• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Geraniums

Ooohhh what a good thread Max, I haven't had any flowes in back garden due to fear for buns. I do have a clematis Montana grandiflora on one fence which was there before the buns. I occasion Cody and Rosie ate the fallen leaves quite a few times and we're ok - I always chased them and lifted as many leaves as I could. Is this type of clematis ok - not to feed to them but not as poisonous as I have read ??

Max could u post the link to the seeds u decide to order as I want to order the same so I don't choose the wrong ones. Would live some wee safe flowers out the back :)

Ooohhh what a good thread Max, I haven't had any flowes in back garden due to fear for buns. I do have a clematis Montana grandiflora on one fence which was there before the buns. I occasion Cody and Rosie ate the fallen leaves quite a few times and we're ok - I always chased them and lifted as many leaves as I could. Is this type of clematis ok - not to feed to them but not as poisonous as I have read ??

Max could u post the link to the seeds u decide to order as I want to order the same so I don't choose the wrong ones. Would live some wee safe flowers out the back :)

Nicky :wave:

I am not the best person to advise on poisonous plants, though in 'the old days' I used to write regularly for 'Rabbiting On' and I remember one month I advised on planting a rabbit safe garden. I did have the expertise of a lovely friend who was a gardening expert to guide my hand though :)

Regarding your clematis - I wouldn't have it in the garden. I have a honeysuckle, which I believe is 'safer', though my rabbits don't touch it. But that's just MY view - so I should check it out with other sources and hopefully someone will come back on this thread to clarify :D

At the moment I am looking at these:

http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/search.php?Go=%A0&q=geraniums

But I keep changing my mind, and also popping other stuff into my basket. The only problem is, the basket seems to empty itself after a wee while :shock: I have to keep refilling it and worrying that they will be out of stock in the meantime :lol:

Some more Geranium thoughts :)

I considered yesterday suggesting to you the possibility of raising from seed. However, it seems they are a bit tricky to germinate, mainly because they take so long to germinate and so it's easy to think they've failed when in fact they just need some more time. See this link: http://www.seedaholic.com/geranium-pratense-meadow-cranesbill.html. I think that Geranium pratense is the one we have here each year now, in increasing numbers. They self seed very well themselves :D Needless to say the rabbits love it. I think, therefore if I was going to try growing a hardy Geranium from seed, I would choose one of the native types for two reasons. Firstly, because we should all have more native plants in our gardens and secondly because if it is going to be difficult to germinate, I would think a simple, native variety might be the easiest to try.

I am tempted to try to grow some here and would buy from here: https://beehappyplants.co.uk/bee-plants/geranium-pratense/ :) In fact, the OH just looked over my shoulder and said "Ooh, are we having some of those this year?" :D In addition to food for the rabbits, I always try to select plants for the bees and hoverflies.

I don't know how much ground you have to devote to Geraniums, but here I am happy to have the named varieties in the cottage garden type bed at the front and also lots of wild flowers at the back.

Oh, dear, well I've somehow managed to order nearly £20 worth of wildflower seeds :shock::lol:

I blame it on the damp, miserable foggy weather :lol:

Some more Geranium thoughts :)

I considered yesterday suggesting to you the possibility of raising from seed. However, it seems they are a bit tricky to germinate, mainly because they take so long to germinate and so it's easy to think they've failed when in fact they just need some more time. See this link: http://www.seedaholic.com/geranium-pratense-meadow-cranesbill.html. I think that Geranium pratense is the one we have here each year now, in increasing numbers. They self seed very well themselves :D Needless to say the rabbits love it. I think, therefore if I was going to try growing a hardy Geranium from seed, I would choose one of the native types for two reasons. Firstly, because we should all have more native plants in our gardens and secondly because if it is going to be difficult to germinate, I would think a simple, native variety might be the easiest to try.

I am tempted to try to grow some here and would buy from here: https://beehappyplants.co.uk/bee-plants/geranium-pratense/ :) In fact, the OH just looked over my shoulder and said "Ooh, are we having some of those this year?" :D In addition to food for the rabbits, I always try to select plants for the bees and hoverflies.

I don't know how much ground you have to devote to Geraniums, but here I am happy to have the named varieties in the cottage garden type bed at the front and also lots of wild flowers at the back.

Thank you Omi :)

I too looked into the possibility of growing geraniums from seed. But when I did, I found that not only were they tricky to germinate, but that they didn't flower for the first 2/3 years :shock: No good at all!

On a quick search of geranium pratense, I found this link:

http://wildseed.co.uk/species/view/58

I haven't had chance to scour it - or the Internet - for growing from seed info, but I think buying some plants and some seed (just of the g.pratense) might be a good compromise?

I have a fair amount of ground which could certainly do with livening up with rabbit fodder :D

Thank you Omi :)

I too looked into the possibility of growing geraniums from seed. But when I did, I found that not only were they tricky to germinate, but that they didn't flower for the first 2/3 years :shock: No good at all!

On a quick search of geranium pratense, I found this link:

http://wildseed.co.uk/species/view/58

I haven't had chance to scour it - or the Internet - for growing from seed info, but I think buying some plants and some seed (just of the g.pratense) might be a good compromise?

I have a fair amount of ground which could certainly do with livening up with rabbit fodder :D

This sounds as though it would be a good compromise. It's basically what we have here with named non-native varieties in the front and some native wild plants at the back in spare ground. Also once your plants have become well established, you could dig them up split them up in the dormant season to make more.

Still haven't lifted the geraniums for you yet as it's still a bit too cold (for me as well :D ) I also have a blue one which has a furrier leaf and find the buns not so keen on that. I think I have some calendula seeds here I could send too. Can I also suggest getting some bronze fennel to dot amongst the flowers. Looks nice and is irresistible to buns.

Still haven't lifted the geraniums for you yet as it's still a bit too cold (for me as well :D ) I also have a blue one which has a furrier leaf and find the buns not so keen on that. I think I have some calendula seeds here I could send too. Can I also suggest getting some bronze fennel to dot amongst the flowers. Looks nice and is irresistible to buns.

Another rabbit-shaped vote for fennel here. We cut the stems down before Winter and they strip them like they would twigs :D

This sounds as though it would be a good compromise. It's basically what we have here with named non-native varieties in the front and some native wild plants at the back in spare ground. Also once your plants have become well established, you could dig them up split them up in the dormant season to make more.

I'm going to have to make notes ... Is it just the Rozanne that you cut down when it dies down, and then it springs up again in autumn, or should I cut them all down? I was at a garden centre today and trawled all through in the freezing cold. No geraniums :( It's too early, isn't it?

bunslave :wave:

Thanks so much :D

Bronze fennel ... I shall research! :D

I'm going to have to make notes ... Is it just the Rozanne that you cut down when it dies down, and then it springs up again in autumn, or should I cut them all down? I was at a garden centre today and trawled all through in the freezing cold. No geraniums :( It's too early, isn't it?

I can well imagine that garden centres won't get their plants in until they begin to show some shoots, probably in the second half of February. A plant at this time of the year is not going to look very attractive. I also think that you would be lucky to find the named varieties you have selected from a garden centre, depending on its size obviously. The potted plants from a garden centre or a nursery can be planted in Autumn or early Spring.

All hardy Geraniums will start to shoot around late Feb/early March depending on your location and also how the weather is each year. They will then (hopefully) grow prolifically throughout the Summer and will flower (mostly) until early Autumn. They are very tolerant of being chopped at any time during the Summer and will send up more shoots. Some people cut them down for the Winter in Autumn and this is fine. We tend to leave them until just before Christmas, to allow them to be used as shelter for wildlife (and occasional rabbit treats). The plants will then remain dormant, with a few odd sticks showing above ground, until the next Spring.

Last edited:
I can well imagine that garden centres won't get their plants in until they begin to show some shoots, probably in the second half of February. A plant at this time of the year is not going to look very attractive. I also think that you would be lucky to find the named varieties you have selected from a garden centre, depending on its size obviously. The potted plants from a garden centre or a nursery can be planted in Autumn or early Spring.

All hardy Geraniums will start to shoot around late Feb/early March depending on your location and also how the weather is each year. They will then (hopefully) grow prolifically throughout the Summer and will flower (mostly) until early Autumn. They are very tolerant of being chopped at any time during the Summer and will send up more shoots. Some people cut them down for the Winter in Autumn and this is fine. We tend to leave them until just before Christmas, to allow them to be used as shelter for wildlife (and occasional rabbit treats). The plants will then remain dormant, with a few odd sticks showing above ground, until the next Spring.

Thank you :)

I thought I was being a bit over keen trying to find anything nice :lol:

So although I can't find out where it says on the website, I guess places like Beth Chatto will not send plants out until late Feb/early March? I can order them now I guess, to make sure they don't run out of stock.

Just as an aside ... Calendula and Geranium ... Would there be anything else I can order from a website while I'm at it that would grow well/easily and be enjoyed by rabbits? I have pansies, but they are off the ground as I can't let them trample them to bits!

You do realise that any buns let loose amongst your plants will strip them right down within hours don't you :D Mine are kept behind bars.

For the fennel, I usually pop to my local notcutts garden centre and raid their herb section. They usually do the small pots 4 for a £5 or something like that and they do have larger sizes. Hyssop and lemon balm make lovely plants and the alpine strawberry plants are preferred over ordinary ones here :wave:

Fuchsia and nasturtiums are also good for late summer/autumn flower and I had to move a spirea goldflame as Tilly stripped it bare.
:roll:

Thank you :)

I thought I was being a bit over keen trying to find anything nice :lol:

So although I can't find out where it says on the website, I guess places like Beth Chatto will not send plants out until late Feb/early March? I can order them now I guess, to make sure they don't run out of stock.

Just as an aside ... Calendula and Geranium ... Would there be anything else I can order from a website while I'm at it that would grow well/easily and be enjoyed by rabbits? I have pansies, but they are off the ground as I can't let them trample them to bits!

Yes, certainly order your plants soonish before they run out of stock. I can't remember exactly when she's delivered plants to me. My comment regarding the garden centre was regarding the fact that the dormant plant in a pot would not look very attractive and so it's likely that garden centres would wait until the plants have woken up a bit. I would imagine that Beth Chatto possibly would send them earlier as you've already decided to buy it without seeing it :) And also I think that purchases from garden centres sometimes tend to be impulse buys and so they would rely on the plant looking good.

Other plants to try would be any of the Lamiums (Deadnettles) http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/search.php?Go=%A0&q=lamium. We've got L. galeobdolon, L. maculatum White Nancy and L. orvala. All of them grow very strongly here. I would certainly recommend Galium odoratum (see it in Twig's book too) http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/e-h/galium/galium-odoratum.htm. It looks wonderful almost all year round and spreads well. The only downside is that my rabbits are not that keen on it, but that doesn't mean that yours would be the same. Obviously also any of the Echinacea varieties.

Thank you all :wave:

Regarding the buns eating the plants ... Yes they do, but not to the same extent as yours possibly, as all my buns are dental buns. They can trample plants down with no trouble at all, and yes they can nibble leaves off, but they don't demolish at the same rate as buns with healthy teeth :lol:

I will enlarge my order to Beth Chatto! And look out for the bronze fennel. It looks superb :)

Ive really needed this post mightymax, im the same with geraniums and have been looking for some to plant. Ive ordered 5 sets of marigold seeds and i think only one is safe. I planted the calandula in trays 5 days ago and they are already growing lovely. I would love to grow some geraniums. x

Ive really needed this post mightymax, im the same with geraniums and have been looking for some to plant. Ive ordered 5 sets of marigold seeds and i think only one is safe. I planted the calandula in trays 5 days ago and they are already growing lovely. I would love to grow some geraniums. x

Nice to hear from you again :D How are you and the buns and the family?

I am going to have to get my skates on with calendula seed .. Where did you buy it from? x

Its been hectic here at lops lodge lol.. Ive finally got myself into a routine now after adding Bleu. Ive really missed RU but finding the time seemed to be impossible plus one of the dogs spilled a cup of tea on my laptop so had to wait for hubby to fix it. I got the seeds off Ebay for next to nothing. Thats where i got all my seeds last year. Didnt want to pay a lot incase i was a desaster at gardening :lol: but the bok choy was fantastic. How are you mightymax xx

Back