• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

General Anaesthesia for Rabbits

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Sorry for the frequent posts about this right now but I am getting nervous for Athena. (It might be in part because I lost Nessa so recently as well as general "my rabbit is having an anaesthetic done" nerves but anyway...)

To try and abate my fears, we popped back into the vet where she is booked in for her spay tomorrow. I wanted to meet the vet but instead spoke with the receptionist about the imminent procedure. I pretended I hadn't gone through spays with rabbits before although I have. She probably saw right through me but oh well.

Apparently the anaesthesia they use are:

Dexdomitor
Ketamine
Vetergesic

And then

Atipam for reversal.

Are all these bunny safe?

She would be sent home with metacam (for dogs) and optional Protexin Bio-Lapis.

I was happy enough with the other answers to questions I had (absolutely not to starve her, bring in a bunny lunch box of things she likes, metacam for after, bring her back in if she isn't eating the morning after. I don't like the fact we have to call THEM for an update post-op unless there has been something go wrong though.) but the actually anaesthesia drugs aren't known to me.

So yeah, any help?

This thread is a discussion about 6 years ago with regards Esme, it talks about anaesthetic protocols, they may have changed in that time though, I can't believe it was so long ago!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...pay-anaesthetics-appreciated&highlight=advice

Everything you have said sounds fine to me. What you say about you ringing for an update is how my vet deals with it for routine procedures such a neutering, dentals etc. They only ring after surgery with the serious stuff, so I wouldn't let that reflect on your general feelings about the vet.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well.

I guess I am used to being spoiled as our regular vet always courtesy calls, even after routine operations to let you know they are recovering nicely and when you can pick them up, heh. But thank you! I will look through the thread as I am sure it'll bring up some things I haven't experienced with previous does. :)

Sorry for the frequent posts about this right now but I am getting nervous for Athena. (It might be in part because I lost Nessa so recently as well as general "my rabbit is having an anaesthetic done" nerves but anyway...)

To try and abate my fears, we popped back into the vet where she is booked in for her spay tomorrow. I wanted to meet the vet but instead spoke with the receptionist about the imminent procedure. I pretended I hadn't gone through spays with rabbits before although I have. She probably saw right through me but oh well.

Apparently the anaesthesia they use are:

Dexdomitor
Ketamine
Vetergesic

And then

Atipam for reversal.

Are all these bunny safe?

She would be sent home with metacam (for dogs) and optional Protexin Bio-Lapis.

I was happy enough with the other answers to questions I had (absolutely not to starve her, bring in a bunny lunch box of things she likes, metacam for after, bring her back in if she isn't eating the morning after. I don't like the fact we have to call THEM for an update post-op unless there has been something go wrong though.) but the actually anaesthesia drugs aren't known to me.

So yeah, any help?

I am familiar with all of the drugs you have listed in the GA protocol. Many of my Rabbits have received them. Most Vets want to keep a Doe in post spay until they are eating a little and passing some poo. They may feel they need to give some prokinetics if her GI tract motility remains greatly reduced. It is good to hear that she will be sent home with pain relief. Sadly not all Vets deem this to be necessary, unbelievable really. I hope all goes well for Athena

This thread is a discussion about 6 years ago with regards Esme, it talks about anaesthetic protocols, they may have changed in that time though, I can't believe it was so long ago!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...pay-anaesthetics-appreciated&highlight=advice

Everything you have said sounds fine to me. What you say about you ringing for an update is how my vet deals with it for routine procedures such a neutering, dentals etc. They only ring after surgery with the serious stuff, so I wouldn't let that reflect on your general feelings about the vet.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well.

Bunny Buddy says it all here really :thumb:

Everything sounds fine. They are quite busy so I expect don't have time to call people who may not be able to answer their phones in the middle of the day. Thanks for that link BB xx

All good vibes for Athena. You are quite right to be concerned and I would be exactly the same!

@Jack's-Jane: if she wasn't being sent home with metacam, I would have cancelled the appointment there and then, and organised a new one with the regular vet. It's ludicrous to think that a rabbit could go through such an invasive operation without some pain relief! Thanks for confirmation on the safety of the drugs. :)

@MightyMax: thanks for confirming our regular & local vet spoils us rotten, haha. The link was certainly informative. :)

I work at a vets, though we have a different protocol, those drugs are fine in bunnies :) Buprenorphine (Vetergesic) is pretty common, good pain relief. They wouldn't use them if they weren't safe!!
The vets always phone the owners after op, but then the owner has to phone after to check on recovery - vets are usually very busy so it would be difficult to call the owners especially if they don't pick up and we have to keep trying etc.

my bunny is getting spayed too tomorrow - her poor uncle is bored of putting up with this

IMG_4331.jpg

my bunny is getting spayed too tomorrow - her poor uncle is bored of putting up with this

IMG_4331.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: One of my girls still insists on humping the other two, even though she's been spayed for 5 years, it's her way of showing them she's boss :lol:

Hope both lots of spays go well tomorrow, sending lots of nomming and healing vibes xxx

Good luck to your girl, amaeving.

Athena has just been admitted. Nervous doesn't even cut it. The practice seems competent and it has been nominated for a practice of the year award. Doesn't alter how I feel though!

Good luck to your girl, amaeving.

Athena has just been admitted. Nervous doesn't even cut it. The practice seems competent and it has been nominated for a practice of the year award. Doesn't alter how I feel though!

I usually try and keep myself really busy doing something until the 'allotted' time when I can ring. Well to be honest I usually ring earlier than they ask :lol:

It's a gorgeous day here - if it is with you, let it hold your spirits up for a while - and *smile* xxx

I usually try and keep myself really busy doing something until the 'allotted' time when I can ring. Well to be honest I usually ring earlier than they ask :lol:

It's a gorgeous day here - if it is with you, let it hold your spirits up for a while - and *smile* xxx

Ha, I'm studiously waiting out those 10 minutes before I was told to ring. It's becoming pure torture. Stayed pretty busy this morning though, doing the food shop and all that!

The day is pretty nice here too. Except, my head just doesn't like weather. I get a migraine if it rains *and* if it's sunny. I have way too many triggers, heh.

But thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm just looking forward to getting her back home now. :)

Athena is in recovery. :) She won't ever have kittens or uterine cancer. :D

She's still a bit sleepy, but I can pick her up at 4.30.

Now to keep myself busy for 3 hours until I have to leave to bring her home again.

Athena is in recovery. :) She won't ever have kittens or uterine cancer. :D

She's still a bit sleepy, but I can pick her up at 4.30.

Now to keep myself busy for 3 hours until I have to leave to bring her home again.

:thumb: Wonderful news, what a relief! x

Athena continues to prove just what an extraordinary bunny she is. She tried to periscope in her carrier as we were leaving the vets. As soon as she got home, she snuggled amongst her hay and started eating it. Gave her some grass for tea and she's eaten that like a trooper too. She's pooped and peed (the latter fastidiously in her litter tray) and is quite lively for a bun who had a general anaesthetic less than 12 hours ago.

I have a feeling Thena is going to be a nightmare to rest for the next 48 hours. But hey, I far prefer this to the alternative. I'm a proud bunny mama considering just how quickly she has bounced back. :)

Aw that's great news! It's so amazing how quickly animals recover from GAs.
I've booked Flo in for her spay, I think she will be a nightmare post op too...but definitely worth it if no uterine cancer :D

It can be crazy how fast they brush it off. My bridge bunny, Nessarose, was a different story though. Getting her to eat was like fighting an uphill battle, but worth it in the end.

Good luck to Flo! I hope she has the same recovery path as Athena. :)

Back