• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hagrids limping - vet call hip displasia

JCO said:
Any news as to when your big bun Hagrid can come home..?? Eve, do you get Rabbiting On Magazine? In the recent issue (Winter 2005) There is some dietry advice for buns who have sustained a fracture. I'll TRY and scan it :? :? then post it :? . But you know me and my computer skills... :D PLEASE let us have a progress report on Hagrid. Perhaps a major win on the Lottery for you is needed...!! Jane and Buns xx

if you could scan it i would be very grateful jane! thanks

no news yet! will let u know.

lottery win would be very good right now, i my daughter b/day is on monday and i still have xmas leftwhich i havent even thought about yet and we were decorating our front room for the first time and that money was for my new floor, which isnt coming now.. i jsut didnt need to spend a £1000 at the vets a month before xmas! :cry: it wouldnt be so bad if they were both still here but backs is not! :wink:

bunnylove said:
JCO said:
Any news as to when your big bun Hagrid can come home..?? Eve, do you get Rabbiting On Magazine? In the recent issue (Winter 2005) There is some dietry advice for buns who have sustained a fracture. I'll TRY and scan it :? :? then post it :? . But you know me and my computer skills... :D PLEASE let us have a progress report on Hagrid. Perhaps a major win on the Lottery for you is needed...!! Jane and Buns xx

lottery win would be very good right now, i my daughter b/day is on monday and i still have xmas leftwhich i havent even thought about yet and we were decorating our front room for the first time and that money was for my new floor, which isnt coming now.. i jsut didnt need to spend a £1000 at the vets a month before xmas! :cry: it wouldnt be so bad if they were both still here but backs is not! :wink:

Oh mate I'm not even going to pretend I know how you feel, because I don't. But Buster killed all my savings getting his eyes right, bloomin bunnies the know how to worry us.

SOAD said:
bunnylove said:
JCO said:

Oh mate I'm not even going to pretend I know how you feel, because I don't. But Buster killed all my savings getting his eyes right, bloomin bunnies the know how to worry us.

its more of a shock to me really tree, the money isnt an issue where it means spending it on him although its an awlful lot and i havent got it!
its more about the fact that he has hip dypasia and arthritus through bad breeding that pisses me :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

bunnylove said:
SOAD said:
bunnylove said:
JCO said:

its more of a shock to me really tree, the money isnt an issue where it means spending it on him although its an awlful lot and i havent got it!
its more about the fact that he has hip dypasia and arthritus through bad breeding that pisses me :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Yeah it's not on people are ********.

This is probably a thought to put on hold 'til Hagrid is home and on the mend. :? Eve said that the RSPCA were notified re the b***** breeder and that call will have been logged and recorded. So given what has now happened maybe another contact to the RSPCA IN WRITING including a letter from Hagrids vet detailing her findings and probable cause of his condition. :cry: Also enclosing invoices. The RSPCA have a duty of care to follow this up. They would be all to keen to do so if the BBC and Rolf Harris were around!! :roll: This has made me SO CROSS, :x as if Eve has not had enough to endure with losing little Bracken.(RIP xx) Well, that's got it off my chest. Any news re a homecoming Eve...?? Jane and Buns xx :D

I agree with Jane - you must follow this up - even if it leads to nothing. Are H & H ringed? If so, I would contact the BRC and advise them of the situation - I am not sure how it works but maybe the BRC will follow it up.
Good luck.

Only just caught up with this post ,sorry to hear of your poor buns hips, what a nightmare. Ive never heard of any breed of rabbit being prone to hip displacia, ive come across all breeds being involved in showing but never heard anyone complaine about h/d. Arthritus is different its a problem with b/hares, because of there very fine bones they are prone to arthritus. Hope your buns are soon on the mend. val

taylor v 109 said:
Only just caught up with this post ,sorry to hear of your poor buns hips, what a nightmare. Ive never heard of any breed of rabbit being prone to hip displacia, ive come across all breeds being involved in showing but never heard anyone complaine about h/d. Arthritus is different its a problem with b/hares, because of there very fine bones they are prone to arthritus. Hope your buns are soon on the mend. val

ts not common in rabbits at all thats why, my vet has never dne the op on a rabbits, hagrids the first, this is a heavy dogs problem and a cat problem (obviously because of the amount of times the get hit by cars) but he did said that he would say giant breeds are prone to it especially in bad breeding!

unfortunately hags was just one of the unlucky ones but it is also heritory so hermonie may also have it!

cazza269 said:
god thats really awful eve, I am keeping everything crossed that hermione doesnt get this, poor hagrid :(

so am i cause shes bigger than he is, plus he has another hip that could go too! :cry: :cry:

Towsbuns said:
How is Hagrid now Eve?
Is he now using the leg?

he is alot better now marie! thanks for asking but no he is still dragging the leg :roll: hes been back to the vets and the vet said he definately as feeling there so must still be sore (afterall it is an aggressive op) and as he has never done this on a rabbit cant predict healing time, but did say dogs lake 4 days, well tommorrow is 10 days :cry:, he has his staples out tommorrow!

thanks for asking though

Eve x

Back