• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone experienced a bun surviving Mixi ?

Oh no :( its so scary isn't it xx It has been a week now since we first noticed and Thursday he started treatment. His breathing is still laboured but he has left the hay box more today and is starting to fight more when I give him meds. He is still eating from hands and by himself and drinking. There has been several moments when I have thought are we doing the right thing.. but we are seeing teeny tiny bunny hops in the right direction. I managed to wipe his eyes today. His nose is quite bunged up and I tried to wipe that with a damp bit of kit roll... He let me know in no uncertain terms that was not happening.

I found he will tolerate me picking at the excess though very gently and slowly with my nail ... Hope your bunny makes progress xx it is v worrying xx

Not nice at all to see them that way! I have been on video chat to Clover and she looks awful, although does appear quite bright in herself. She was confining herself to her hay box too for the first few days, but since it has been a bit cooler and more overcast she has been out a bit more.

As awful as it is seeing them that way, I feel like they would want to battle through it if there was a chance of another year or two of a happy bunny life. The fact that your bun is putting up a fight is definitely a good sign.

It sounds like Clover doesn't really have respiratory signs and her nose is puffy and sore looking, but not discharging as such, she is just weeping from her eyes.

Hopefully they both show this nasty who is the boss and beat it! xxx

Not nice at all to see them that way! I have been on video chat to Clover and she looks awful, although does appear quite bright in herself. She was confining herself to her hay box too for the first few days, but since it has been a bit cooler and more overcast she has been out a bit more.

As awful as it is seeing them that way, I feel like they would want to battle through it if there was a chance of another year or two of a happy bunny life. The fact that your bun is putting up a fight is definitely a good sign.

It sounds like Clover doesn't really have respiratory signs and her nose is puffy and sore looking, but not discharging as such, she is just weeping from her eyes.

Hopefully they both show this nasty who is the boss and beat it! xxx

How is clover ? Fluff had his eyes and nose cleaned up at the vets today so he is most peeved at me ,

As Binky was feeling leftout she decided it was time for a dental so had to take her in today ! ... honestly I have my own chair in the waiting room !

How is clover ? Fluff had his eyes and nose cleaned up at the vets today so he is most peeved at me ,

As Binky was feeling leftout she decided it was time for a dental so had to take her in today ! ... honestly I have my own chair in the waiting room !

Oh God I know that feeling all too well :roll:

Continued vibes for Fluff and adding a few in for Binky xx

Oh God I know that feeling all too well :roll:

Continued vibes for Fluff and adding a few in for Binky xx

I know all the vets, nurses and receptionists .... and they know me..snort,, I facepaint for them at xmas for their party. The money goes straight to my account which is a god send come Feb when Binky has her regular dental :lol:

I know all the vets, nurses and receptionists .... and they know me..snort,, I facepaint for them at xmas for their party. The money goes straight to my account which is a god send come Feb when Binky has her regular dental :lol:

What a wonderful idea! Great for the vet and great for you :D

I just got the OK from my research supervisor to leave a week early so that I could come home and nurse her, as she hasn't eaten anything since Friday and my mum and her partner were struggling to syringe feed her. She is pretty ill! Obviously last night is the first time I have seen her in person (so to speak) since she has been poorly and she does look terrible. Her mouth, nose and genitals are still very swollen two weeks in and she is quite snuffly with mucus. Still drinking herself, but I can't persuade her to eat anything, so I just syringe feeding her rescue plus every few hours - having to have her sort of sat up on her bum, because it is difficult to even see where her mouth is with it being so swollen. She is on oral baytril and metacam (switched from the injectable form last wednesday) and I have just gotten her some bisolvon too, so hopefully that will help with her snuffliness. Trying to keep her warm, but she is refusing to sit in the lovely hot water bottle fleece blanket bed I have made for her! Also tried to get her to sit over a steaming bowl of water this morning, but she kept trying to drink it or moved away... she is not helping herself! But on the plus side she is still enjoying ear tickles (tooth purring), grooming herself and fighting back when we are giving her meds/syringe feeding her.

Anyone got anything else to suggest?! My hope is that if we can support her nutritionally and prevent her getting any secondary infections until the swelling goes down and she can eat herself again, then she should be able to pull through, but I guess this could take weeks and I am worried as I am going on holiday at the weekend and it is too much to expect my mum to struggle on with her. Also, she has gone from 2.2kg to 1.2kg in the last two weeks :(

How is Fluff getting on signs/recovery-wise?

I just got the OK from my research supervisor to leave a week early so that I could come home and nurse her, as she hasn't eaten anything since Friday and my mum and her partner were struggling to syringe feed her. She is pretty ill! Obviously last night is the first time I have seen her in person (so to speak) since she has been poorly and she does look terrible. Her mouth, nose and genitals are still very swollen two weeks in and she is quite snuffly with mucus. Still drinking herself, but I can't persuade her to eat anything, so I just syringe feeding her rescue plus every few hours - having to have her sort of sat up on her bum, because it is difficult to even see where her mouth is with it being so swollen. She is on oral baytril and metacam (switched from the injectable form last wednesday) and I have just gotten her some bisolvon too, so hopefully that will help with her snuffliness. Trying to keep her warm, but she is refusing to sit in the lovely hot water bottle fleece blanket bed I have made for her! Also tried to get her to sit over a steaming bowl of water this morning, but she kept trying to drink it or moved away... she is not helping herself! But on the plus side she is still enjoying ear tickles (tooth purring), grooming herself and fighting back when we are giving her meds/syringe feeding her.

Anyone got anything else to suggest?! My hope is that if we can support her nutritionally and prevent her getting any secondary infections until the swelling goes down and she can eat herself again, then she should be able to pull through, but I guess this could take weeks and I am worried as I am going on holiday at the weekend and it is too much to expect my mum to struggle on with her. Also, she has gone from 2.2kg to 1.2kg in the last two weeks :(

Sorry, I haven't seen many details of how your little one has been progressing. Was she vaccinated? What did the vet say about her respiratory infection? Do you know where it is? That's quite a lot of weight to have lost over a short space of time :(

I think you are doing all the right things in your looking after her at home. You are right in thinking that it would be a secondary infection or not receiving enough nutrition that would kill her, not the virus itself (although that looks very distressing).

Having been in a similar position as you and nursed my rabbit through this, I would strongly recommend that you discuss with your vet the possibility of her having Penicillin injections, rather than the oral Bayril. The Penicillin tends to have a greater effect.

Sending loads of vibes for your little one. What's her name?

ETA Sorry I've just seen her name is Clover.

Last edited:
Sorry, I haven't seen many details of how your little one has been progressing. Was she vaccinated? What did the vet say about her respiratory infection? Do you know where it is? That's quite a lot of weight to have lost over a short space of time :(

I think you are doing all the right things in your looking after her at home. You are right in thinking that it would be a secondary infection or not receiving enough nutrition that would kill her, not the virus itself (although that looks very distressing).

Having been in a similar position as you and nursed my rabbit through this, I would strongly recommend that you discuss with your vet the possibility of her having Penicillin injections, rather than the oral Bayril. The Penicillin tends to have a greater effect.

Sending loads of vibes for your little one. What's her name?

ETA Sorry I've just seen her name is Clover.

Hi Omi,

Yes, she is vaccinated, has been for the last four years and only just had her booster in June, so really unlucky that she has caught a strain that the vaccine hasn't been effective against!

I'm not sure it is a respiratory infection as such, the vet didn't seem terribly concerned about it and as she is on the bisolvon and antibiotics already, not an awful lot more we can do regardless. Her breathing is actually much better this evening after being relatively bad this afternoon. I have bought some tea tree oil this afternoon, so have that in a bowl just outside her cage in some hot water to help with her breathing.

I did discuss whether Baytril was the best antibiotic option, but this vet agreed with the previous one that I saw that Baytril is safest, due to the fact that Penicillin can put rabbits at risk of intestinal problems, as the Penicillin kills off the normal GI flora. I don't really want to risk this with her not eating very well, which will be compromising her gut as it is... I have read a lot of other people have had success with Penicillin though! So I guess it can work. We have upped her Baytril dose to the top end of the dose range though, as for some reason the other vet practice only prescribed her a dose that was less than half the maximum that she can have. So hopefully the Baytril will do the job!

Thank you for your support :) And yes, Clover! Sadly her namesake (the clover shaped white spot on the end of her nose) is not very visible currently with her swollen nose! We did have success tonight though, she ate (with some coersion) for the first time since Saturday morning - a few pieces of carrot, apple and red chard (her fave!). So fingers crossed that we are making progress.

Morning All,

Sorry to say that I had to let Fluff go yesterday, he went downhill quite quickly and his breathing started to get worse again. His eyes had improved a tiny bit but his nose had not . The main problem was his mouth he had been eating but bouncing his mouth off and tilting his head to get at things in the most comfortable way. He looked so sad and unhappy and whilst encouraging him to eat he just looked at me and seemed to say enough .

The vet ... a new one at our practice saw him yesterday she had seen him several times discussed various options and there was the option of admitting him and starting penicillin injections and fluids and syringe feeding but he was so tired and his mouth so sore I had promised him to let him go when he had enough.

Obvuiously now I wish I had gone down the route of treatment, but deep down I know he had enough. I will always think should have we done the daily injections ... what if ...

Cant do that though as will send myself crazy.

Thank you for all your support and advice it was all really usefull ...

Lisa x

Oh I'm so very sorry to hear this :-( please don't beat yourself up - I'm sure you made absolutely the right decision. It's such an awful disease so if he was really struggling and you felt he'd had enough, any further treatment would probably have just prolonged that. Biggest of hugs X X

I am so sorry you had to let Fluff go :cry: It is really so difficult to decide how they are really feeling with Myx and of course in many cases they look pretty distressing as well.

You are the one who knew Fluff best and with helpful discussion with your vet, you will have been the one who was best placed to make that decision. I'm so sorry he didn't make it.

Morning All,

Sorry to say that I had to let Fluff go yesterday, he went downhill quite quickly and his breathing started to get worse again. His eyes had improved a tiny bit but his nose had not . The main problem was his mouth he had been eating but bouncing his mouth off and tilting his head to get at things in the most comfortable way. He looked so sad and unhappy and whilst encouraging him to eat he just looked at me and seemed to say enough .

The vet ... a new one at our practice saw him yesterday she had seen him several times discussed various options and there was the option of admitting him and starting penicillin injections and fluids and syringe feeding but he was so tired and his mouth so sore I had promised him to let him go when he had enough.

Obvuiously now I wish I had gone down the route of treatment, but deep down I know he had enough. I will always think should have we done the daily injections ... what if ...

Cant do that though as will send myself crazy.

Thank you for all your support and advice it was all really usefull ...

Lisa x

Oh I'm so very sorry to hear this :cry:

What ifs are terrible things. I had to take a bunny to be PTS today and the what ifs and guilt plague you. But deep down you know you did the right thing xx

Sending hugs xx

Oh I'm so very sorry to hear this :cry:

What ifs are terrible things. I had to take a bunny to be PTS today and the what ifs and guilt plague you. But deep down you know you did the right thing xx

Sending hugs xx

we buried Fluff this evening ..... with his fav treats and some hay.

I swear his eyes looked less swollen...

am now thinking I let him go to soon I should have admitted him ..... poor binky looks so lost without him ..... cannot stop crying when the kids are not with me...

Sorry that you had to take a bun today .... that is such a hard thing to do.... ive had enough adulating for now.

I just got the OK from my research supervisor to leave a week early so that I could come home and nurse her, as she hasn't eaten anything since Friday and my mum and her partner were struggling to syringe feed her. She is pretty ill! Obviously last night is the first time I have seen her in person (so to speak) since she has been poorly and she does look terrible. Her mouth, nose and genitals are still very swollen two weeks in and she is quite snuffly with mucus. Still drinking herself, but I can't persuade her to eat anything, so I just syringe feeding her rescue plus every few hours - having to have her sort of sat up on her bum, because it is difficult to even see where her mouth is with it being so swollen. She is on oral baytril and metacam (switched from the injectable form last wednesday) and I have just gotten her some bisolvon too, so hopefully that will help with her snuffliness. Trying to keep her warm, but she is refusing to sit in the lovely hot water bottle fleece blanket bed I have made for her! Also tried to get her to sit over a steaming bowl of water this morning, but she kept trying to drink it or moved away... she is not helping herself! But on the plus side she is still
enjoying ear tickles (tooth purring), grooming herself and fighting back when we are giving her meds/syringe feeding her.

How is Clover doing ?? xx

we buried Fluff this evening ..... with his fav treats and some hay.

I swear his eyes looked less swollen...

am now thinking I let him go to soon I should have admitted him ..... poor binky looks so lost without him ..... cannot stop crying when the kids are not with me...

Sorry that you had to take a bun today .... that is such a hard thing to do.... ive had enough adulating for now.

It's a very very hard thing to do :cry:

Harder still is not to blame ourselves afterwards. To wonder whether we could've given them another chance. To rewrite history. I've been doing that all day today as well.

But we did the right thing as we saw it at the time. We can't do better than that.

Sending loads of hugs xx

Back