• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grumpy rabbit/ losing her hearing

MrBunnsey

New Kit
My 3 year old lionhead rabbit Lottie, has been on and off grumpy with me recently. Her mood changes very quickly, one minute she wants to be petted, the next she's jumpy and runs away foot flicking. We're staying with my parents temporarily and she isn't as grumpy (or as cuddly) with them. She seems to have lost her hearing though not completely. She has been checked over by the vet who couldn't find anything wrong, the vet says this is common with floppy eared buns. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what I could do to help her?

I do not know about this. There is someone on the forum who knows and I hope you can get help. I hope your rabbit gets better soon.

I've not heard of young lops loosing their hearing, although I've never had a lop. Is she spayed? Is the staying at your parents new? If so, perhaps the change of environment has made her a bit unsettled, especially if she's unspayed as she may be a bit territorial.

Many Lops are hard of hearing, one of mine is stone deaf. Unless the loss of hearing was sudden in onset I doubt that would account for her behavioural changes. It is more likely to be due to being in a different environment and if she is not spayed it may be hormonal too. Does she have a companion Rabbit ? Rabbits do need a companion of their own kind if at all possible. Having a companion could improve her psychological state.

Thank you for the replies

Yes, she's been neutered (she came from a rescue). We've been at my parents for a year now, so she's very settled in.

She lives with her brother.

BaCTUzXm.jpg

Lottie is the one on the left

Last edited:
Back