• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving Bunny and New Companion

Cato86

New Kit
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting in the forum :wave:

On Friday of last week, my little man Archibald Bunny crossed the rainbow bridge after suffering from GI Stasis. I adopted Archibald nearly 2 years ago, he was only 5 years old when he died. Archie left behind his companion, Delilah Bunny, who I adopted one year ago, she is 2 and a half. Archie and Delilah were incredibly close, it only took a few days to bond them and they did everything together. Delilah began to decline after Archie passed, she ate very little, she was despondent and I could see her fading away. I made the decision to get her a new companion as she had never been alone.

Along came Kevin, a 3 and a half year old cashmere lop x from the RSPCA. I waited 2 hours to meet him on Saturday and when I did, I held him and he was so incredibly matted and skinny, I knew he had to come home with me. He is de-matted, brushed and looking super fine now, but I have noticed his eyesight is very, very poor.

Delilah seems to want to be his friend, on first meeting there was some chasing on her behalf, but they ended up with her grooming his head and sitting next to one another. After a few more meetings, Delilah seems to be a little full on for Kevin, she runs at him and he gets a fright and bolts, so she chases him. He is currently in his hutch and she is lying outside up against the bars right next to him and he is at ease with her there. She so badly wants to be his friend and sit with him but he is so timid and runs whenever she comes near. I don't know if maybe he is scared in wide open spaces like the bedroom, should I try a smaller room?

I feel like I was spoiled with Archie and Delilahs introduction as it was so easy, and I think as I am still grieving Archie I am expecting too much from Kevin and expecting him to be Archibald when he is busy being his own little man.

Does anyone have any tips on introducing a bold, brassy rabbit like Delilah to a little fella with poor eyesight who jumps at every sound? The first meeting was so good, how do I recreate that?

Welcome to the Forum and I am very sorry you lost your rabbit. The big issue will be the area is Delilah's and female rabbits are notoriously territorial, so you need to introduce them in an area she doesn't frequent, if possible. See how they get along when in an unfamiliar space and once together try to keep them that way for a few days, so they can start to relax around one another.

Delilah may still be missing her friend and of course the new rabbit will smell differently so this could be a hindrance, or it might not be. Also, you know nothing about the new bunny, how he was living or being cared for. He might have been alone for a while - I assume he is neutered?

I hope this works out as you are doing the right thing in getting Delilah another friend. Let us know how it progresses.

Back