• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gut stasis (again) U/D post 51 good news

Ok I have the fibreplex and metacam and I've given her 0.25 metacam and 2ml fibreplex. However now I look at thefibreplex box there's no indication of how much to give. What I thought said 2-3ml is actually the number of doses to give in a day.:? Can I still give her Infacol andhow often can she get that?

She is still getting the liquid zantac and metoclopramide

I had to give 0.4 of metacam to Bob for up to 4 days after his serious bout of stasis (he was also in the hospital for 4 days). I'm not a vet obviously but this is what I did/was told: 1ml per kg of weight of fibreplex up to 3 times a day for 1-2 days. Bob aboslutely loves this stuff and I think they've just added carrot flavouring too so hopefully it won't be difficult to feed. I've also given Bob infacol when he's been on the other bits too (metacam and the naughty cisapride). Many of the sites say it's ok as it's such a mild product. I really really hope she starts to improve properly soon - I know what you're going through. Any movement is encouraging, as is eating and pooping. Bob wasn't himself for a good 4 days after we got him home. Sending good bunny vibes...... x

Thanks Bobble that puts my mind at ease a bit.

She's milling around the garden grazing on the grass just now. I'll give her more infacol when I come back tonight to give her the Zantac and metoclopramide. I need to go back to my flat just now as my partner has been unwell for a good hile too.:lol: Thank goodness I'm not employed at the moment.

I had to give 0.4 of metacam to Bob for up to 4 days after his serious bout of stasis (he was also in the hospital for 4 days). I'm not a vet obviously but this is what I did/was told: 1ml per kg of weight of fibreplex up to 3 times a day for 1-2 days. Bob aboslutely loves this stuff and I think they've just added carrot flavouring too so hopefully it won't be difficult to feed. I've also given Bob infacol when he's been on the other bits too (metacam and the naughty cisapride). Many of the sites say it's ok as it's such a mild product. I really really hope she starts to improve properly soon - I know what you're going through. Any movement is encouraging, as is eating and pooping. Bob wasn't himself for a good 4 days after we got him home. Sending good bunny vibes...... x

Today she is much more like herself and was running around in the garden with Roly earlier when I went to give her her medicine. She always seems to take medicine when she feels ill but she struggles like mad if she doesn't. Now she has turned into a wriggling monster I assume she's feeling better. Hopefully she'll continue to get better, I reckon she's maybe at about 95% back to normal now and has stopped doing the sore tummy stretches.

I wonder how long she'd have been in the vet had they given the fibreplex and metacam first. My guess is not as long. Just under £300 is a lot of money to shell out on treatment that never really worked. :?

I'm just thrilled that Honey is more like herself again. Yes I know the "wriggling eel syndrome" when they're on the mend too!
I hope that your new vet is more experienced in treating rabbits.

Please remember those tiny molar spikes. They can recur, but don't explain why Honey gets stasis at this time of year. Hoping that the lovely new shed does the trick for you! Also hoping for a rapid recovery for all the "sick" in your family! :D:D

brilliant news :)

i just want to say that even with the correct treatment within a few hours Alvin can still take days to get over a stasis episode.
ive found that if they survive £300 is well spent because it DID work as they are still alive :D:D:D

i just want to say that even with the correct treatment within a few hours Alvin can still take days to get over a stasis episode.
ive found that if they survive £300 is well spent because it DID work as they are still alive :D:D:D

Very good point Donnamt. :D:D:D

I know that the money shouldn't be an issue but to someone that's unemployed I'm afraid it is. I'm overjoyed that she is now back home and more or less well again but I could really have used that money.

Obviously you have a bunny that's prone to stasis too, I think Honey's had about 4 episodes that have required a visit to the vet since we've had her and a couple of others we managed to sort ourselves with pineapple juice. 1 time she arrived at the vet to be seen and started eating the greens in her carry box which was a bit of a surprise.:lol:

Each time she was given the pain relief and the fibreplex and each time she never stayed more than a night at the vet. It just seems an almighty coincidence that this time she wasn't given the same meds and took far longer to recover. I can't think of the original treatment she was given as a success. On Thursday she was still showing signs of having an uncomfortable tummy and this continued until she was given a dose of the metacam and fibreplex on Friday which I had to ask the vet for myself.

I just can't help but think if she was given the old meds to start with it would have saved me and my parents a lot of work and worry. :( I'm not going to be bitter about it as at the end of the day I have her back. I'll just know not to take the rabbits to the same vet in future as bunnies are obviously not their thing.:(

pretty much back to normal now, she was chasing Roly around the garden earlier, must still have dominance issues with him.:lol:

The best bit was where he turned to face her and when she got close he jumped straight up into the air. she ran under him and couldn't seem to work out where he had gone.:rolleyes::lol:

we went and bought lino, vents and a staple gun/staples and so it won't be long before they're in the shed.:D

How is Honey today? :)

yaaaaaaaaaaay i love to hear when demons are back to 100%

i have everything crossed no more stasis for many many years :D

pretty much back to normal now, she was chasing Roly around the garden earlier, must still have dominance issues with him.:lol:

The best bit was where he turned to face her and when she got close he jumped straight up into the air. she ran under him and couldn't seem to work out where he had gone.:rolleyes::lol:

we went and bought lino, vents and a staple gun/staples and so it won't be long before they're in the shed.:D

Great news, am really pleased for you, what a relief!

I'm just so pleased for you all, you have no idea!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Yep it sounds like a bit of dominance issues but well managed by the buns. Honey must be feeling well now.
I reckon you've got your work cut out with the shed, & life in general.
Wishing you all the best there, & for your future :wave::wave:

Back