• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Furby to the vet - and probably Dylan too

Poor Buns :cry:

Personally I would not give yoghurt to a Bunny. This used to be recommended to introduce some 'good' bacteria into the guts. But Rabbits are lactose intolerant so yoghurt may actually cause more GI upset. Best way to give a probiotic is by giving some Fibreplex or a water soluble probiotic such as Bio Lapis

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/small...texin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/small-animals/digestion/protexin-professional-5g-sachet-single.html

With Furby's abscesses, has he had a skull Xray ? It sounds as though the core of infection is in a tooth root and this can involve some boney infection (osteomyelitis) This would lead to recurrent abscesses and would need a more aggressive antibiotic protocol. It could also account for his variable appetite as osteomyelitis is debilitating and painful.

Lots of vibes being sent xx

sorry I didn't text you back...it only came through at 3 this morning.
I would go with Jane and avoid the yogurt....it seems odd to be giving a bun yogurt to be honest. I have asome pro fibre pellets you're more than welcome to try with Furby...They only have a few months left before they are out of date so need to be used up.
I also have LOADS of broccoli for you :D
Have a sterile water spray thingy that you can borrow too...we got it when Rosie had an eye infection and it was a lot easier than faffing around with boiling and cooling water. you just spray it on the cotton wool and go.
Let me know everything is ok.x

Thank you all.

I will avoid the yoghurt then. I did think it was a bit odd. No, Furby hasn't had an X-ray. Maybe that should be my next step as the vet did say that one side of Furby's mouth had flattened teeth ie didn't look as though they were growing. It makes me so mad he has been used to breed from:shock: Probably loads of bunnies out there now with problem teeth.

I'll pick the stuff up when I next come over, Sam but not sure when that will be as you're busy when I'm not working over the weekend. I think I have some of Tues and Wed off.

I got some broccoli ends in Morrison and the woman tried to charge me for it :( She didn't in the end but it's put me off trying again.

Just hope my three poorly buns all recover quickly. The vet did say that Furby and Dylan's problems are likely to recur :(

I'm sorry, I have no advice really to offer, but just wanted to say your doing a fantastic job, and Im sure your buns really appreciate what you are doing for them. My bun benji lost a lot of weight, and my vet recommended to use 'Proxetin Pro Fibre' alongside his daily pellets to help him gain weight slowly. It has worked brilliantly, and although they are a bit pricey, in my opinion they are definately worth it!! You can buy a tub off the hay experts :)

Thank you. I know I used to give my Bridge Bun Sue oats and sometimes a small piece of wholemeal bread to boost her weight. It's difficult with Dylan as he is part of a quad and being a gentlebun often lets his two wives eat first. I have tried giving him food separately but the other buns just move from what they were eating to what I have given him, even though so far it has always been the same.

I think I will start with daily oats for him as it will be a treat too - and he is an old bun and deserves treats. I will order the Pro Fibre too as I buy my medication from Hay Experts anyway.

I so want him to live long enough to see the summer and to run in the garden again. I let him free range as unlike my other buns he is easy to catch.

Back