• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harley losing weight? U/D Binky free my special boy x

I am really sorry to hear about Harley :cry:
Even if his blood results are not good if he is not in pain and is eating and not depressed then maybe he could still enjoy a few weeks of TLC.

These Bunnies bring joy but OMG do they bring heartache too..... :cry:

Janex

Still no news from the vet. They didn't ring last night so I assume that they weren't able to get a blood sample from Harley :(

The surgery opens at 9am so I'm going to ring then and see how he was overnight and whether or not they have the blood profile.

Thank you all for your wishes and vibes... it's so appreciated and I feel greatly blessed to have such understanding bunny friends around me. I can't even begin to say how much it helps to be able to post on here and talk to people who have had similar experiences and know how wonderful - but fragile - rabbits are :cry:

Jen is doing OK this morning. She had eaten all of her pellets during the night and is drinking and poo'ing normally. I do wonder if I should have pushed for her to stay with Harley overnight, but the vet was adamant that she needed to see exactly what Harley was eating, drinking and producing in terms of wee and poo. Will the bond be OK though, if he does come home tonight?

I should have some more news in an hour or so.. :(

Tracie x

Seen as she has showed some signs of missing him I think they will be OK.

Poor Harley, hes such a brave boy, its so unfair that he has been through so much only to find a great home and wonderful bunny friend and now have this happen.

If I ever found his owners I would string them up after what they have put him through. If they had done the right thing at the start instead of letting him fester and had him treated or surrendered him to a rescue he would probably be OK now.

I feel totally sick to my stomach, me and Harley went through a lot together while he was here and he will always be special to me. I know you know what I mean Tracie, Im quite sure he has stolen your heart too. :cry:

Harley died at about 9am this morning.

He seemed to perk up late last night and was eating fine, but drinking a lot. Overnight his condition deteriorated rapidly and his breathing was noisy and laboured. The vet said he began very distressed whenever they tried to take blood from him.

Sooz, I'm so sorry. I really tried my best for him. Harley was such a special bun and he was so brave - it seems so cruel to lose him after he'd been through so much.

Binky free Harley. I'll never forget you. I'm absolutely heartbroken.

I am really sorry to hear your rabbit is ill, but please do not give up on him, he is not old at all, rabbits can live 10-12 years (someone I know recently lost one of her rabbits at 14). I would also insist your vets tested him for EC, at least this way you know either way and can get on with the treatment if it is EC.

This is not nice to say, but if he does die at the vets please make sure you bring his body home and show it to Jen so she can understand. It will take her a lot longer to get over if she is still waiting for him to come home and may make her unwilling to easily except the company of another rabbit in the future.

It was EC and he was treated for it by us but because his former owners left him to suffer for so long the damage was done to his sight and now also obviously his renal system.

I know you did everything you could for him Tracie, we both did. I feel sorry for Jen, now shes back on her own again. :cry:

Oh no, I am so so sorry to hear this news :cry: I had been following your story of Harley. I am pleased that he found a loving forever home and a lovely bunny companion before passing to the bridge. Binky free Harley. :cry:

So sorry, I must have been posting at the same time as you. Just remember when you take on a rescue rabbit you have given them more than they have ever had before, you showed them what a good life is like.

I know, it makes me angry too - why didn't they just hand him over to a rescue or someone who would have cared for him when he needed it :(

I'm bringing him home soon. I will take him to Jen - thank you, I didn't realise that I would need to do that for her. I hope she's going to be OK.

If he had survived I really would have tried anything I could to help him, the money wouldn't have been a problem and I would have happily taken him to another vet if neccessary. I just can't believe it. He was eating and drinking right up to last night and the vet said he seemed to pick up. I guess he was just too tired and weary by this morning. She said his respiratory system was struggling too so I guess it was just his time :(

Sooz, you did so much for him and I am so grateful to you for trusting me to take care of your special bun, even if it was just to be for a short time.

I just feel awful about putting you and Jen through this. If Id only known how close his time was I would have kept him here with me. :cry: :cry:

Back