• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harley losing weight? U/D Binky free my special boy x

Sooz22 said:
I just feel awful about putting you and Jen through this. If Id only known how close his time was I would have kept him here with me. :cry: :cry:

Aww, Sooz, please don't feel like that. You shouldn't feel bad at all. As I've said on the other forum, I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to know Harley and to see him loved up with Jen. He was a wonderful bun and I'm glad I was able to contribute to making the last five months comfortable and happy for him. He went to bridge knowing that humans can be kind and enjoying the companionship of another rabbit x

I know exactly what you are going through - Cosmos went in pretty much the same way - he too had been treated for suspected Ec about six months before his death but then started losing weight despite eating normally and when his bloods were taken he was found to have kidney problems and be severely dehydrated - he also didn't make it.

I am actually wondering if it is EC itself or the treatment for it that causes the damage?

Caz

EC is known to cause renal damage if its not treated and Harley suffered for months if not years with out help. It appears the damage was done before we started treatment...we just didnt know it :(

I'm sorry that you lost Cosmos too Caz :(

When Harley was admitted last night I spend a while going through threads on here and searching the Internet and I came to the conclusion that Harley's condition was most likely a result of the EC. We have no idea how long he suffered before he went to Sooz, but as he was completely blind from it I imagine it was a while :cry:

Is there anything else I can do to help Jen? I'll take Harley to her and let her see him in their hutch but once I take him away again, is their anything I can do then to help my girl? :( x

Apart from spending as much time with her as you can I think she will just need to grieve like we do.

Apparently once she hops away from Harley you can remove him but she needs to say her goodbyes. :cry:

Apart from spending as much time with her as you can I think she will just need to grieve like we do.

Apparently once she hops away from the Harley you can remove him but she needs to say her goodbyes.

Oh how sad :cry: :cry: :( :( ...
I hope Jen copes okay bless her..

So sorry to hear about Harley, binky free little one. I hope Jen copes ok, sending hugs to you x

Thank you everyone. I'm going to collect Harley in a moment and let Jen see him. I'm just going to pop him in the hutch and let her go to him - argh, it's going to be so sad :cry: :cry:

I'll let you all know how she is doing later this evening. Thank you all again for your kindness x

I am so very sorry :cry:
Harley was obviously very tired and realised he had found safety and love with you and that you would always be there for him. He felt so loved and so no longer needed to force his tired body on.

Binkey Free Harley

Janex

I've been out all day and didn't know what had happened till Karen texted me. So sorry. Thinking of you

Back