• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gabbie still nipping!

Jayne

Mama Doe
Hi sorry I'm here again! I posted last week about the little problem of nipping I'm having with Gabbie.She's a rescue bun and we've only had her and Sylvie for a week.They've settled so well and are just gorgeous (sorry haven't worked out how to do pics yet!) but obviously I need to pick them up to check them over and Gabbie nips me each time,she also pulls on my clothes which I'd rather she didn't as she might do it to my girls and catch their skin.I've said no when she's done it to try and train her,should I try holding her for longer or more times each day or shall I just do it a bit at a time (I know it's early days really) when she hasn't nipped I've said "good girl" to her and given her some of her pellets as a reward.She's approx 10/11 months old and has been neutered.Am I expecting too much too soon? I guess I just want them to love me as much as I love them! I read everyones posts and their bunnies seem so lovableand snuggly.After saying that though I wouldn't swap my two for all the world and hopefully they are better off with us than at the RSPCA waiting for a home.Please someone give me some reassurance! Sorry I've waffled on abit haven't I!

Sometimes their nipping and tugging at your clothing is a sign of affection as they attempt to groom you.

If it hurts another rabbit would let out a squeel, so often if you squeel when she catches your skin she will get the hint and do it more gently.

Nipping can also be a sign you are in her way or doing something she doesn't like, again a squeel or putting her down and turning your back on her (a rabbit insult) should help her to understand you don't like it.

Caz

Thank you I'll think of it as a sign of affection! I do like to be loved! I do sort of squeal when it happens in fact my husband and children all rushed out to me yesterday as they heard me and thought she'd really hurt me! but I was just being a bit dramatic to get my point over! She'd hardly touched me bless her.Maybe I ought to take up acting!

If you have only had the buns week they are still adjusting to their new environment. See what happens when you let them come to you. They are probably getting scared when you pick them up. grabbing the rabbit fast and lifting it into the air is similar to how they would be attacked by a predator. If the buns come to you and lets you pet her then you can slowly pick her up and hold her close to your body. this might help when you try and hold her, but remember, some buns just don't like being picked up.

best Wishes!

I think you might be right I'm probably expecting too much too soon! When I sit in the hutch with them they both come and sniff and nearly come up on to my lap so that's promising! I always kneel down when I pick them so it doesn't seem too high and don't hold them for long just so I can check them really,although I do stroke them gently so that they'll realise I don't mean any harm.I guess I'm going to have to be patient! I'm worse than my 11 and 8 year old daughters!

I've had my new buns for only three weeks (came from rescue) and I understand how Jayne feels - you just want them to love you as much as you love them and it is really hard when the initial signs aren't there.

However, my two are slowly coming round. Lucy is a little darling that loves a nose tickle and will let me stroke her now. Poppy gets a bit nervous at the nose tickle and is not keen on me stroking her back at the moment. However, she will give me a kiss and she loves giving me a forceful bodge with her nose if I am in the way, or have my back turned to her.

However, after reading another topic I am now fearful of a bite on the bum when she creeps up behind me :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know I was in the exactly same position as you when I first got my bunnies in May. They nipped me all the time! At least once a day...but now they haven't nipped in a couple of months except for eeyore yesterday cos he's getting fed up of getting picked up for medicine!! But thats understandable:) The point I'm trying to make is sometimes you may feel like they might never love you, but it just does take time. They soon learn that you're their ticket to food and treats and they'll love you to bits! :)

However, after reading another topic I am now fearful of a bite on the bum when she creeps up behind me
:lol: My 2 used to bite me on the elbow when I wasn't looking!!

Thank you so much for the reassurance.It's lovely to think that I'm not alone in my worries! I don't know what I'd do without you all!

Back