• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying/neutering & bonding

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
Once all my bunnies are fixed I want to bond them... in good time not right away.

I understandthat just because a male rabbit is neutered and a female rabbit is spayed doesn't mean that they will get along and even once a buck has been neutered it can still be aggressive to the other bunny or the other way around and one bunny could just end up scared of the other rabbit. Lacey for example is a genital docile bunny she got on very well with the babies but when she see's Lucky her tail goes up and she totally changes to wanting get her teeth into Lucky and Lucky can be just as bad and he has been neutered. Lambchop is scared of Lucky because Lucky will chase him and Lacey will have a personalty change. so even after they have all been fixed there is no guarantee that things will work out...

I would have thought with Lucky neutered it should be fine to bond him with one of the others?

No, there's no guarantee that they will get on even after neutering and waiting at least 6 weeks for healing and hormone levels to settle down. I wouldn't even attempt any bonding before then as if they fall out, there's little if any chance later on of forming a successful bond. Give them the best chance by neutering and waiting, then bond on neutral territory.

I've found an even cheaper rabbit vet to get them done. I might just see if I can get them done in a months time I just wanna keep an eye on there health for now.

When I see pens of many rabbits together I often think to myself how do they do that and when I ask I get told some are fixed and others aren't so a very mixed bunch but obviously no un-fixed bucks with Does so no breeding can happen. I'm always seeing mixed rabbits together at the city farms.

I have heard that bonding trios can be particularly difficult. I don't know how you would go about bonding all three from scratch, it may be best to bond one pair and then try adding the third at a later date or asking a bonding service for help with it. I found my female much more aggressive in the bonding process despite her previously having a mate, whereas my male had lived alone before I adopted him and had also only recently been neutered, but he just wanted to be friends from day one.

I think the most important thing is to take things really slowly once they're all neutered, see how they recover and whether they're calmer generally.

I can bond Lacey and Lucky together without too much effort... Once I get Lambchop fixed there is a chance I can bond all tree together but there is still a huge risk of fighting regardless of neutering. I will just have to see how things pan out. I think they'll be a good bunch to bond together without too much difficulty.

Back