• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a new bunny...

Makes perfect sense :thumb:

I used to breed my cresteds and we tried to only have two litters a year, one in spring one in summer (luckly my dogs came in season like that) and avoid the christmas season for breeding because they where only after puppies as presents around there.

I used to breed a lot of my animals but I would only breed if I knew I had homes for atleast 3 babies before I did it. And I would always keep the babies I couldn't rehom... (Prolly why I ended up with 12 hutches at one point :lol: )

same here, our baby lara, had a gorgeous litter few years ago, have stopped breeding with her now, she is an old lady now, and had some top quality puppies, she had hers in the april time.

from working at the home i know full well how bad xmas is!

Jo
xxxx

My ex show dog had one litter and I kept her daughter and she had one litter, I show Skeebee (the daughter) occasionally still, but I have no plans for another litter for a very long time now.

I must admit I do miss the shows, I missed crufts for the first time this year in five years, (damn Uni) as I moved out i dont get to spend the time with my doggy any more :(

still, enough of the doggies this is a wabbit forum :p
(just dont let my pooch hear me saying that)

Jo
xx

:lol: :lol:

I think sometimes my dog would pretend to be a bunny if it ment getting attention. But true need to go back to bunny talk :lol:

It makes me sad to see people breeding more animals that are likely to end up neglected and suffering in a box in someone's garden. But you have the right to do it, being human and able to have control of your life. Rabbits don't have control, and people can be dreadful to them. I feel responsible for every rabbit that comes to me, and for future generations that could also suffer, which is why I neuter them all. I won't be responsible for that suffering, I won't let it happen to any animal if I can prevent it. If you are comfortable sending rabbits off to that sort of fate - and once they leave you you have no way of stopping it from happening either to them or to any decendants of theirs, and the odds are stacked that it WILL happen, then that is your perogative. I don't understand how you can do it, but you undeniably can.

Buying from a pet shop is tricky, as the animal in front of you needs a home. In my view people shouldn't be put in that position, seeing a pitiable creature in a shop and taking it home out of fear for its future half the time, buying on whim at a child insistance the other half :roll: I'm sure the pet shops that are bad sell more animals because people feel sorry for them, meaning more animals pass through that shop being treated badly :( It is a vicious circle. It really shouldn't be allowed :x :x Supporting them seems to me to always be a mistake, but one that it is hard not to do sometimes :? I'm not going to flame anyone for feeling for a poor stressed little rabbit likely to be whisked off to a bad home at any time or to be returned to a breeder who is unlikely to be prepared to care for it once returned. I've done it myself in the past :? But in the long run helping that one rabbit will hurt more rabbits. That is a hard fact. But life is hard, and we all make mistakes. The thing to do is learn from them and try to do better next time.

doorkeeper said:
It makes me sad to see people breeding more animals that are likely to end up neglected and suffering in a box in someone's garden. But you have the right to do it, being human and able to have control of your life. Rabbits don't have control, and people can be dreadful to them. I feel responsible for every rabbit that comes to me, and for future generations that could also suffer, which is why I neuter them all. I won't be responsible for that suffering, I won't let it happen to any animal if I can prevent it. If you are comfortable sending rabbits off to that sort of fate - and once they leave you you have no way of stopping it from happening either to them or to any decendants of theirs, and the odds are stacked that it WILL happen, then that is your perogative. I don't understand how you can do it, but you undeniably can.

See technically with that paragraph you are saying that everyone who buys a bun from a breeder is going to neglect their new pet.

Squishy said:
If the petshops stopped selling pets, then the only place to get them would be rescues and breeders.. Well the pet shops are already getting from the breeders so what difference would it make?

Because there is a big difference between a responsible breeder breeding a few litters a year as raven_guest describes and the majority of breeders supplying petshops. Particularly those supplying large chains. You only have to look at the health issues. Going to a breeder doesn't guarentee good health but it certainly reduces the chances of teeth problems and a youngster that dies two days after getting home.

Most responsible breeders are as anti selling in petshops as rescues. Would you have happily given your litter of puppies away to someone else and had no say in who got them and what happened to them?

Tam

As long as there are rabbits in rescues i will never go to a pet shop or breeder

I have 2 babies here who have been waiting for a home since the day they were born
my own 2 rabbits were fosters and had ZERO interest in them but i still see people going off to pet shops and breeders even though these buns are in need of a home, i do think some people can be very shallow when it comes to getting a new rabbit, not directed ant anyone in particular but i just dont see how people can pass by the many needy rabbits and go and buy one.

And if people say they are too far away, well one of my fosters are travelling from liverpool all the way down to surrey to her new home, so its not as if transport cant be arranged.

I don't give hastle to people who get buns from breeders or pet shops, Especially if they've rescued buns too. I supported Jane 100% when people slagged her off for getting Lopsley, but she has taken like, 50+ rescues. I agree its their choice where they get their bun from, but I was just saying that I would always choose a rescue bun, over pet shop/breeder bun. They repay you over and over, & thats what makes me feel good. xx

beckiboo186 said:
I don't give hastle to people who get buns from breeders or pet shops, Especially if they've rescued buns too. I supported Jane 100% when people slagged her off for getting Lopsley, but she has taken like, 50+ rescues. I agree its their choice where they get their bun from, but I was just saying that I would always choose a rescue bun, over pet shop/breeder bun. They repay you over and over, & thats what makes me feel good. xx

Thank you Becki.
I think it is grossly unfare to make the assumption that every Bunny bought from a breeder/petshop will end up being neglected. The same could equally apply to a Bun otained from a Rescue :(
Whilst I fully endorse the idea that buying from a Rescue is best it is NEVER going to stop Breeders breeding or Petshops selling rabbits.
I firmly believe that we can only do 'what we can do'. By which I mean give the best possible care to our rabbits, where-ever they came from and that our Rabbits DO NOT breed.
Yes I DID buy Lord Lopsley from a RESPONSIBLE Breeder (although according to SOME there is no such thing) Despite all the hassle (some of it very unpleasant) doing so caused me I certainly dont regret it.
I wont say more on that as it'll only fan the flames but I hope we can all express our opinions and accept that some will disagree. But that does not mean we dont all care VERY MUCH about Rabbits.
Although according to some people I do not.......
Janex

90% of my babies have gone to be houserabbits or adults pets which I think is best. I never sell them as a kids pet as they will be forgotten in a week (if they're lucky)

Im gonna leave this thread now, Im reeeeeeeeally sorry if i offended anyone, i didnt mean to, just voicing my opinion, I know your all perfect bun owners, and also, perfect friends :wink: :D Xx

beckiboo186 said:
Im gonna leave this thread now, Im reeeeeeeeally sorry if i offended anyone, i didnt mean to, just voicing my opinion, I know your all perfect bun owners, and also, perfect friends :wink: :D Xx

You've not offended me mate :D :D
Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
But that does not mean we dont all care VERY MUCH about Rabbits.
Janex
What? Jane you are the most caring person on RU. You have 33 buns (i think :D ) and you still give them so much love and attention and take great care of them. :D

bunny_burrows said:
Jack's-Jane said:
Janex
What? Jane you are the most caring person on RU. You have 33 buns (i think :D ) and you still give them so much love and attention and take great care of them. :D

I agree - I never thought it would be possible for anyone to have that many pets and look after them all properly but there are a few people on this site (Jane being one) who have changed my opinion. I still find it amazing, but I do now believe it's possible! :D

Aliandbuns said:
bunny_burrows said:
Jack's-Jane said:
Janex

I agree - I never thought it would be possible for anyone to have that many pets and look after them all properly but there are a few people on this site (Jane being one) who have changed my opinion. I still find it amazing, but I do now believe it's possible! :D

The only reason I am able to care for so many rabbits is because I have no family (O/H,Kids etc) to think about. I have been medically retired, I never go out socially (The Hopper Group was my first social event in over 6 years!!) I never go on holiday (Last one was pre-bunnies in 1993) Basically my Buns are my life.
Most people have a broader life than me and so I can certainly understand how they find it hard to understand how I can care adequately for 33 Buns.
:D :D :D :D

Janex

I just want to say although I would no longer feel comfortable getting a rabbit from a breeder or pet shop I would never have a go at anyone who did.
I admire Jane for the amount of rabbits she has and value her experience a lot. I would never have a go at her for having Lord Lopsley from a breeder. Everyone has the right to chose which rabbits they want. Phoebe came from a breeder and I don't regret having her at all.

Back