• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you ever changed the name of your bunny?

Yes Rosie was originally 'Thumpy' at her old owners because she thumped a lot. Soon as she was out of a small hutch she stopped thumping so she became Rosie. I'm not sure if she knows her name or just comes running in the hope of treats? I suspect the latter.
I only change names if I think they're not right for the animal so Fiver kept his original name.

Tinker changed to Tinkerbell when I found out she was a girl but not much of a difference and she still got called Tinker or Tink a lot!

Hector used to be Nibbles but I didn't think it suited him and he didn't even nibble :lol:

I didn't change Poppy's because I love the name and always wanted a Poppy but it had never worked out, I'd had bad luck with the name but third time lucky I had my Poppy! :)

Primrose was Catelyn, but as I have a friend called Caitlin, it seemed a bit strange calling her that. :lol: It took me ages to decide on a name and she went through a few different names the first week she came to me!

Mischief, Jasper, Blossom and Theo didn't have names when I took them on so I named them myself and they stayed the same. :)

Well, Hugh responds to his name but I always say it in the exact same way. I always call him 'Hughey come' and he hops over to investigate if I have treats. I'm pretty sure if I said 'Wibbly sum' in the exact same tone he'd still come running :lol:

I actually tested this with Humphrey. :oops: he only came when I actually said his name, not nonsense. I was impressed!

Scrappy was the name her original owner gave her and I've kept it as it kind of felt "wrong" to call her anything else, even though it's not a name I would ever have chosen myself. Having said that, more often than not I call her by a nickname. I started off calling her Scrappy Doo, which became Scrappy Doodle and has now evolved to Doodle Bug. She's never really responded to any of them :lol:

Harvey had no name before I got him, I chose his name when I got him (took me about 3 hours solid of name searching and list making :lol:) and didn't change it ever

Lilly was called Tigerlilly by her previous owner and nicknamed Tiger (she has tiger stripes!) and the lady was sad to be giving her up (her stupid friends got her a rabbit as a birthday present without knowing she was allergic, they just knew she loved animals so thought it was appropriate) so I said I'd keep her name, but I already had had a hamster called Tigerlilly nicknamed Tiger so I named her Lilly which is short for her "official" name of Tigerlilly :p

Arthur was called Fred Flinstone at rescue and my family and friends all wanted me to keep that name! But I thought Arthur suited him so well and as soon as I thought of the name Arthur that was it! I knew he was going to be Arthur almost as soon as I had him reserved :lol:

Lilly is the only one of my bunnies to know her name though! She also knows the words dinner, treat, herbs, you're such a pretty girl yes you are, kissing noises and cuddles so I could probably comfortably rename her all of those words :lol: or I could just rename her and I'd know she'd get the hang of it! But I'm not going to rename her as I LOVE the name Lilly (kind of wish I'd saved it for when I have children now I like it so much!) and I think it suits her because she's beautiful like the flower :love:

When we got Archie, that was his name and it suited him so we kept it. He was Arch as a nickname and Archibald when he had done something wrong. My cheeky wee Scotsman so Archie was fitting!!

Yes, Gatsby was originally Casper as he arrived at the rescue centre around Halloween. We decided he looked far too dignified and needed a grander name..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tully was Tulip (rescue name) for a year before we found out he was a boy.
Kyla was Kylie at the rescue but I knew she'd only had that name for a few weeks and just couldn't stick her with it forever. I would generally keep their rescue name unless it really grated.

Mine had little nicknames like Spot, but when I got my girls I changed their names to something a little more creative. :D

Neither of mine had names, but no, I didn't even change molly's name when he turned out to be a boy and he'd only been molly a few days.

I LOVE his name! The closest I could get to anything Hobbit related was Alfrid :lol: even though he's a horrible character only in the films!

I think Alfrid is a lovely name... Not such a lovely character in the film, obviously! :lol: I also have Thorin the hamster :thumb:

Milly was Maisey at the rescue but it didn't seem to suit her,Harry was Mickey which wasn't quite right either.Casper was Bubble which again didn't suit.I kept Harriets rescue name tho.It suited her exactly and I was originally going to bond her with Harry so that seemed to fit-although Harriet decided she didn't like him anyway:roll:
I kept Stars rescue name.It wouldn't have been my choice but she was given that name as she was a little star trying to keep her kits alive despite being fed very little and living in a tiny filthy hutch before being rescued from a back yard breeder so the name seems apt.

Last edited:
No, Harry wouldn't have been my choice of name but I kept it. I did add a middle name though and of course he took my surname!

I did. The rescue called them Mummy and Baby. Think mummy had been called Floppy or Flopsy by the previous owner but the rescue wasn't sure.
Think George would be offended if I still called him Baby now that he's three! :)

Yeh I changed mine. They were called Tom and Gerry but then it turned out they weren't boys so the RSPCA called them Thomasina and Geri when they booked them in for their spay! They were less than 6 months old when I got them and they didn't know their names so I changed them. I asked for suggestions on my Facebook and my friend posted that his 5 year old daughter said Milly and Molly. I liked them but I thought they were a bit too similar names so I settled on Millie and Maddie with an 'ie' spelling because I think it looks nicer! They still don't know their names really. They come when I call "what's this? " as it means food! :lol:

Last edited:
Back