• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

growing herbs and grass etc.. attempt 2! *any gardeners out there! a question!*

You can always put a plastic bag over the top and elastic band them round the pot, it acts like a propragator, should speed things up a little. They just need to be kept moist and warm, so your windowsill is ideal.

i knew there was a tip like that, i just couldn't remember what it was! so thank you! :)

Herbs grown for supermarket veg sections are often raised in environments with very high light, heat and moisture levels and won't live long in a domestic environment. They're not ideal if you want a long term plant, you'd be better either growing from seed or getting a plant from a garden centre.

You can sometimes succeed by unpotting the plant, separating out all the individual plants, and potting them up in bigger pots, so they have sufficient space. Usually when you buy "a plant" it's actually lots of separate small plants, squished into one pot. Mint and parsley are good candidates for trying to keep going.

Wait till you can see the roots coming out of the holes in the bottom of the pot - that's when it's ready for a bigger pot. Potting them on too soon can damage them.

thanks for the tip. the roots weren't near the bottom of the little pots yet so the plant obviously wasn't meant to be moved yet! :roll: at least i only tried one, so the others hopefully will be ready soon when they have grown more. :) my thyme and basil is doing really well so far so i hope it continues. :)

does it matter what the weather is like outside when moving indoor plants out?

the thyme and basil have roots coming out the bottom of the little pots now so they are ready to be moved outside. but it was so windy and cold today that i thought it might not be a good idea.. but i don't know. :?

You can start leaving them out in the day and bringing them in at night, now. This is to start toughening them up, while protecting them from any late frosts.

After the last predicted frost date you can leave them out 24/7 - ours is may 21st, you're a bit further north so maybe a touch later.

You can start leaving them out in the day and bringing them in at night, now. This is to start toughening them up, while protecting them from any late frosts.

After the last predicted frost date you can leave them out 24/7 - ours is may 21st, you're a bit further north so maybe a touch later.

oops, the ones that are already out won't be happy then! :shock:

oops, the ones that are already out won't be happy then! :shock:

They will prob be ok cos it's been very mild recently - it's just if you get a surprise frost, tender plants like basil and coriander can be killed.

Although I forgot and left mine out the other night and we have a little frost, they were ok though, I was lucky!

They will prob be ok cos it's been very mild recently - it's just if you get a surprise frost, tender plants like basil and coriander can be killed.

Although I forgot and left mine out the other night and we have a little frost, they were ok though, I was lucky!

it's quite cold tonight but i've had to leave them out as there is nowhere to put them in here anyway! the ones that are out are the parsley, grazing mix and dandelions, so hopefully they will be fine.

and i can't believe i put the coriander in with the parsley by mistake and it's only gone and started growing! :roll: so a nice mixed pot then! :lol:

the thyme and basil on the windowsill is still doing well but there are quite a few roots coming out the bottom of the pots now so i will move that outside soon. and my parsley has a single shoot! :thumb::lol:

Back