• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Get one friend or two, for older bun

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
Jess is on her own after her friend Phoebe was put to sleep a couple of months ago. I haven't got Jess a friend yet as I'm selling my house, wasn't sure about having a cage indoors with one of the rabbits in and having people view the house, and also because my hutch and run are old, I'd like a new set up but I want to wait til I move house due to transporting it around (would like a shed).

Anyway, my house sale has fallen through, its taking longer than I thought and Jess is getting restless. She has found two holes and escaped this past month when she has never tried escaping or bothered to look for a way out before. She often did a lot of sitting in the hutch when Phoebe was here, but now I rarely see her outside and the weather has been fine for it.

She is ten years old in August, but has no health issues, however I'm wondering how fair it is to put her with a rabbit who may need a new friend later if Jess dies soon. Is it better to get a pair and keep a trio, then when Jess goes the two left will still have each other? Or okay to get her a friend and then rebond that rabbit with another but having it experience the stress of a death and a second bonding, when Jess goes? Never had such an older bun and had to consider this! Any advice appreciated.

Personally, I would bond her with a neutered male - perhaps approach a rescue to see if they have a possible mate they could bond her with - I think she would appreciate that more than being part of a trio.

As for the future, there would be no reason why you couldn't re-bond the new rabbit with another mate.

Back