• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a new bunny...

Just going to add my comments!
I was one of the people that asked Jane why she had decided to get Lopsey...I asked politely and was purely interested as I was aware she had so many rescue buns I was suprised..I did not "**** her off" as I too know Jane is a very good bunny owner and loves her pets to bits.

Quote by Honeybunny from original thread" He looks lovely but I'm afraid don't agree with buying buns from breeders I don't want to start an argument as everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it..just how I feel..
Would be interested to know why you've fallen for that particular bun Jane as you seem so supportive of buns in rescues? Does he remind you of one you've had before? And i do understand how sometimes a particular picture just pulls at you"
quoted that so people understand I was not one of the people personally attacking Jane.

My view is if you buy from a petshop it is just an item of stock that will be replaced..very few petshops give out any advice let alone correct advice. There are some breeders who care very much about their animals but they are not the ones supplying shops..or one of the hundreds of back yard breeders trying to make money out of the poor bunnies they breed.

Yes the rabbits in the good rescues are safe and well cared for, as someone pointed put earlier..but unless we can home those we cannot take in any more....I have had to turn away approx. 30 rabbits this week alone and worry about their fate :(
I do respect freedom of choice but find it hard when people who are aware of the numbers of rabbits in need and the rescues who can't cope with all the unwanted pets, support a trade that causes so much misery to so many animals.
And as for the argument about rabbits dying out if petshops stop selling them..well not many petshops sell puppies and kittens anymore thank goodness, but cats and dogs are still too numerous for the homes available.

Out of breeder, petshop or rescue I would only ever get an animal from a rescue because I do not agree with the sale of animals.
I have my rabbits and my cat because I wanted to give them a home after they had been abandoned /neglected /threatened with being PTS.

I can understand some of Squishy's points- each animal is an individual and deserves a home as much as the next, but I feel by buying from a petshop or breeder is to perpetuate the sale. However, if I felt an animal was in danger- ie) surplus breeder stock/ill then I would take it.

This is MY opinion and I would not have a go at someone for going to a breeder or petshop. :)

Back