• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heavy moult/blue ears UPDATE: post 24 encouragement please?

Can you hear good gut sounds ?

As he is eating and pooing and the tooth grinding has stopped I would try to hold off on the metaclopromide for now.

What other medication is he on at the moment ?

Could the tooth grinding be Dental related ?

He takes the simethicone for gas and twice daily metacam for his spondylosis; 0.25 ml x 2 which is the highest my vet will let me go with it.

I have no stethoscope so I can't say for sure how his gut sounds. :(

He is a dental bun but my vet has warned me that due to his head tilt he may not survive a GA. He was due to have his teeth burred just as he got sick in June.

He has stopped the grinding but as I have an appointment in town this afternoon needless to say I am concerned this does not begin again while I am gone. My daughter will be watching him but is not as comfortable and familiar with either handling or medicating the rabbits as I am. :( He will receive his metacam and metaclop before I leave.

I've hardly slept over the last week as my son had his wisdom teeth out and nursing him back from that was a 24 hr a day chore. My stress level is high and I'm easily set on edge. Got a blinding headache beginning right behind my left eye. >_<
Sorry to whinge...I just want something to go right with Mimzy instead of wonky for awhile. :cry:

I can presume he has no blockage or bloat if he keeps eating, yes?

Continuing to struggle with metaclop reduction

I know we're only a few days into this but I'm extremely frustrated. Upon trying to stop Mimzy's dosages from 1 ml twice a day to 0.5 ml twice a day his eliminations dropped off immediately to almost nil. The tooth grinding episode about put me in my grave, I was so terrified he was bloating, so took him back up to 0.8 ml twice a day. Today 0.7 ml twice and again his output is poor, his ears are back to being blue when they'd all but cleared up and of course his fur is not going to recover till he's off this stuff.
I am really concerned with his appetite. It's almost exclusively greens...he is near to completely shunning his hay again. I can't tell if it's his teeth or not as he'll quaff pellets and hay cupcakes but I've run out of dried willow and it will be at least a week till I have more. That is something he seems to be jonesin' for.

His energy level is back to very low. When I see him sleeping with his up eye shut it scares me to death and I have to hold my breath while I make sure he's still taking one.

Somebody please tell me I can get him through this alive. He looks so pitifully thin without his full coat and sometimes his skin feels so warm I worry he's got a new infection. He still has some sparkle left in his eyes and lots of disapproval for grooming times, but I wonder how long he can go on like this?

We just had our dog, Ebon, in the vets again today for ER surgery as she'd swallowed foxtails and needed them removed. Another huge medical bill and still no insurance for the pets or us. I don't know what's lower...my bank balance or my coping skills. :(

I hope that light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train! :shock:

It is really hard to offer advice re Mimz as I am not entirely sure what is going on for him now. Whilst you have read about the possible side effects of Metaclopromide, the symptoms Mimz is displaying also fit with heart disease amongst other things.

A hands on examination really would provide more information, but I fully understand the difficulty of you situation re getting him to a Vet, one who is reasonably Rabbit Savvy. Also the stress that travelling may cause him.

However,I honestly feel that getting him examined again ASAP would be your best option as at the moment there are symptoms presenting which could be due to many things, all of which would require a different approach re treatment.

I do hope that things become more manageable for you soon xx

Of course you're right, Jane. And yes, I do want him seen. The vet who is more rabbit savvy will be in some time after Monday I believe and I hope to try to get him in. I am far out of my depth here. It will be very precarious travel and he has not had to be moved this distance for some months now.

Pending that nothing cardiovascular is found to be wrong, if he were your bunny and the vet said he needed a dental, would you risk it? Keeping in mind of course that in your heart you sometimes wonder if the vet is concentrating more on the fee than the patient (but that being your opinion, not necessarily a fact).
Have you ever heard of a head tilt bunny living through such a procedure? I know he could pass from surgery even if he were healthy and if he did pass I could presume he was ready to go...part of me could accept that. Part of me would be cursing myself for not being more protective of him.
This morning his ears look better and he is alert and stroppy, digging at his frozen water bottle like ringing a dinner bell...and I, as staff, must attend immediately if not sooner. :) He received his metacam and a few sprigs of mint which he happily gobbled up.
He's eaten hay...was eating as I rose this morning ...I try not to disturb him while I hear munching because he stops and looks for a fuss if he sees me. :roll:

I don't notice too much slippage of his jaw but I know gravity must be working on it. I do wish I had an otoscope and could take a peek in there. I imagine if he does have hooks they'd be visible even to an upright blue dummy like me!

Ironically, he'd need to stay on metaclopromide after a dental which is very thing I'm trying to get him off of. :(
I just hope that by using it so long no permanent damage has been done. There is some evidence in human trials to suggest neurological involvement that does not resolve upon withdrawal of the drug. :( Facial tics and whatnot.

I was stunned seeing about an eighth inch of fresh snow on the ground after finishing cleaning up last night. Not unexpected...just unwanted. This will definitely add to the stress of the road in. When we moved here almost 18 years ago now I did not anticipate having to drive a convalescing rabbit the thirty miles over bumps and potholes and twisties to see a doctor. My nerves are doing a mambo.

I would note that barring the difficulty he had restarting his gut after I dropped his dose to 0.5 mls x 2 he was a brighter bunny. I only feared that we'd put the brakes on too fast...but I REALLY want him off this stuff. It does seem to slow him down enough that gas builds up quickly which to me means fermenting stomach contents. I do know what that can do. Perhaps the greens just didn't agree with him. Either way we're trying 0.6 mls x 2 today. I got him some fresh sage and rosemary as well to tempt him to keep eating. But I know he misses his long grasses and dandelion fresh from the yard. Stupid snow. :evil:

I'm sorry to moan about all this. I'm just tired and when I get tired I need someone else to give me outside perspective to be sure I'm not just prolonging the inevitable or if I just need a kick up the butt to get back to my job.That he is showing me a happy bunny face today means a lot. We had quite a chase last night to get his falling hair off before he swallowed it. Probably the most exercise he's had in a few days. He was breathing pretty fast but as soon as he got a little cooler air (it was too hot inside due to the heat being up too high) and a little wipe down with a cool cloth and his freeze bottle he was feeling calmer. At one point he wrapped himself around my ankle and rested his head on my foot while I finished combing him out. I stopped to stroke his face and he puddled and purred.
I love this little guy so much! :love:

We'll keep working on it. I know if he is having heart issues that there may be the possibility of new medication to keep him comfortable. I just don't want to keep him hanging on longer than is quality of life, and also not send him on his way if there is reasonable hope of recovery. This is a bun who still very much has fight in him, but I want more than just fight FOR him.

Thank you both for posting. Sometimes just knowing someone else who understands is out there helps keep me going when I just want to stop. ((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Okay...whinge over. Please return to your regularly scheduled bunny foruming. ;)

I totally understand how physically and emotionally draining it can be caring for a chronically sick Rabbit ((((((((Hugs)))))))))

One of the VNs at my Vets had a Bun with a profound headtilt. He came to her as a stray and she had him for many years despite him needing Dentals under GA ever 6-8 weeks. He lived with a group of Rabbits and he was so happy. His Dental problems were partly due to his permanent headtilt as he obviously chewed on the downside of his jaw thus leading to a malocclusion.

So I do think it is possible that Mimz needs his teeth sorting out. Perhaps the Vet could run some blood tests too, these should provide some information about his major organ function.

Obviously a GA will be a risk, but if he needs Dental treatment it may be one that has to be taken.

I wish I could be of more help and I do hope my posts dont just read as 'take him to a Vet'. I know that your situation is complex and getting him to a Vet is a major ordeal as far as the journey goes because of your geographical location. Then to not feel that you have much confidence in the Vet must make things even more stressful for you.

I hope Mimz is doing OK within himself at the moment xx

Back