::thumb:

Update help!!!

Well iv had a bit of a set back... Last night I skipped their date as it was absolutely awful weather, pouring down and gale force winds and I'd felt ill at work all afternoon so I left it last night. Tonight I did the top of hutch meeting again and all seemed ok, Heidi was a bit uneasy so I kept her close to me, but she was ok while I was stroking her. I did sense she was ready to nip although she kept her head quite close to Dash's while Dash munched away as usual! She then seemed to relax a bit more and hopped towards him, so, as I have been doing iv been cautiously allowing her to sniff him as she had been nuzzling. Anyway, tonight she did not nuzzle, she went straight for a nip and poor Dash SCREAMED :shock: I couldn't believe the noise came from a rabbit!! I grabbed her and she let go, Dash was understandably looking a bit scared but he soon hopped back over to the food dish!! Iv given him a good look over and can't see or feel any bite :roll: but why would he scream like that? Is this a massive setback? :( I feel like I'm being cruel to Dash. Part of me says forget it but part of me wants to persevere... Im wondering whether I should keep doing it but not allow her too near him for a while, keep her held back the whole time? But would this hinder any chance of bonding as maybe she'll then c him as something she has to stay away from. I am really losing my confidence :oops:

I would keep them totally separate until you have the time off, if they have a big fall out it could ruin any chance of them bonding. Just keep hutch swapping or blanket swapping but I wouldn't do any more dates/meets. When they're together in a small, neutral area for the longer period of time then it will be more of a 'then' thing rather than putting them together/meeting every evening :)

I would keep them totally separate until you have the time off, if they have a big fall out it could ruin any chance of them bonding. Just keep hutch swapping or blanket swapping but I wouldn't do any more dates/meets. When they're together in a small, neutral area for the longer period of time then it will be more of a 'then' thing rather than putting them together/meeting every evening :)

The thing is I can't do the bonding inside where I keep them together. My thoughts was to put them in a pen in the kitchen where I can leave the back doors open so it's cooler and they could stay there all day (if it gets that far!!) I'm just worried that as soon as I try they're just going to fight. How do I know what is sorting out dominance and what is going to turn nasty?

The thing is I can't do the bonding inside where I keep them together. My thoughts was to put them in a pen in the kitchen where I can leave the back doors open so it's cooler and they could stay there all day (if it gets that far!!) I'm just worried that as soon as I try they're just going to fight. How do I know what is sorting out dominance and what is going to turn nasty?

Fur flying is usually a fight :) and dominance could be humping and chasing, it's just trying to figure out which is a chase heading to a fight and which is heading to them sorting it out themselves :)

Fur flying is usually a fight :) and dominance could be humping and chasing, it's just trying to figure out which is a chase heading to a fight and which is heading to them sorting it out themselves :)

Yep that's what's worrying me :shock: They won't be able to fight on the hutch btw cos I am always right there ready to get Heidi away but the nips r so quick I never know if she's going to nip or not! Hopefully they can go in runs tomorrow so il c how they r with eachother. It's so hard!! Thanks for ur help :wave:

Update - pics

They had a break from eachother on Saturday but today they went out in the runs and all was ok. They then had a hutch-top date :lol: Since it was in daylight for a change I managed to take a few pics. I kept it short today so Heidi didn't get a chance to nip but she did try, I had to pull her back at one point. And Dash wasn't his usual quiet self - he got in a couple of strong foot stomps complete with grunts! I think he has decided he isn't going to be walked all over by no woman-bun :lol:

Mmm I do like mint...
89F1F2F2-AF5B-4397-9067-02563BF48EEC-10874-00000C16DCC4DE8E.jpg

But I shalt not eat in the presence of that boy bunny...
12D39520-C15C-45A9-8A72-ADF33E7938FC-10874-00000C16E87E2AC8.jpg

But Dash will eat in front of anyone!
7CED04A1-AF54-4EE3-BD73-513134AD3D1E-10874-00000C16EFE4FE81.jpg

4BA2B69A-72AC-432D-BBA1-87A53478D14B-10874-00000C16FB3C3041.jpg

3362A82A-EF95-4FAF-B1BF-E67606F5A29D-10874-00000C1707B86369.jpg

2085BC06-8AD2-4990-993E-BA93072A15C2-10874-00000C1716AFAC89.jpg

11451873-A437-4D2D-9E31-40184FBA0494-10874-00000C1724142EAD.jpg

E65EC771-B21B-46A8-89E2-5203D1351E69-10874-00000C175597460C.jpg

AE65D088-36C3-4B49-894B-3A39EEFF42FE-10874-00000C174F817149.jpg

They would make such a lovely couple but not getting my hopes up, it's going to be a long process and still may not work... :roll:

Back